Quick question - For a LS, how many mA is run with 3C?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite a jump in mA levels! I guess I'd best unhook my 3 cell LS that I have (2 of them, on in white, the other in cyan) until I can get some resistors. I've only run the two of them for very short bursts. Maybe 10 seconds. However, on the white one, I have a good heat sink with a small electric fan. I'm sure it has been thought of on here before, but I took a heat sink w/fan from a PC processor and mated the LS with it. Obviously, one can't put that setup in a small flashlight because the fan needs it's own power supply. But I would think it would do a good job of keep the white LS cool, even running 3D size batteries.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this in a differnent thread, but the subject of that thread was for the 5W LS.

For the 1W LS, normal mA is to be 350 mA.

With 2 cells, it doesn't reach that 350 mA mark by themselves. Anyone know what the mA would be for 2 cells?

Similarly, 3 cells (such as 3C batteries) is apparently too much, and more than the 350 mA. Anyone know what mA is running with 3 cells?

Rough estimates.

Thanks!

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
You're looking at ~750ma, but it will vary significantly from sample to sample. The one LS I've used in a direct drive 3C light draws 750ma on fresh batts, but it may go higher when LED gets warm, dunno, haven't checked. But no ill effects so far, been using it for months.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion,

The LED current vary dramatically between individual LEDs.

The one on my bench with 3V applied to it draws 74mA.

I'm not going to apply 4.5V to it. I know that this one on my bench around 3.7-3.8V draws about 1A of current. My bench supply can fry this if I let goto 4.5V. A rough estimate barring the batteries don't limit the current would be to add approximately 100mA / 100mV. From 3.8V to 4.5 is another 700mV or another 700mA of current.

I hope this helps.

WayneY

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 that draw from 950-1050mah on brand new duracell C's. They drew a little bit higher current levels from 4 AA nimh's.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My direct drive LS is only drawing 550mA from 3 new duracell C's, but this seems to be much less than most draw. There is just slight warming of the head after extended running. I just tried it with a fourth cell for just a second to see what it would do and got 1200mA.