New Review-Phantom Hawk-*Many Photos*

RadarGreg

Enlightened
As this is my first posted review of a flashight, please go easy on me. I'm currently deployed to Iraq, so I don't have light meters, spectrum analyzers, etc. on hand to do a technical review. I will answer any posted questions to the best of my ability though. With that being said, here goes my review of the Phantom Products Inc. Phantom Hawk Flashlight.

I received this light in the mail about a week ago and have put it to immediate use. The model I received is the Phantom Hawk, model PH2. It has a single white and a single IR LED mounted in a recessed housing. The light runs off of two AAA cell batteries, and is rated between 250 hours(low intensity) to 12 hours(high intensity).
b70821d8.jpg

The Hawk comes complete with a nylon neck lanyard(not shown) and a belt/helmet clip. The belt slot is 1 1/8 inch wide and the helmet slot is exactly wide enough for the military Kevlar helmet band.
9d3d6c95.jpg

On the back end of the Hawk, there is a metal clip you could use to clip the Hawk to your backpack, lanyard, etc.
DSC00593.jpg

The overall length and weight is more than the standard squeeze lights, i.e. Inova, which I feel is the targeted market the company is looking to work into. I feel this is offset by the use of AAA batteries which are easily purchased and replaced. With many of the squeeze lights, Soldiers will abandon them when the batteries run out. The PX/BX/MCX rarely has the exact size coin cell betteries you need.
DSC00595.jpg

I have my Phantom Hawk mounted on my Kevlar helmet using the supplied universal swivel mount. It stays securely in place and is easily adjusted to focus the light where needed. On a recent nighttime helicopter flight, the Hawk was perfect for lighting up the passenger manifest and immediate area until the helicopters arrived.
DSC00584.jpg

With the swivel mount, you can adjust the light as close in front of you or as far away as you need. Since both LEDs are recessed about a 1/4 inch, there is no sidespill to worry about.
DSC00585.jpg

I've taken some "beam shots" on the three intensity levels, and with the IR LED on. This is low intensity white:
DSC00587.jpg

Medium intensity white:
DSC00588.jpg

High intensity white:
DSC00589.jpg

And with the IR LED on: Note, the LED is barely visible to the naked eye. I think this is the 840nm IR, but may be wrong. Corrections are welcome.
DSC00590.jpg

Both bulbs are rated to 50,000 hours and the entire unit is waterproof to 50 feet. I didn't want to wait around for 50k hours to see if the bulbs would fail, nor did I want to take a dive in the Tigris River to verify the watertight integrity. I will be more than happy to drop it in a bottle of water, or wear it to the showers, if requested.:grin2:

A neat feature of the Phantom Hawk is it will automatically switch to a lower intensity setting when the batteries start to run down. The LED will briefly flicker, then drop to the next lower intensity level. When you notice your light start to flicker and dim, it is time to dig around in your rucksack for the spare batteries you brought.

There are several different models of the Phantom Hawk planned, to include a white/IR, white/blue, white/green, white/red, white/amber and a doubleintensity white versions. A wider belt clip is also in the works to accomodate the rigger's belts and an adapter to clip the Hawk securely to the improved body armor webbing.

For you in the military, the Hawk is already in the supply system under the NSN 6230-01-533-2898. Everyone else can order theirs at the website, www.phantomlights.com. The price is $28, which I consider quite reasonable.

The Hawk doesn't have the same features as the new Surefire helmet light, but if you don't need a blinky IR strobe, you can save yourself about a hundred bucks and go with the Phantom Hawk. I don't have a set of night vision goggles issued to me, so I kind of dig wearing the universal clip and Hawk on my helmet.

I hope you find this review helpful. If the pictures are too small(I didn't want to overload any dial-up guys, or SpecOps on a Inmarsat), let me know and I can post larger ones. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and please post comments, criticisms, or accolades.

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
Thank you Greg for both a very nice review and your service to our country.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
C4LED said:
Looks very interesting and useful for its intended purpose(s). How rugged is the construction?

It is constructed of plastic, but looks like it will hold up reasonably well. I have a couple of their larger Phantom Warrior lights, and they've both been through deployments to Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not using the lights to thump bad guys in the head or pound nails, but they have survived the occasional bump, drop and fumble. The build quality is good with a simple mechanical design. Nothing too complicated to go wrong. The operation of the switch is also simple to use and doesn't require a Masters Degree is flashlight engineering to operate through the different levels of light intensity.

It is definitely going to remain a part of my EDC while deployed, and if I break it, I'll buy another. I think that's about the best compliment we can give to a flashlight.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Looks like this might be a nice alternative to the Pal light when they come out with the other colors. IR is not real useful to us civilians. :grin2:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Chiphead, I got it directly from Phantomlights.com. It was sent to me by the owner of the company.

rscanady, you are probably right. I meant the 800 something nm. I know the two popular ranges for IR are in the 900's and are usually not visible to the naked eye, and the 800's, which can be seen as a very dim red light. The Phantom Hawk is barely visible. If someone knows the correct range for the visible IR, I'll change it in the original post. I don't have any light meters here in Iraq, so please forgive the crudeness and lack of more technical information.

Grubbster, I agree with you on that. I don't really have a need for the IR lighting since I'm not issued a pair of NVGs. I think the white/green would be the best combination for my uses, but it isn't available yet.

Last edited: