Craftsman 1xaaa

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Anybody ever use this light? I picked one up at lunch today.

It looks pretty cool. It has a polished aluminum body and a black rubber tail clickie. It's just a touch longer than a Dorcy 1xaaa, and has a key ring attached to the side. On the negative side is that it comes with a bi-pin incan bulb just like a Solitaire.

Well, this one doesn't anymore. I had an unused Garrity 1xaaa sitting around, so I pulled out the LED module from it and set about figuring how to put it in the Craftsman. I had to basically destroy the bulb mechanism taking it out, but no great loss there. I also had to shorten the spring on the clickie and the Garrity LED board, but it mostly works fine now(working on a little contact issue since the LED is on a "twisty" type of board).

If I can find my camera phone, I will post a pic.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I've seen a couple of these about-I think they've been around for a while (judging by the dust on one I had a look at recently). I've never even considered getting one because the bulb is so weak! But seems like modding is the way to go. Nice job!

Be lucky...

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
With the stock bulb, it's about the same as a stock Solitaire. With the LED it's about the same as a Dorcy 1xaaa. The main thing I wanted it for was the real clickie.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I took out the AAA and made a spring from a paper clip(can you say bored at work:whistle: ), added a MN21/23 12v battery and presto, probably 1.5 times as bright as before. I will update about reliability as time goes on.

Edit: Ok, that was a bust. It worked well for about a minute, then dimmed to pre-mod levels. Tried the AAA again and it returned to the good brightness.

Oh well, you can't win if you don't play.

Last edited: