Nuwai X-3: first impressions

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
My X-3 arrived two days ago from Eliteled (good service; quick delivery, by the way):

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

I immediately fell for the design. Overall build is good: feels very solid. The only thing that seems a bit thin is the lens. Good grip. Nice revolving ring for the lanyard. No battery rattle.

Switch: one of the main reasons to buy is was the combo of tactical push/twisty. Very convenient and fail proof. Feels very solid, good contact, and both just smooth enough.

Output: at first I was a little disappointed, as Flashlightreviews measured it (on rechargeables) well above a standard Tec 40. But then, I am used to a modded Tec 40 (rechargeables and KPR 103), so my expectations may have been a bit high. I seems to be as bright as my QIII on a 4 Volt rechargeable, with a different beam pattern: tighter spot and wider flood. This is on NiMh. Alkalines give noticably brighter starting brightness, but lousy runtime (see runtime graph). Colour is very, very nice and white: definitely cooler than Civictor; slightly cooler than QIII ; bit warmer than Electrolumens BL-1R.

My conclusions: Very useable, pocketable and reliable 90 minutes of beautifully white light on guilt free NiMh (and no exploding Lithiums). Instant light, no (reverse) clicky. Brightness is quite good, and the tight spot privides a fair amount of throw.

Kees

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one sounds like a winner, but how does it handle water? A unit has got to go where I go! And please explain...exploding lithiums?

chiphead..Surviving the urban enviroment.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost pulled the trigger on this one until I remembered that Mag is also coming out with a 2AA 3W light. Guess it should still be around when the Mag ships.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Got mine from eliteled as well (super fast service) . I wanted a AA or AAA operating Led for some time and tried AAA Dorcys and Coast V2 but was disappointed with poor regulation. For me AA choices were X-3 or Fenix L2T, and greater output tradeoff vice run time was the deciding factor. Have Fenix LIT and like it but like the extended throw of X-3 more. Been using it for two days now. I find in test I get 1 hour near constant (down to 80% ) and rapid drop off after 4 more minutes and just shy of 2 hours with Sanyo 2700mah NiMH. Have not yet tried it with lithium AA and wonder how much brighter it will be if any. Any one know ? Only thing I don't like is the split ring lanyard (removed it), seems to have been an afterthought by Nuwai. I find grip is firm enough not to need it and it goes in holster easier without the lanyard. Yes its not as bright (overall) as my modded Tec 40 on NiMH either (similar to DoubleDutch's) but I sure like the constancy of light vice the gradual dimming on the TEC 40 and my other filament lights. It will be interesting to see if the Magled will have regulation (I doubt it will)

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my X-3 from eliteLED today also. As always LIGHTNING fast shipping & good email communications. Well i like the light. I'm liking AA & 2AA lights more & more. The light has a very tactical looking body to it. It looks a lot nicer than the L2P & L2T. Has a surefire type look & color. Well made heavy body. Focuasable like a minimag. Brighter than the Fenix but shorter runtime. Brightest 2AA light currenty available (except maybe for some special mods). I don't care about the short runtime because i'm using ni-mh cells so i just keep throwing in freshly charged batteries! No guilt using it at all. No worry about blowing the LED with li-ion RCR123A's, like in the other lights.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to say about lithium batteries...

THEY ARE SAFE!!! just as long as you handle them properly e.g. don't drop them!

and also, you can throw them into fires! as long as you are far away from it...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am impresed with my 2AA streamlight Jr luxeon

mhubble

Enlightened
I swear the NUWAI X-3 looks just like the 3 watt - 2 aa they are selling at my Local A and N stores. They have them on sale right now - buy one at 19.95 get the second for half price. I havent bought one but the package said it had a burn time of 1.8 hours. I ended up buying a 1 watt 2 AA. 15.00 EACH. Got them for my daughters night stands. Really bright. Click tailcap. They also have 0.5 watt 2 AA.

hikinhillary

Newly Enlightened
Well, I agree. I was satisfied with my X-3 also, but still- I would much rather carry my Dorcy AAA straight up from good ol' Walmart. My Dorcy AAA is always the light I bring with me out to the pool at night- I have dropped it a couple of times and its still good as new! Dorcy is all I need in life. :whistle: