Upgrading memory on notebook

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I have a Dell XPS M140 with 512MB memory. It has 256MB in each slot. Dell says that memory should be installed in matching pairs or it could hurt the performance. What I'm wanting to do it buy a 1Gb now and another down the road. If that's what I do should I remove both the 256MB and use just the 1Gb. It seems like 1Gb and a 256Mb would still be better than just the 1Gb

gessner17

Enlightened
As long as you buy Ram with the same clock (DDR400, DDR333) you should be able to run them together. It shouldn't hurt anything, if it starts freezing up more ramdomly then take it out. Oh, and if it just beeps before it POSTs thats a sign the memory doens't like each other also. Typically though, if they are a close match, it should work fine. I would recomend trying to buy RAM with the same brand chips if possible, I have always had the best luck doing that.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modern computers with fast processors use dual channel memory where both channels run simultaneously to double the memory throughput. This only works if the memory in each channel is more or less identical.

Two GB seems like a heck of a lot of memory to me. I'm happy with 1 GB, but it depends on what apps you want to run.

The last I knew, Dell maintained a user forum where fellow Dell owners can ask and answer questions. I've found it helpful in the past.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've used Crucial's memory app to select memory for my Dell boxes and lappy - never a problem, good prices and fast shipping.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
eluminator said:
Modern computers with fast processors use dual channel memory where both channels run simultaneously to double the memory throughput. This only works if the memory in each channel is more or less identical.

So does that mean I need memory in each channel for the best performance? I'd be better with 512 in each channel rather than 1Gb in just one channel?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've experimented with this in Mac laptops. Unless you're running benchmark apps or timing long winded photoshop actions you wont notice the difference. If it were me I'd put in the 1 gig and keep one of the 256's as the improved performance from having an extra 256 meg will almost certainly counteract any slow down in access from not having a matched pair.

The memory controllers do make it go faster if you have a matched pair, but it's not that much of a boost. In a laptop it's the slower buss speed, slower drive speed and the crippled processor and video card that make a much bigger difference in speed. I dont think you'll notice. But of course, YMMV :)

gorn

Enlightened
sbebenelli said:
So does that mean I need memory in each channel for the best performance? I'd be better with 512 in each channel rather than 1Gb in just one channel?

I have a couple of Dell laptops. Running a 1 gig DIMM and the 256 DIMM will work fine. If you get different clock speed memory it will default to the slowest speed chip.

I have a 1 gig and 512 in an old 8600 inspiron and don't have any trouble. My XPS M170 is running 2, 1gig DIMM and will out process my desktop computer.

You can run just one DIMM in your laptop without a problem.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Older computers don't have dual channel memory so it doesn't matter what you put in the slots, except that as stated above, the speed will be the speed of the slower memory module.

I think dual channel started being used about 3 years ago. With Pentiums, it's the ones with the 800 MHz FSB (or faster) that use it.

For all I know, it may not be used at all in laptops. (unless you use water cooling :) )

Last edited: