Brinkmann 2AA head inner diameter

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Here they are:

A LS/o, a brinkmann 2AA, Li-AA´s, a soldering iron, some wires, basic mechanical & electrial skills.

Sounds like the beginning of a nice evening doing some "novice-level" modding, right?
smile.gif

Now, just imagine the expression on my face when I checked the Brinkmann´s head inner diameter.

Had a good laugh? Ok, then further on
grin.gif

The LS/o just won´t fit ( ok, maybe if I´d try the largest sledgehammer I can find it will ).

Is there any way to determine the inner diameter of a Brinkmann´s 2AA head from the outside ( packaging, colour, accessories ) without opening the package? At least over here, they only come in this nasty kind of sealed blister-pack that Craig likes so much
grin.gif

TIA

Seth

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Tnx a lot, Wayne!

I guess I´ll just have to find someone with the proper tools to go the "first way".

Believe it or not, but it´s real hard to find a LS over here, not to mention a Legend 2AA.

So, using a "pill" ( where to get bare emitters? Ouch... ) or simply buying another 2AA isn´t the way to go
tongue.gif

A hint for all other LS-fanatics over here in germany:

You can get them from ebay here :
LS/o at ebay.de

Ledsys is a quite friendly guy, and if you have some patience with auctioning, you can get your LS at prices that won´t differ too much from prices in the U.S.
smile.gif

Hey, don´t say that was easy to find... it was me who asked ledsys to include the "Luxeon Star"-keyword in his auctions
grin.gif

Seth

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Seth,

It seems the Brinkmann AA flashlights used to have a smaller inside head diameter . I had one sitting around for about a year. I found out the most recent AA flashlights I purchased have a 3/4" inside diameter, which works quite well for mounting a 3/4" disc in, and a collimator. The spacing fits perfect, like it was designed specifically for this kind of mod.

There are 2 ways to use this older design with the smaller inside diameter. One is what I did mine. I used a 3/4" drill bit in a drill press, and machined out the inside to 3/4". You must remove the rubber on the outside of the head, and holding it with plyers works quite well. Just ream out the inside, but leave about 1/2" of threads for mounting the head.

Another way is to make a pill, direct drive. I just did it this way in one flashlight, to see if it would work, and it did. It can be turned on and off by twisting the head, or by using the tail cap switch. You only need to remove the reflector from the head and install the collimator in it's place, and screw the head on until it contacts the LS. This works quite well too.

If you have a drill press, the first way works quite easily. If you do not have a drill press, the second way also works quite well.

I cut the heat sinks using a hack saw and a bench vise. This is the hardest part of either mod.

Wayne
www.elektrolumens.com