Newbie - Arc AAA-P or Fenix L0P?

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of buying one of these. Which would you recommend and why? I have a L2P and an L1P body already.:touche:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC!

the arc has a runtime of like 25 hours on a single battery. it's smaller fits better on a keyring (or neck sheath). the Fenix only lasts 1 or so hours. it's too bright for a keychain light. did I mention the arc has a runtime of 25 hours!

the arc is built like a tank and has been dropped off of a cliff and survived to work again. (post has been lost in the old/new cpf)

Fenix IMO is a low quality high volume product

Doug

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime of the stock L0P is too short (for me) so I got a MillerMods 3-level L0P to replace my Arc AAA-P (3rd gen). He no longer makes the 3-level but still does a 2-level mod. If you go that way then you can have bright and long run time in the same light. Plus Luxeon tint instead of Nichia tint.

I love my L0P.

Greg

diggdug13 said:
ARC!

the arc has a runtime of like 25 hours on a single battery. it's smaller fits better on a keyring (or neck sheath). the Fenix only lasts 1 or so hours. it's too bright for a keychain light. did I mention the arc has a runtime of 25 hours!

the arc is built like a tank and has been dropped off of a cliff and survived to work again. (post has been lost in the old/new cpf)

Fenix IMO is a low quality high volume product

Doug

nethiker

Enlightened
You might as well get the Arc. It's a well made, classic light that belongs in everyone's collection. Since you already have a Fenix, go for the Arc.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, it really depends what you like. I had a Arc AAA-P on my keychain but I gave it to my girlfriend and than decided I should give a try to the Fenix L0P. I don't mind the 1 hour runtime compared to the 5 hour with almost full brightness of the Arc since I use rechargeables and I tend to charge often. The Arc is bright but has a bluish tint due to the 5mm LED. The Fenix is about two times brighter. Mine has a yellowish tint but much much whiter than the Arc (Luxeon lottery). About the build quality I agree that the Arc is buit like a tank but the Fenix L0P is also well built! Maybe the anodizing is weaker but I don't care much. I find both light really nice and I wouldn't hesitate to buy both if I had to. As many say here, buy both, compare and sell/give the other. ;)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF Cary, why dontcha stay awhile!

The Arc is and always will be a classic. I still carry mine every day, everywhere. That said, if my wife hadn't borrowed my L0P (permanently, to replace her Arc), I'd probably be carrying it.

The only issue, as digdug and greg point out, is the runtime. If you use it all the time, and not just for short bursts, you might want the Arc for the time between feedings. Still, I use rechargeables in both the lights, so it's not a big deal.

cheers, and welcome again,
daloosh

mahler9

Banned
I have both and never use my Arc AAA-P anymore. It's only saving grace next to the L0P is the relativly long runtime. The L0P puts an amazing amount of light out for it's size, also considering that it uses readily available batteries.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I,too, have both and have EDC-ed them at various times. L0P is great, white,bright and sexy,good for gifts too (nice presentation box with lots of trimmings etc).

But, I don't know why, I do prefer and feel happier with, the ARC.

If you buy one, ARC-oholism will come!

('natch - buy both and feel your pain) :lolsign:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I had an L0P, but the short run time made me worried it might run out in an emergency or just casual use like reading in the dark. I opted for the MM 3 Level L0P which I LOVE. 4-Sevens is still selling the MM 3 Level L0Ps, but at quite a premium. I would definitely choose the ARC over the single level L0P.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd have to say the Arc-P over the LOP. I like the beam of the LOP, the feel, fit and construction of the LOP, but the runtime is just does meet my requirements in an EDC/Keychain sized light.

DrizzitT

Newly Enlightened
Arc.

I carry and Arc while my friend carries a L0P. I've carried my arc for over 6 months with no visible HA wearing. His L0P which he carried for 3 months looks like its been through a war zone and back (the edges have all their HA stripped off. Beginning to happen on the sides too) It doesn't look pretty.

And my Arc runs forever. the tint may look ugly, but frankly, it aint gunna make THAT much of a difference in real life.

That said, I do have an Exolion, so the Arc is gunna get benched. :-D

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
For now, I'm carrying both the L0P and an older, dimmer Arc AAA Standard. I'm not using the Arc at all; the L0P is used in short bursts at work and home. I'm thinking of benching the Arc as well.

I *would* use the Arc at home during a power outage mounted on the peak of a ball cap for headlamp use.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I was at my brother in law's house when we had a blackout. The Arc (on an N-tail) was plenty bright for lighting the main hallway all nite. But the L0P was used for maneuvering around the house and garage.

daloosh