Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

KingSmono

Enlightened
Here's the article from SI.com

He was driving a Hayabusa (Fastest bike in production...) and wasn't wearing a helmet. He's in serious but stable condition.

I really don't understand why you would not wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. There are TOO many things out of your control... I mean sure, you could be the most cautious, skilled driver in the world... but if some guy not paying attention rams into YOU, and there's nothing YOU can do about it... why not just be safe and wear a helmet?? Especially if you have as much on the line as the QB of the reigning Super Bowl Champs! :shrug:

-Allen

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

i guess in that profession they feel invinciable and it doesn't matter the end result.

Poor guy... 4 years my junior...

Poor *******!

VWTim

Enlightened
Re: Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

I ride daily and if anything I'm a gear-wh*re. If anyone's seem the movie Faster!, it's a documentary on Moto GP racing. In the end they're asking the riders if they ride on the street? Most replied with a "HECK NO, it's dangerous out there" You can be the best rider around, but like was mentioned, it's everyone else that's trying to kill you.

KingSmono

Enlightened

I wonder what he'd do if helmets were optional in the NFL? :thinking: Seems more safe than riding a motorcycle without a helmet!

I don't know why it isn't mandatory in some states to wear helmets... It's funny to think that a guy in a Hummer can get a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt, but a guy on a motorcycle can't for not wearing a helmet. Which one is more likely to die in an accident?

-Allen

MoonRise

Enlightened

psst: In some states, it -IS- mandatory to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Search for "helmet laws".

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

on the Boston Sports talk radio WEEI today they spoke with an expert who was claiming "it is an adults decision".

I can respect that but don't know if they should have the choice. I have to wear my seatbelt and I hate it... they in my opinion (only an opinion) should have to wear 'em

In Masachusetts it is mandatory...

KingSmono

Enlightened

MoonRise said:
psst: In some states, it -IS- mandatory to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Search for "helmet laws".

I know, but my question is, why is it NOT mandatory in some states... I think if they're going to enforce "Click It or Ticket" nationwide to save lives that they should enforce helmet laws nationwide to save lives.

-Allen

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most folks I know who used to ride w/o a helmet either got minor road rash or a mini-face plant and started wearing leathers and a good helmet after that, or after seeing someone else get really messed up. I think it should be a personal choice thing, but also that nobody else should have to pay for your injuries if you don't.

Shoot, thirty years ago the dad of one of my buddies told him not to buy the $29 helmet and spend serious money on a good one. Why? He asked how many heads his son had and how much brain surgery cost. That and he didn't want to deal with his mother if my buddy crashed hard. He learned that lesson easily but the one on wearing leather instead of denim came at a slightly more painful cost.

Everyone has a different learning curve.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I used to ride a motorcycle, usually did but didn't always wear a helmet. It's a personal choice.

I feel bad for Roethlisbergers, but he made his choice. I feel worse for the Steelers.

Some athletes are required by their contract to NOT do things like ride motorcycles or skydive, etc.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

What troubles me is so many people want others to be forced to live their lives under the thumb of someone else. Whatever happened to freedom?

That guy, (I wish he would change his name to something shorter :) ), ain't like you and me. I know it's hard for the typical pea-brain to understand, but it's true. I don't know what makes him tick, but he won 15 out of 16 games his rookie year in the NFL. Maybe we should all ride around without helmets :).

Sure I'd like to give him some advice about motorcycles, and I'd like to give him some advice about quarterbacking in the NFL too, but I have a feeling the fool wouldn't listen to me :)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pennsylvania had a helmet law for 23 years, but it was repealed in 2003.

I feel the same way about helmet laws that I do about seatbelts:

It should be a personal choice, but if you DON'T wear either, then no one else should be responsible for the bills that result from it. If you can't afford to have therapy, see doctors, do whatever, and it was secondary to not having worn the available protective device, then YOU and only YOU should be responsible for the charges.

Bill

RebelRAM

Enlightened
You'd think a football player of all people would know to wear a helmet on a bike. Because last time I checked the velocity on a sacked QB is a lot slower than any bike!

