SF L1 head on other bodies with 3.7V Li-On OK?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere before but is it OK to run an Surefire L1 head (new version, no electronics/converter inside) on a compatible one cell body (eg. E1E body) with a 3.7V Li-On rechargeable battery?

I'm assuming it will in direct drive. Will it be overdriving the Luxeon too much & damage it with prolonged use? I got about approximately twice the output with the Li-On cell when I did a short test.

grnamin

Enlightened
I may be wrong about this, but since you already know that the LED will be driven directly, I guess it would depend on what the Vf of the LED is. It would need to have at least a Vf of K (3.51v to 3.75v). Why not save the L1 head and get a KL1 instead? Reflector anyone? :D

BBL

Enlightened
Just measure the current. Afaik 500mA is normal for the L1 head.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't know the Vf of the LED or current is as I've no means of measuring it. I tried an L2 head on my Arc Mania Maxlite body with a Li-On 14500 cell but it would not work somehow, whereas the L1 head did. :shrug:

Thanks. :eek:

grnamin

Enlightened
Doesn't the L2 have a Lux V while the L1 a Lux III? The Vf of a Lux V is usually higher than a Lux III, isn't it? The lowest Vf on a Lux V I've seen so far was on a WW0S (5.91v to 6.39v). That might explain why the L2 head wouldn't light up while the L1 did.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnamin said:
Doesn't the L2 have a Lux V while the L1 a Lux III? The Vf of a Lux V is usually higher than a Lux III, isn't it? The lowest Vf on a Lux V I've seen so far was on a WW0S (5.91v to 6.39v). That might explain why the L2 head wouldn't light up while the L1 did.

Duh. I guessed so. :stupid: Thanks.

P

please

Hi all,
I'm wondering if a L1 head will fit the L2 body?
Because the beam of L2 is wide and it's too wide under some circumstances.
I know the L2 is using Luxeon V and the L1 is using Luxeon III.
Since Inova T3 which has a Luseon III installed uses two 123a batteries, I'm thinking maybe the L1 will fit the L2 body without causing any damage.
Does anyone try this before? I'm so curious. Thanks in advance.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
please said:
Hi all,
I'm wondering if a L1 head will fit the L2 body?
Because the beam of L2 is wide and it's too wide under some circumstances.
I know the L2 is using Luxeon V and the L1 is using Luxeon III.
This has been asked a couple times (once by myself).

An L2 head on the L1 body won't work at all on low, and although it works on high, it isn't any brighter than the L1. Remember that even though the L1 has a Lux III, it's run at fairly low power compared to what it can handle.

An L1 head on an L2 body will probably fry the L1, because the L2 on high draws upwards of 1.5A. Way more than any Lux III can handle. Most likely the L1 has a H or J Vf bin LED, and the L2 is probably an S or T.

P

please

Planterz said:
This has been asked a couple times (once by myself).
Thanks! I knew is must be discussed before (since I'm such a newbie here).
But it's very difficult to search keywords like "L1" or "L2" for they're two-letter words.
Maybe we should suggest the manufacturers use three or more letters for thier product model names.
yellowlaugh.gif

Thanks again. Now I'm thinking to get a SureFire E2L.

Tacfolder

Newly Enlightened
please said:
Thanks! I knew is must be discussed before (since I'm such a newbie here).
But it's very difficult to search keywords like "L1" or "L2" for they're two-letter words.
Maybe we should suggest the manufacturers use three or more letters for thier product model names.
yellowlaugh.gif

Thanks again. Now I'm thinking to get a SureFire E2L.

Well, I'll tell you what some kind soul told me a few days ago. If you'll add an asterisk (*) it will work just fine. I tried it and it does :ohgeez:.

Just passing it on. Thanks Randy Shackleford :goodjob: .

Last edited: