Maglite LED in Canada

piper

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Someone asked if and where the Maglite LED products were available in Canada.

They are available from Le Baron Sports

The Stores are in Montreal, Ottawa, Mississauga, and Markham. They also do mail order.

The upgrade modules are priced at C$ 19.94 (which works out to be a bit less than the price in US$).

piper

Newly Enlightened
:bump:

Just in case someone missed this (and no, I do not work for Le Baron or Maglite).

mosport

Enlightened
Thanks piper, haven't been to LeBaron in a few years but might take a look next time I'm in the area. Surprised that none of the national chains like Canadian Tire or Walmart carry the led lineup yet.

If you're considering purchasing, there's also a thread on the poor heatsink design.

Empath

Flashaholic
mosport said:
If you're considering purchasing, there's also a thread on the poor heatsink design.

Some of us may be getting the wrong impression from such observations. The "poor heatsink design" is actually a design to by-pass the need for a heatsink. The choice was "heatsink", or temperature control. Since the Mag's lamp socket is thermally isolated from the light's body, heatsinking isn't possible without modding or redisigning the arrangement. Instead, the choice was made to overcome the need for a heatsink by controlling the termperature.

Poor heatsink? That's what you would get with the other PR drop-ins. Mag's drop-in doesn't require it.

Last edited:

mosport

Enlightened
Thank you for clarifying Empath, I should've phrased my comment as "there's also a thread on the design affecting light output".

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Le Baron is a great store to shop at in person. Their Markham location is close to me. Wonderful variety of products on display.
The drawback with Le Baron is that if you require mail order delivery you must order a minimum of $35CDN worth of goods and if it's a foreign order you must order a minimum of $100CDN worth of goods and they then require you to fax them a photocopy both the front and back of your signed credit card.
Foreign orders also get tagged for an extra $6CDN "handling fee". For foreign orders you also have to allow six weeks for delivery.

warpdrive

Enlightened
No TAX Sale the next three days at LeBaron

Just a reminder that stuff at LeBaron is tax free the next three days for Father's Day. Final sales, no refunds (I think they will exchange though)

OUTDOOR PRODUCTS LTD
FATHER'S DAY"
TAX FREE DAYS"!*
THURSDAY JUNE 15th - 9:30 am to 9 pm
FRIDAY JUNE 16th - 9:30 am to 9 pm
SATURDAY JUNE 17th - 9 am to 5 pm
FISHING - CAMPING - OPTICS - CLOTHINGIN-STORE ONLY!
MARKHAM 8365 Woodbine Ave.(south of hwy 7)(905) 944-0682
MISSISSAUGA 1590 Dundas St. E.(east of Dixie)(905) 273-6434
OTTAWA No. 1 Stafford Road(Bell's Corners)(613) 596-4415
MONTREAL 8601 St-Laurent Blvd(south of the Metropolitain)(514) 381-4231

(Excluding items already on sale or on special) - ALL SALES FINAL.
(No rainchecks, no layaways. No other discount apply)
*LE BARON WILL PAY THE GST & PST

http://www.lebaron.ca/english/events_father.htm

I picked up a new MagLite LED 2D and some pocket knives.

Here is their new catalog page for prices of MagLED

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles/web_feat/maglite_led.pdf

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Empath: "...Since the Mag's lamp socket is thermally isolated from the light's body, heatsinking isn't possible without modding or redisigning the arrangement. Instead, the choice was made to overcome the need for a heatsink by controlling the termperature...."

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I certainly will not buy one knowing this.

piper

Newly Enlightened
mosport said:

Thanks, I've already read all of the posts on this module.

I bought one and am VERY satisfied with it.

The 2D module saved my Maglite from obscurity and I don't think you can get a better drop-in for the price.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
That Lebaron's no-tax sales looks awesome. How am I going to justify picking up ANOTHER light afte I just got my B42XRGT this week? :awman: :banghead: .

Has anyone seen these lights at other Canadian stores yet? I'll check out some places on the weekend and keep you guys posted if I do see any.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
piper said:
Thanks, I've already read all of the posts on this module.

I bought one and am VERY satisfied with it.

The 2D module saved my Maglite from obscurity and I don't think you can get a better drop-in for the price.

Ditto.
If over 15 hours on the batteries can still produce light on the side of a neighbor's house from 2 yards away, I'll take that "affected light output" anytime. Sure, it may not be a portable sun in 2d form factor, but it serves my purposes quite well.

I just wish Mag would jump into the EDC (as in 1 AA) arena.

flash

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't resist. You guys did make me stop by Le Baron for the first time, (a nice 5 minute drive) and I picked up a grey 2D MagLed. I must say that it is pretty nice.

It was my first time there, but needless to say, I'll be stopping by more often.