Which DC/DC circuit to use?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi guys. I am new here and just getting started in moding flashlights. I have a couple MiniMags that have a 5mm white LED installed in them. But I have some several LSs on order that I want to install in the mini mags and maybe even try to make my own Hydra. Now which DC/DC circuit do most of you prefer to use? I was thinking about using the Zetex circuit because I can tune each circuit to the LS.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Get a Madmax from dat2zip. You'll have to get in line though, I think he's backordered right now.

coughwhatwouldittaketoget30secondfloodcontrol?cough

Frank Schwab

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out my thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000333

and my bitching and moaning at:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000511
You have to ask yourself what you're looking for - maximum brightness, or best regulation?

For example, Dat2Zip's MadMax and Lambda's Pill generate very bright lights on new batteries, but light output falls off as the batteries weaken. Dat2Zip's BadBoy is set to generate a very bright light initially also, but is said to maintain the same brightness until the batteries are very weak. The ZLT++, as published, is a great little project that generates a slightly dimmer light (though still exceptionally bright), and is said to be able to maintain the brightness better than some of the others, though certainly not as well as the BadBoy. You can modify the ZLT to generate a much brighter light (for example, it is set up to generate about 350ma of output current, but I've gotten over 500 ma out of mine).

Good luck,

/frank

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I just finished my first LS mod. What started as a beemer turned into a wide area light, as I messed up the reflector of my 2D Mag
frown.gif
. I am impatiently waiting for my copper clad board to arrive so I can etch my own layouts, I have everything else needed to build a ZLT++ but the board.

I might have time to drop a LS into one of my mini mags and try it DD, but I am just not happy with the LS optics and I have not found a source for any different optics.

frank - I chose the ZLT circuit because I can easily modify the light output and run times.