• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Modding Surefire bodies for 18650's?

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi everyone

I really enjoy these forums- thanks to all contributors!

Does anyone know what Surefire bodies can be modded to take 18650 cells?
I love the convenience and energy density of that format and want to marry it to a strong Surefire body and tailswitch.

I have a U2 whose tailswitch has always been perfect and love its heft and solidity- a WYOS and removing the batt sleeve has made it ab fab.

So I am looking for other targets...
Thanks for any help

Last edited:

ptirmal

Enlightened
the U2 is the only one that is that easy... the p and c series can be bored out as well as the millenium series... not sure about the rest...

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older U2s let 18650 cells fit perfectly in them. The newer U2s have a plastic sleeve that must be removed to allow the 18650 to fit.

The M series can be bored out to accept 18650s. One particular combination that has been popular is a M3T + cell extender or M4 which can run a MN21 with 2x18650. A fellow Aussie flashaholic has done it here .

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bored-out M4 with the M6 HOLA and two 18650s. It's a freaking GREAT light. Today I ran it with my ammeter (it pulls 5.1 amps when cold and settles to about 4.993 amps within a minute) and during the test it actually melted the padded mat I keep on my workbench while working on lights!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
scott.cr

Sounds like a lot of fun- that's a lot of power!
I'm after U2 sized Surefires that I can stick Aleph stuff on- any ideas what is bore-able in that range.

Also scott how did you bore yours out? I'd love to know.
Thanks a lot.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also scott how did you bore yours out? I'd love to know.

I have a lathe at home and bored my M4 on it. My longest boring bar is only three inches, so I had to bore half of the light, turn it over and bore again. But it's not difficult to get a seamless match when boring this way (the final pass has to be a very light cut for better results).

The diameter difference between a CR123 and an 18650 is only 1 mm (nom) so almost every light that runs on CR123s could be bored for an 18650. They are about 2.5 mm different in length, and the 18650 has a flat top, and either of these could cause problems. But with SF Turbohead type lamp assemblies it's not a problem.

EDIT: To change length of 18650. I originally incorrectly said they are 5 mm shorter than CR123. It is actually 2.5 mm.

Last edited: