The fish are in!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Found myself looking for these pictures and finally found the URLs...as posted awhile back in the archives.

BTW - the salmon are indeed starting to show up, it's that time of year! :thumbsup:

Our own CPF JOshooter stalking the mighty red salmon!

Cooler full of bounty!

Preparing the treasures.

Into the smokehouse for that "extra gourmet" flavor!

"Jarring" em' up.

Pressure cooking them.

Almost done - yeah till the next trip!

Ahhhh, the gold - I mean the REDS! YESSSSSSS!!!!

Oh yep, WE DO ENJOY OUR FISH!

metalhed

Enlightened
Please tell me you had some sushi or sashimi from that wonderful Alaskan salmon. Please....

Actually, I've got a frozen half salmon in the freezer...not as good as fresh, but still. Really sounds good. I am kinda' hungry. (rumble-rumble-rumble)

Great...now I've gotta' fish some salmon out of the freezer and cook up some rice.

Hello, sashimi!!! :D

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
turbodog said:
Around here, we call those minnows!
Do I need to dig out the 75-90 lb King Salmon or the several hundred pound halibut pics out?! :D

metalhed said:
Please tell me you had some sushi ar sashimi from that wonderful Alaskan salmon. Please....
As a matter of fact...YES! (and smoked, grilled, baked, broiled, etc.!)

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Beats working on the railroad or something I guess :huh2:

I had a partner (mining business) that made a yearly three week or month long pilgrimage up there to go salmon fishing. He always managed to catch some big ones, and beat every one else on the expidition.... But he reckoned that overall, through the years his salmon cost him about a thousand dollars a pound. by the time he figured in gear, travel, guide fees etc. Plus lost income.

Me, I'd rather pan gold or take pictures and let you guys do the fishing, canning and eating of the fish. ;)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ya put em in the cans?or ya was at packing plant im confused this am either way cool stuff.beware of the bears

freeze12

Enlightened
Sig... Oh My You lucky dog!!! As I mentioned in a previous thread.... Moose Creek & the Russian River... I really miss those days of catching the Salmon canning & of course...eating them...what I would give to eat that Salmon & times again!!! You are indeed in Gods country & I really miss Anchorage Alaska!!!!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great dish that most people cook to death (and that makes the house stink, too). I'd almost put up with the bugs and the bears in Alaska to fish there, not to mention the short commute from NY State.

BTW, you can't believe how many people think salmon that most grocery stores have in their seafood case came from upstream spaawning grounds (they're most often caught before they head into and up river).

For the rest of us lower 48'ers, wait for the price to drop a ton after the first week or so salmon is available -- and the prices should drop real soon if not already.

When I was a kid we used to have sockeye salmon in patties 'cause it was cheaper than burger. Times have changed a wee bit.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Salmon.... yummy!!
Had some smoked salmon just last weekend... :drool:
Never actually gone fishing for it, though. I should try it some time.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the country and the fish look beautiful.... hard to imagine what it would be like to visit :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
raggie33 said:
ya put em in the cans?or ya was at packing plant im confused this am either way cool stuff.beware of the bears
We catch them, we preserve them in jars in our own kitchen (tried cans - we like jars better), and we eat them!

We can up moose, caribou, & inexpensive cuts of beef as well. Really is tender after the pressure cooking. Makes it's own "gravy" inside the jar, then pour a jar over some boiled egg noodles - maybe add a can of cream of mushroom soup - YUMMY!

All of us have blessings around us wherever we live - one just needs to "find" them!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats very very cool like liveing off the land much repsect i have for that.plus ya eat good probaly the heatlhiest food out there is fish

BR549

Newly Enlightened
Back before the wife & kids came along, I used to make it up to Alaska to a place on Lake Clark called "The Farm" for a few weeks of hunting and fishing. Man those were good times - think I may still have a few filets in the freezer. Thanks for the pics

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...and the taste GREAT as well!

A few years ago I was visiting my brother back east and we must have caught a bushel basket full of bluegill - fried em' up that night with hushpuppies. They were GREAT as well.

I think as long as one takes proper care of their "bounty" immediately and eats it soon after catching - how can one go wrong!? :thumbsup:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting hungry just looking at those photos. One of these days I'm going to walk down the street and make a concentrated effort to get some stripers and bluefish out of the ocean.