Anyone know THIS laser? LOTS of pics

Drewski

Newly Enlightened
Greetings everyone... OK - so I move on to modding my second laser - and I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this, but it came, I took it apart and look at what I found inside... the circuitboard is a monkey's breakfast. There is some kind of black paint, some glue - and a swell piece of black plastic superglued to the back of the PCB making it a little more challangin to even get to it.

Now... seeing as I have no idea IF this is a "pot modable" (I am assuming that it is since it DOES have a pot) laser or not I am posting here first before I slaughter it... anyone know what this is? I see a resistor marked "102", and one on the opposite side of the pot that is covered in black paint (gee, thanks Mr. China Dude) - so it begs the question - is this layout a copy of the 105/110?? I dare not pull the 102 off until at least someone throws me a bone here.

Any input is MUCH appreciated. In return I will take more pics of what I do and post it up here so the next person that buys one of these has a half-a-chance at modding it successfully (assuming I can mod it successfully)

Thanks,
Drew

pcbrear.jpg

pcbclose.jpg

pcb1.jpg

pcb.jpg

laserbarrel.jpg

laserandcase.jpg

laser.jpg

barrelandcap.jpg

backview.jpg

dr_lava

Enlightened
wow, looks like a lot of work was put into it, usually you don't see that much paste around the diode, the pot has been set with a black substance, some of the components look hand soldered, and the diode direction has been set with glue.
The laser obviously has optical feedback, but the brass tube doesn't look like a typical leadlight 110.

What did the seller rate the output as, and is it an ebay laser?

Ken83

Newly Enlightened
Alright. I just bought one of this. How do i open it up like yours?

Ken83

Newly Enlightened
I think mine has great potential for modding! The current drawn is only 140ma. It was described as 250ma. Needs help to open this thing man.

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
If you can open the cavity, see if you can adjust the alignment of the OC mirror, that is a part of modding most people never mess with but will help output. It looks as if the diode is decent from what I can see. I don't bother with pointers unless they are old because they can be modded easier to produce a very high output. The older Polaroid diodes will put out 120mW but will run in the pointer at 80mW with out problems except burning batteries..

Drewski

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I ended up doing the "102 resistor swap" and I tuned the pot. It works well - except the laser is BRIGHT AS HELL for about 3 seconds, then gets dimmer. The dimmer is still brighter than it was when it came from the factory.

I also ended up changing out a resistor on the back of the board for the same value but a larger size b/c it was getting HOT. It did little to stop the dimming.

Overall I am satisfied. It modded better than the NewWish I did a month back. I may try that mirror thing. There is so much to learn and do here! I love it.
Thanks,
Drew

Ken83

Newly Enlightened
I have not modded mine yet. It also dims after few seconds. But i overcome that by pressing and releasing button couple times and its bright all the way.

Latest posts