A good friend of mine and former boss and longtime bike rider used to ride his harleys with just a skull cap. Yeah he went through a badboy biker phase, tattoos, scars, etc. But one day he traded in his harley on a street bike. A Triumph. Nice bike! He even decided to go out and buy a nicer helmet to go with this bike. He had the bike less than a week and a beagle ran out in front of him. He got the bike slowed down from 60MPH to about 30MPH, but he still hit the dog. Totalled the bike and got a trip to the hospital for a bad case of road rash and a few broken bones. Keep in mind this guy has 30+ years of bike riding experience and had a few minor wrecks before(mostly sliding out on gravel) This experience with the dog made him a believer! It took him about a month to recover from that. Then he bought another Truimph just like the one he totalled. And he bought a new helmet and full body armor. He wears it all the time now. My friend was also in the Army and had been in a few bad places during his service, been shot, wounded and who knows what else. He told me none of that compared to how bad road rash hurts and he's very thankful that he survived and is even more opinionated now about how riders should all wear the best safety gear they can afford.

Anyways, I'm not a bike rider, but I do appreciate them and I do love the sound of those 2 cylinder harleys when they are properly tuned. And I just thought I might relate a story.

I wish the Steelers QB a speedy recovery and I hope his experience has made him smarter.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

Safety equipment.... a topic sure to bring out strong feelings and opinions on both sides!

I can definitely sympathize with the arguement that it should be a personal choice. Instead of motorcycles, I ride bicycles... lots. A helmet is not required, but I always wear one. In the roughly 90,000 miles I've ridden in the last 16 years, I've come across enough loose sand, oil, or ice in corners to have my helmeted head bounce on the road a few times. Haven't bounced off of a car yet.

For folks who don't want to wear safety equipment, is it a matter of not really knowing the risks involved (death, being turned into a quadraplegic, serious maiming, having your face scraped along the road until it looks like hamburger, etc or just having a june-bug hit your face at 70mph), or a rational decision that these risks are worth the momentary pleasure of being unrestrained?

As always, there are a range of responses to any perceived risk. You might never go near a vehicle for fear of injury. At the other end of the scale, you might decide to jump the Grand Canyon on your motorcycle. In either case, it's important to really know what the risks are, and have an understanding and appreciation of those risks. I've seen enough friends and family who've been killed or disfigured in auto accidents, and buddies who've hit the ground hard enough to crack their bike helmets. For me, I don't find seatbelts or bike helmets uncomfortable or inconvenient at all!

regards,
Steve K.

VWTim

Enlightened
I'm with the above poster. If you don't want to wear a helemt or seatbelt...don't make me pay the insurance costs for your medical bills. Let me pay the bills for those that are injured with all their safety equipment.

jarobi

Enlightened
A good friend's brother died while putting around the yard, no helmet. He dumped the bike and his head struck a rock. Maybe 3 MPH. I'm all for brain buckets.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I think everyone who rides a motorcycle SHOULD wear a helmet, but I'm not willing to say that we should REQUIRE everyone to wear one.

My state requires every driver to have insurance. Perhaps you could make it so anyone who wants to ride without a helmet can do so if they carry some extra "super catastropic no helmet motorcyclist" health insurance?

Just an idea.....

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!

I dumped on a moped doing 30MPH and man, was I thankful for that helmet!

the helmet was a mess but my brains are good (some may disagree lol)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm hearing now that he also didn't have a license to drive a motorcycle. He had a learner's permit but had let it lapse...

He's an grown up guy who made his call. What he does about it next time he goes riding - assuming he ever does - is still his call. What lessons we take home from his accident is our call...

WNG

Enlightened
I'm a motorcyclist. IMO, he got what he deserved. He is not without resources, and he's supposedly an educated adult. He made the decision, now must live with their consequences. At least he lives.

I am not one who believes in mandatory 'safety' laws. Because as a few others pointed out, it errodes our personal freedoms. As responsible adults, we are supposed to know better and make the right call.
I would never ride without a helmet, gloves, full body coverage.

It's tiring to see this trend of catering to the lowest common denominator.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people and organisations blaming the bike or something else for his accident. Not his fault of course, he's a Superbowl QB.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I read an elderly woman turned in front of him. You can blame him all you want but he's a grown man who made his decision and will have to live with it.

Massachusetts has all kind of laws that they would like the rest of the U.S. to follow. I'm glad we aren't there yet...