Hey all, New and have a question

lpv77

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a nighttime 3-d archery shoot in a few weeks. I need to outfit my bow with a light that is powerful enough to illuminate to about 40 yards or so. It needs to have a rear cap switch or a switch of sorts that I can solder a pressure pad switch to. I want to spend under 100 dollars too.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Vinny

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

I think CPF member juancho :thinking: has one mounted on his. Try checking out the TACM III Tactical Flashlight.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
Wow, this post brings back some "cave days" memories.

I formerly used a (couch, cough)minimaglite on my bow in lieu of a "stabilizer". Certainly not a 40 yard light, but it was comforting on long walks back to camp after dark knowing I had enough light for shooting. Today there are minimaglite modifications for 1 watt(or higher) LED's, perhaps if the brightest of those were selected the "stabilizer" mounted minimag would throw well enough.

A Streamlight TLR-1 LED would be awesome, only about 4 ounces, and gives about 1.5 to 2 hours of BRIGHT regulated light output which would work well past 25 yards for sure, maybe 40 yards would be a stretch. BUT you would need a short section of rail to attach it to. I'll try digging my Bear Compound bow from the closet and see how feasible it would be. I'm thinking that possibly the support hand(left) thumb could be used for controlling the light, and a pressure switch would also work well but I dislike wiring that can catch on things.

Paladin

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes have good lights and cheap pressure-switches. Any one of the 9V lights with larger heads would do the job nicely. They can also use rechargeables. Pacific Tactical solutions sell these at discounted prices for CPF members. Check out the dealers corner for information.

Mmmm... I haven't put a light on my bow yet, maybe I do need another light;)

PS! Welcome to CPF.

lpv77

Newly Enlightened
what do you guys think about the surefire g2 nitrolon? it 65/120 lumens with the upgrade

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
lpv77 said:
what do you guys think about the surefire g2 nitrolon? it 65/120 lumens with the upgrade

I think that is an excellent choice. Plenty of coverage out to 40m and fairly light weight. There are several tape switches sold on eBay that will replace the stock tailcap.

You could put the whole package with the G2, P61 LA, pressure switch and mount for under $100.

Mark

mdocod

Flashaholic
G&P/digilightUSA/Wolf-eyes/Pila/Surefire... all have a great assortment of lights that could be used for that.... I think you should have a look at the various offerings... the G&P products are most commonly found on ebay and airsoft resellers... a 3 or 4 cell light- while being a bit longer- could provide you with ~an hour of runtime at well over 100 lumens... when you try to accomplish that with a 2 cell light- the runtime drops significantly...(G2 runs for 20 minuts with the 120 lumen P61)

juancho

Enlightened
As CHC had pointed out, (Thanks CHC, good memory!) I installed one in my friend's bow on top of a Cobra stabilizer, with a Weaver base (that has the proper rounded contour, sorry I forget what the number for the base is).

bowlight.jpg

I drilled and tapped two holes for the included mount screws.

I used a Surefire 6P on a Weaver ring, and later installed a G&P remote pressure pad switch.

gp_tapeswitch.jpg

A Tac Star remote pad switch will also work.

It is working very well. but is recommended that you shorten your range and use a red Surefire filter, red light will not spook the deer.

My friend uses it as far as 30 yards, a longer flashlight like the Surefire 9P with the 200 lumens lamp can be used if you want more light.

regards
Juan C.

juancho

Enlightened
One more thing, yes the TACM III comes with an incorporated pressure pad switch, these lights have a bigger diameter reflector (and smooth) and will throw farther than the Surefires, they use 2 cells and are smaller than the 6 P.

But you will have to home-rig a red filter (maybe with a scope cover and some electrician tape, like I did)

Here is how I mount them in my long guns. (the .22 is mouunted on a long Weaver base for the Remington 7400 on Velcro tape)

gunlights.jpg

Juan C.

lpv77

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from my local police supply store. HE had stream light and the tac 111 light. I didnt like the tac The first one out of the package was defective it was bright though. I ended up getting the stinger with the xenon bulb. Its 115 lumens and seemed to be the brightest out of the ones I looked at.

Thanks for all the input!