Anyone know how to open up the Fenix P1 head?

JML

Enlightened
I got mine, and am pleased with output, pattern, tint, and finish (no problems from that foam battery ring, either). But for one thing: one long piece of lint under the lens. Anyone know how to open up the head so I can clean out the reflector and lens with some canned air? It looks as if there are two slots in the brains of the light that are there for inserting a pin tool to rotate the board out, but mine won't move. I tried a miniature pliers, and don't want to force anything and ruin the light...

Roboholic

Enlightened
I have a lp1 and I was able to remove the LE with a pair of tweezers. I figured that the tweezers would break before the light. I was correct. It sould probably work for the P1. I'll look when I get home tonight.
Robo

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened
That link was for the L1P, not the P1. Has anyone opened up their P1 head yet?

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Here we go ;)

1. If you open the P1 head, the Fenix guaranty is gone.
2. Thanks to CPF member Lunarmodule :bow:
He send me the picture below and gave me some tips..

3. It´s not an easy mod. If you don´t have swap the Luxeon in a L1P/L2P... you better be asking for help ;)
4. Let´s roll :rock:

a) Buy a Fenix P1 Natural Finish, the natural one is from the first batch and have less glue inside the head.

b) Take a heat gun/butane torch/hairy dryer/..... and heat it up for 20 seconds.

c) Use a needle-nosed pliers or a tweezers and unscrew the pill.

If you can´t turn the pill after several heat gun attacks, take your Dremel (or any other mini drill maschine) and drill two small holes at this places:

DON`T DRILL TOO DEEP!

Otherwise you will kill the driver board:rant:

Pull the pliers now into the holes and unscrew the pill.

d) To change the Lux (nice UXOJ maybe ;) ) or the driver (but the stock driver is already a real winner), take a look at the Tutorial : Fenix L1P/L2P modification by Erasmus.

Good luck!
Flo

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnetic said:
That link was for the L1P, not the P1. Has anyone opened up their P1 head yet?
Sorry wrong link. Still, I was talking about the P1 as that's how I opened mine. Didn't need to drill holes anywhere.

Magnetic

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
Sorry wrong link. Still, I was talking about the P1 as that's how I opened mine. Didn't need to drill holes anywhere.

Thanks, Jay! :)

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
It´s always luck ;)

Jay R´s P1 was an eays-to-open one.

If someone own´s a P1 which is a horse a** to open, the drill tip is very helpful.

Best regards,
Flo

Whats interesting about that photo, it is in fact a P1 head, and the driver PCB seems very similar to the L2P's. The primary way to differentiate between L1 and L2 boards was that long crooked trace that follows the center battery (+) contact pad. L2s had it, L1s didnt. I'm thrilled with an SX0H Lux I in mine. Radio Shack butane cordless soldering iron to the rescue again, took some serious heat to loosen the threadlocker. Drilling the holes may not be necessary if you are really lucky and have almost no threadlocker, but they help a lot getting good leverage for removing the LE. I use snap ring pliers (automotive supply store or hardware store) with great results. Drilling the holes allows one to place the tips of the pliers deep into the body of the LE, requiring MUCH less effort to turn, and consequently virtually no risk of damage AFTER the holes are CAREFULLY extended. The reflector is threaded into the head as well, and has 2 divot holes on either side of the opening to again employ your nifty snap ring pliers. Needle nose work in a pinch, BUT snap ring pliers can be set to provide constant inward (reversible) or outward lateral force on the tips. Constant out makes the whole thing a breeze,the pliers maintain their grip on the 2 turning holes by virtue of their own spring, so all you have to exert is a small amount of force in twisting, NOTsimultaneously forcing the jaws of a needle nose to stay open and twist, which usually meters too much torque to the poor LE.

Aaaah all in the quest for a few more little lumens. We really must be nuts! Modding lights can be challenging and fun, but I cant help but think sometimes these projects are like rejects from a Home Improvement episode. Somewhere with the garage door opener electric motor modded to fit the electric can opener in the kitchen. Come to think of it... I wonder if Tim Allen has EVER heard of CPF or perhaps has even lurked for awhile.

nexro

Enlightened
I just tried with my P1 NAT and P1 black, both of which opens easily, just a slight force needed. No heating was required at all :)

Thanks for the info floscherl.

Last edited:
S

sjsfiji

Hi All,

I don't think removing the board along with the LED is required to clean the lens. I just opened the head by twisting the cap/lens combo off. After that, the lens popped out, cleaned it and reinstalled. I cleaned the reflector as well... OOOOh, it's very clear now. Hope this helps...

late,

sjsfiji

kirkg

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have pics of the component side of the driver board on the P1?

Thanks.