How many of you own Mag 6D flashlights?

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
How long have you owned it? Do you use it very much? If you use it, do you feed it with Alkalines or rechargeables? What kind of reaction do you get when you pull it out in front of someone? Any great or funny stories associated with it would be appreciated and fun to read!:clap:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have one here and all I've done to it is "mist" the bulb to achieve that smooth uniform beam pattern. That's all—

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had it a couple years, but haven't really used it much until I found CPF and upgraded it with a Kiu socket, WA1274 bulb, and FiveMega's 2" deep reflector. I use NiMH rechargables. Now I use it a couple times a week to check out things in the yard at night when I hear unfamiliar noises. I've spotted a few animals I didn't even know inhabvited the area. I get a serious reaction when I pull it out in front of someone, of course it's no longer even close to stock appearance anymore: MagHK

No funny stories yet, but I'm half afraid if I ever do have one, I may be writing it from jail. That's the main reason I've now swapped out the black bezel on the front for a bright red one.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep mine in my vehicle. I have had it for way over 20 years but how much over I have no idea. I consider it my club that glows on one end I have a 6 volt bulb in it and keep spares on hand since I am overdriving the bulb just a wee bit. I use alkalines in it. I don't pull it out unless I plan on using it except for turning it on occasionally to make sure it's still alive and ready for use.BTW it's only one of three or four other flashlights in my vehicle with me.

Last edited:

Rando

Enlightened
DonShock said:
I've had it a couple years, but haven't really used it much until I found CPF and upgraded it with a Kiu socket, WA1274 bulb, and FiveMega's 2" deep reflector. I use NiMH rechargables. Now I use it a couple times a week to check out things in the yard at night when I hear unfamiliar noises. I've spotted a few animals I didn't even know inhabvited the area. I get a serious reaction when I pull it out in front of someone, of course it's no longer even close to stock appearance anymore: MagHK

No funny stories yet, but I'm half afraid if I ever do have one, I may be writing it from jail. That's the main reason I've now swapped out the black bezel on the front for a bright red one.

You should wire the switch to a trigger.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I've had one for years,and it sits on the floor by my bed where I can reach it easily-with all my other lights,it really doesn't get used much anymore. Around here in the Detroit area,they were notorious for being used by the police in a very high-profile beating death years ago.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag 6D was my second "premium" flashlight. Funny how it's not even in the top 5 in length or heft in my collection now.

For beating purposes I'd rather have a 5C or 6C Mag-Lite. Better control.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Mine sits on my table stand next to the bed along with many other lights, and like the others stated here, it doesn't get much use.

Now as ABTOMAT stated "for beating purposes," if it really had to come down to that, then it'll be with a shinai (Hasegawa Carbon Shinai Dobari to be specific).

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have one, but it's been outfitted with three Luxeon LEDs; I think there's an InReTECH product in it at the moment. I do not know if they're Luxeon IIIs or Luxeon Vs. Looks like Luxeon Vs as I have removed the lens ring and optics. Could very well be an InReTECH HELIOS

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to answer another part of Cary's question, I stopped carrying mine before I had a good alternative. Just too odd looking. Carry it during the day and you look like you're looking for a fight, carry it at night and you're looking like someone's idea of a burglar, or a security guard depending on how you see it. I think 3-4D is about all you can pull off. When I got my Magcharger it sealed the deal.

But right after I got my 6D I strolled into Radio Shack with it when buying extra bulbs. I don't know if the cashiers were expecting to be robbed or what. Got some strange looks. :twak:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for around 24 years. I used to keep it in my car but had batteries corrode in it. I cleaned it out and didn't use it much for a good 8 years. After getting a Streamlight SL-20 I never carried the 6D because it is too big and heavy. After I ROPPED my 6C I was thinking my 6D would be good for that. I have everything I need other than the batteries since I have a collection of parts for my other Mags so an investment of $60-$80 in new batteries will transform the beast.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Speaking of Maglite in the 6 D-Size battery cells, wasn't there a brief shot of the flight attendant holding on to one in the Jodie Foster movie "Flight Plan"?

MicroE

Enlightened
I have two that I bought before joining CPF.
The last time that I used one was on a camping trip. I couldn't find my mallet, so we used the Mag to pound in the tent stakes!

jwl

Enlightened
I have a 6D that I bought in March and turned into a ROP using 12,000Mah D-cells. Just turned my brother's 6D into an Alky powered ROP tonight and I might get another to make a seriously long running 5W LED.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's the "Roar of the Instaflash." :D

I've often thought about cutting the barrel off a 6D Mag and threading it onto an MC upper body. Wire the stock charger up for 12V. Find a high-power 12V bipin.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
I've never felt the need to heft anything that size myself..

Agreed. I'll save the aluminum bats for baseball. :laughing: