Fenix L2p/L1p versus INOVA T1/T2

pilou

Enlightened
The Fenix's seem to have two great selling points: 1) they can perform well with simple alkaline batteries, 2) their beam pattern looks very versatile: bright center spot combined with useful wide spill. But they seem to have some quality control issues (switches, o-rings, etc.) The Inova T1/T2 seem to be of better build quality and costs only slightly more. But I am sure some of you still prefer the Fenix's. Why?

Is it the ability to run on alkalines? The beam pattern? The cost? The looks?

I am just curious as I am considering buying an L2p but wondering whether a T2 might be a better value for the long term. Sure, the batteries are more expensive, but it seems like you can nowadays get lithium batteries for $1-1.50 each.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA's for me. I have those already, and NiMH. A bonus is if there was a real emergecny, alkalines would work. And I hate throwing away batteries.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I like the Inovas, their build quality, their beam patterns and their runtimes better generally, although I cannot speak for the T1 or T2 as I have the X series lights and have not researched their run times. I have never really been impressed with the Fenix runtimes (which is just me personally), but I do understand that the new variable lights have better run times.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Isaac Hayes. For me, the battery issue is almost overwhelming. Once a small 1AA light got into the same league as the 1xCR123 lights, it became real hard to find a small CR123 light whose output/cost, runtime/cost, or quality/cost (given that Fenix quality is for me more than "good enough") could overcome the advantages of using AA's over CR123s.

AA nimhs rechargeables are easier to handle than RCR123's. AA lithiums run as flat as CR123s. AA alkies have no CR123 equivalent.

And Fenix and it's higher end AA competitors are not shy on quality: HAIII and AR glass are available only in higher end CR123 lights which cost more than Feni. An end-to-end 20 MM diameter body (less with the Civictor) is not available on any CR123 light that I know of EXCEPT the CR123 modded Fenix.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price I'd say the Fenix is the better bang for the buck.

I am a little biased since I Have a L2P on RCR123a body. It's super bright and still able to last nearly 3 hours.

aceo07

Enlightened
I have an Inova XO (old version), which is similar to the T2 (which I've bought and given as a gift). I've had a few L1p which I gave away as gifts.

It's hard to compare the 2 since one is newer than the other, so hopefully the newer one would be more efficient.

If I had to depend on one, I'd go for the T2. The X/T series has a SOLID body and I've never had a problem with it. I don't know how I could accidentally damage it in any way that would prevent it from working. The L1p didn't feel that solid and the clicky switch seemed like it was covered by a thin plastic. I've had issues with the Fenix L1p switch where it caused flickering or not turn on.

The T2 has 6 hours of very regulated output before going dimmer for a few more hours.

If I was in a situation where I wasn't in a foreign place (hiking/camping/outdoors/unsafe area), then I wouldn't mind going for the Fenix since it is cheaper and uses rechargables.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
...If I had to depend on one, I'd go for the T2..
If I had to depend on a light, it would be a twisty. In the Fenix universe, that would be the Civictor which I think approaches the old CMG Infinities for inherently reliable deisgn.

At $28. or so shipped with 4sevens current sale, I don't understand why Civics aren't FLYING off his shelves....:shrug:

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
If I had to depend on a light, it would be a twisty. In the Fenix universe, that would be the Civictor which I think approaches the old CMG Infinities for inherently reliable deisgn.

At $28. or so shipped with 4sevens current sale, I don't understand why Civics aren't FLYING off his shelves....:shrug:

The Inova XO is a twisty, but it's one of the lights that are being compared.