Are some lights just too small?

pilou

Enlightened
Small lights with cylindrical bodies are neat in a way, but some of them seem to be half the size of my pinkie. Being that tiny, I wonder if they are practical. I have never held anything the size of the tiniest ones in the market to know.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting point. I have the Orb Raw NS, and sure do like it for its sheer smallish form factor. But as some others pointed out, these seem to be more for a show and tell because they really put out a bright light for its size. More like for "novelty" than for practicality. I bought it and sure like it! I EDC this in my coin pocket. Of course Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights like the Arc AAA and Photon seem to work better while they are still attached to your keychain. Which is of course where they belong.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
There exists a wide spectrum of lights available for purchase. Smaller and brighter seems to be the trend - who wants bigger and dimmer - and I've never considered any light to be too small. The small ones you stick on a keychain or in the little extra front pocket on a pair of jeans.

cheers

Sturluson

Enlightened
I think it's a very individual thing.

I've spent this week using my new Exolion, and think it's incredible. It's about as small as a light can be, but I find it quite practical one-handed. Hold the base between your second finger and your palm and rotate the head with your first finger and thumb. It seems natural. It's even quite easy to go through the three stages with one hand. And my hands are fairly large - I don't know whether that makes one-hand operation easier or harder, but I would think harder.

The bonus is that this light is very tough and takes up very little room in your pocket. It's seems great for EDC; I can't think of another I like as well in this function except the Arc AAA.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I think it boils down to each individual and their constitution. Like our lights we all come in different shapes and sizes and what may seem too small for comfort to some of us may be the perfect light for someone else. This really comes into perspective if you're able to compare yourself directly with someone else. For example, my gf's hands are tiny compared to mine and so I can clearly see how holding an Orb wouldn't be as problematic for her as it was for me.

I can relate with you on this as I've found some decent lights to be too small for my practical use, and this once even translated into my returning an Orb for the aforementioned reason.

Even if you are a bigger person, who feels better with larger lights you can always find use for the smaller torches via a keychain if that's what you're after.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are carrying a light that you really don't expect to use, it almost can't be too small. The smaller it is, the more likely you are to carry it.

If you expect to be using the light a fair amount, then ergonomics and runtime come into play, and here a really small light can be much less desireable.

Just depends on your needs.

MSI

Enlightened
For lights I'm going to use a lot, I like to use 2xCR123 sized lights since that size is the most comfortable for my hand. However, I'm going on a hut-to-hut hiking trip in July and will then bring an Exolion with me since that will save me a lot of weight and because I doesn't expect to need a light much.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't like it too small... i will just put it on the table and totally forget about it...

something like the 2aaa maglite's length and the C cell diameter will be okay with me...

not something like a mag soli!(unless it has the mjled module inside...)

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a ARC/PEAK AAA sized light with me at all times in a neck sheath made by trivergate, other than occasionally hearing it I don't feel it and with the runtime of this particular light (5 - 7 hours on low) it's a no brainer to have around.

I've also got a TnC N cell proto and it's even smaller.....love it

Doug

Martin__UK

Newly Enlightened
NO.......

I gave my team at work some MXDL 3W's for Christmas last year, I also gave them some White keychain lights from Dae (Quality China Goods)

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ul....html?osCsid=bef9f0bf867934189a4ea6aaf19b4be4

Guess which ones get the most use ?

The keychains, we carry them alongside our security passes and they are great for looking in equipment bays or getting out of rooms if the lights go out.

I was pleased that I had clipped one to my trouser belt loop when I was working in India, cos it sure is dark there when the power goes off.

Buy a batch of them form Dae and hand them out to workmates, It may just save someone someday.

Martin

lightrod

Enlightened
My Raw Ns is my smallest and most prized light.

0.7 cubic inches - lumens per cubic inch about 70. I don't think anyone can touch that. 2-stage is still operable by one hand.

Last edited:

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I dont think lights are too small. With all the gadgets today, cell phones, digital cameras etc. pocket space is at a premium. The smaller something is the more likely you are to carry it with you. The more you carry something the more you will use it and more importantly have it when you NEED it. The only problem with small flashlights are that you have comprimises. Mostly on brightness and runtime but there getting better. If I could get the comparable performance(brightness, runtime, features) in a smaller package I would got for it everytime.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights can't be too small, too bright, too cheap, or run too long. I'd take all four any day of the week.

If they made a light the size of a postage stamp that put out a thousand lumens for 300 hours, I'd buy one and stick it to the top of my head. Then I could walk around at night with both hands free and the whole room would be lit up from the light reflected off the ceiling.

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree. No light can be too small. If you are in a situation where no light exists, then anything is better than nothing!

:naughty: :naughty:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ty_Bower said:
Lights can't be too small, too bright, too cheap, or run too long. I'd take all four any day of the week.

I'd say there are plenty of lights out there that are too cheap. Especially those aforementioned photon2 knockoffs that burn out the LED and the switch either turns itself on, or doesn't work at all.

Hans

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
If you are carrying a light that you really don't expect to use, it almost can't be too small. The smaller it is, the more likely you are to carry it.

If you expect to be using the light a fair amount, then ergonomics and runtime come into play, and here a really small light can be much less desireable.

I agree. A lot of people have complained that the HDS is a bit too big for EDC. I don't carry mine in the pocket, the Peak Matterhorn or an Arc AAA is much better for that. However, when I expect to use my light a lot, I almost always grab my HDS with a 2xCR123 body. It's the perfect length for my hands, and I feel much more comfortable with it than with the 1xCR123 body.

Hans

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only downside to small lights is that they're so damn easy to misplace.
I have a couple M.I.A. Dorcy 1xAAA's that will attribute to that fact. haha

Thank God they were cheap.