• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Hard anodizing v. ?

Leef

Enlightened
[Apologies if this isn't the right forum.]

I'd like to know how we who buy custom flashlights feel about hard anodizing (HA-III) v. the decorative anodizing that M*g uses on its bodies. As you know, the HA is much harder and resistant to dings and scratches. So do most people care? Would they be willing to pay ~$20 more for the HA finish?

I don't believe that you can get very many different colors in HA, maybe just black, grey, or clear.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
there's also red blue green and purple, checkout the CPF special, Al's purple A2, and the special blue, green, and red TNC Keylux bodies :) on top of nat and black (i think grey would be the same as nat)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
D@rk Messenger said:
there's also red blue green and purple, checkout the CPF special, Al's purple A2, and the special blue, green, and red TNC Keylux bodies :) on top of nat and black (i think grey would be the same as nat)
Those colors are not Hard Anodizing (HA), they are type 2 anodizing.
HA only comes in black or natural, natural will range from OD green to grey.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had type 2 and HA3 on several EDC's and the HA3 is way tougher than the Type 2, after a year riding in separate pockets, the type 2 showed lots of shinny spots from rubbing to the clothes (Jeans) While the HA3 looked just as the day I opened the box.

To me HA3 is worth the money.

AlexGT

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, there's HAIII and there's HAIII. The stuff on the M16 receiver (which lets it go 50K+ cycles rubbing against a steel bolt carrier) is a very different animal from what's on a Fenix or even a Surefire. For me, if it's just cosmetic and doesn't perform some mechanical function, it's of modest value at best.

If you like shiny, electroless nickel is a nice finish for aluminum. I think the high phosphorus type is better. A long time ago, it used to be cheap to have things electroless nickeled: you just went to your local plater and asked him to toss your stuff in with his next big batch for a minimal charge. There are no jigs required so it cost the plater next to nothing to do.

A typical thickness would be .003" to .005" which provides good wear resistance. Don't know if that's still available now but someone might look into it.

Last edited:

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Morelite said:
Those colors are not Hard Anodizing (HA), they are type 2 anodizing.
HA only comes in black or natural, natural will range from OD green to grey.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Peak CPF special was HA, the CR2 ion definately was ha, and it came in green red and blue hard coat. Craig has a review of the CPF special on the LED museum, apparently it is HA... maybe i should back up my ansers the first time:ohgeez:...not too sure about that A2

sizzlechest

Enlightened
A couple ideas, both of which cost extra $, but are unique and durable:

Splash anodizing is something that you should check out:

Trivergata will do custom work, check here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115449

Also, clear powder coating:
ddc0a2ed.jpg

Localguy808 does really nice top coating, check here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116573

sizzlechest

Enlightened
sizzlechest said:
A couple ideas, both of which cost extra $, but are unique and durable:

Splash anodizing is something that you should check out:

Trivergata will do custom work, check here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115449

Also, clear powder coating:
ddc0a2ed.jpg

Localguy808 does really nice top coating, check here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116573

I consider both of these options worth the $ because of the unique look they provide and will gladly pay the extra cash!

greenLED

Flashaholic
nerdgineer said:
Also, there's HAIII and there's HAIII.
...actually, there is no such thing as "HAIII"; it's either called "Type III anodizing" or "hard anodizing" (HA). HAIII is like saying HIV virus (Human Immunodeficiency Virus virus...). :nana:

Anwhoo, the stuff on Maglites is Type II anodizing.

trivergata

Enlightened
I've had many of my lights stripped of type 2 and replaced with HA - I LOVE it - looks more utilitarian and the duribility is without question better. I took a file to an ARC AAA to cut tritium slots and ruined the file on the HA my guy does - an old crappy file, but a file none the less. If it's getting use, it gets HA in my book, price be damned. My wife likes red, so she has several done in red type 2, which works for her, because she dosen't have to hold one tightly between her teeth while jumping out of a chopper for a low altitude deployment rescue operation (neither do I, but I'm ready if ever called upon while sitting in my office playing desk jockey..............
smile.gif
)

sizzlechest - thanks for the kind words

Josh