Small Size & Ultimate Brightness

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got any ideas for a mod that can be done on any small flashlight (was thinking AA Mag or similar) that would make it extremely bright.

Now I know this has been asked before but here's the twist, It only has to last for lets say 3 - 5 minutes before it melts/explodes/bursts into flames etc
grin.gif

I'm open to any suggestion for LED or incandescent lights.

And yes I know this is a very silly thing to do but hey just think how much fun it would be to impress your friends with a 1 million candlepower Mag Solitaire
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by x-ray:
Anyone got any ideas for a mod that can be done on any small flashlight (was thinking AA Mag or similar) that would make it extremely bright.

Now I know this has been asked before but here's the twist, It only has to last for lets say 3 - 5 minutes before it melts/explodes/bursts into flames etc
grin.gif

I'm open to any suggestion for LED or incandescent lights.

And yes I know this is a very silly thing to do but hey just think how much fun it would be to impress your friends with a 1 million candlepower Mag Solitaire
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you are willing to consider 4AA lights taking PR bulbs such as the Princeton Tech TEC40, then I would suggest 4AA NiCd or NiMh driving an HPR-53. It will be a race between the bulb blowing and the reflector melting. You should get around 110 lm while the fun lasts.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
At one time you could get AA lithium cells that were rated at 3 volts a cell, Two of those would almost melt down a mini-mag. All the AA size lithiums I have seen lately are rated at 1.5 volts. If you could find a lithium the right size to be able to stuff two of them in your mini mag or one in your solitair. Better yet just buy yourself a Brinkmann LX at your local Wal-Mart (about $20) and impress your self and your friends with about the brightest light you can buy for $20 or less and still be roughly the size of a mini-mag.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Sorry did not notice your London Address. You probly don't have any Wal-Marts there. I just picked up a Brinkmann Legend LX and it is very bright. If you check out some of the threads on this forum you will find there is a few different brands of lithium powered Mini-Mag sized flashlights. Most of these are knock your eyes out bright, and as in the case of the Legend will run for about a hour on a set of two 123A batteries. The Legend package says it is 10 times brighter than a standard 2 AA flashlight and I believe them.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks For The Advice Everyone.

Carbonsparky I too can't seem to find any 3 volt lithiums, Do you think putting 3 N size batteries in a mini mag would have much effect ?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA size 3+ volt cells are common as computer memory backups, try a computer supplier if you don't find another source. Don't use them in place of a standard 1.5v cell in anything you might fry!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I accidentally applied 2.4V to Solitaire bulb. It was *bright* for about "igni-second"! Bi-pin bulbs don't take over-voltage kindly.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Good to met another Uk torchaholic!
How sbout a Cyan 5W direct-drive luxeon in a 3AA cell torch as available from Maplin? Use high capacity nicads or Lithiumms though! The torch will put out seriously briliant light before it gets very hot!

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
How sbout a Cyan 5W direct-drive luxeon in a 3AA cell torch as available from Maplin? Use high capacity nicads or Lithiumms though! The torch will put out seriously briliant light before it gets very hot!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whoa, better put a 'dead-man switch' on that one. Otherwise it might burn a hole all the way to China when you drop it to save your hand from being branded.
grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa, better put a 'dead-man switch' on that one. Otherwise it might burn a hole all the way to China when you drop it to save your hand from being branded.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Um, . . . . from Lumileds, they show that the cyan 5W LS has a minimum forward voltage of 5.43, a typical of 6.84, and a maximum of 8.31, so why do you think 3 AA batteries would make it bright and hot? That's not even to the minimum forward voltage. . . . . . . . . . . .or am I missing something here?
confused.gif

Jonathan

Enlightened
If the goal is lots of watts very quickly from a 2AA tube, I'd suggest taking a look at the 2/3AA and 1/3AA sized NiMH and NiCd cells. You can certainly get higher voltage primary cells (eg. the 3V lithiums), but you can't beat the NiCd cells for low internal resistance, and the NiMH cells are a good second with higher energy storage.

This gives you a choice of 3.6V or 7.2V, to run the 1W or the 5W luxeons, or a suitable incandescent lamp. Running the ordinary maglight bulb with 3.6V of NiMH will probably be quite bright, though only for a short bulb life.

-Jon