Wuben        

Thread: Are some lights just too small?

Default Are some lights just too small?

Small lights with cylindrical bodies are neat in a way, but some of them seem to be half the size of my pinkie. Being that tiny, I wonder if they are practical. I have never held anything the size of the tiniest ones in the market to know.

Default Re: Are some lights just too small?

Interesting point. I have the Orb Raw NS, and sure do like it for its sheer smallish form factor. But as some others pointed out, these seem to be more for a show and tell because they really put out a bright light for its size. More like for "novelty" than for practicality. I bought it and sure like it! I EDC this in my coin pocket. Of course Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!
    LUX'Ottica

I like My EDC lights to be around 3-5.5in. Dont want it to small but will do.
    I miss my Milkmods.

Flashaholic*

Lights like the Arc AAA and Photon seem to work better while they are still attached to your keychain. Which is of course where they belong.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

There exists a wide spectrum of lights available for purchase. Smaller and brighter seems to be the trend - who wants bigger and dimmer - and I've never considered any light to be too small. The small ones you stick on a keychain or in the little extra front pocket on a pair of jeans.

cheers

Flashaholic

I think it's a very individual thing.

I've spent this week using my new Exolion, and think it's incredible. It's about as small as a light can be, but I find it quite practical one-handed. Hold the base between your second finger and your palm and rotate the head with your first finger and thumb. It seems natural. It's even quite easy to go through the three stages with one hand. And my hands are fairly large - I don't know whether that makes one-hand operation easier or harder, but I would think harder.

The bonus is that this light is very tough and takes up very little room in your pocket. It's seems great for EDC; I can't think of another I like as well in this function except the Arc AAA.
    "If you want peace, work for justice" - H.L. Mencken, Pope Paul VI
    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

Flashaholic

I think it boils down to each individual and their constitution. Like our lights we all come in different shapes and sizes and what may seem too small for comfort to some of us may be the perfect light for someone else. This really comes into perspective if you're able to compare yourself directly with someone else. For example, my gf's hands are tiny compared to mine and so I can clearly see how holding an Orb wouldn't be as problematic for her as it was for me.

I can relate with you on this as I've found some decent lights to be too small for my practical use, and this once even translated into my returning an Orb for the aforementioned reason.

Even if you are a bigger person, who feels better with larger lights you can always find use for the smaller torches via a keychain if that's what you're after.
    Surefire: 6P (G&P 3-Watt Drop In), E2D, E1L, U2 (FM67), A2, & 6P Defender
    Nexxtech: Super Bright 3-Watt LED aka Nuwai Q3
    Fenix: L1P
    Noma:: High Intensity Xenon (P60) aka Brinkman MaxFire LX
    Dorcy: Super 1-Watt
    HDS: B42 XRGT (Ti-Bezel) (2x123 Battery Tube) (Arc 4 Clip)

Flashaholic*

If you are carrying a light that you really don't expect to use, it almost can't be too small. The smaller it is, the more likely you are to carry it.

If you expect to be using the light a fair amount, then ergonomics and runtime come into play, and here a really small light can be much less desireable.

Just depends on your needs.

Lots of very good points here.

Flashaholic

For lights I'm going to use a lot, I like to use 2xCR123 sized lights since that size is the most comfortable for my hand. However, I'm going on a hut-to-hut hiking trip in July and will then bring an Exolion with me since that will save me a lot of weight and because I doesn't expect to need a light much.

i don't like it too small... i will just put it on the table and totally forget about it...

something like the 2aaa maglite's length and the C cell diameter will be okay with me...

not something like a mag soli!(unless it has the mjled module inside...)
    if killing was legal, i would have killed countless number of people...

I carry a ARC/PEAK AAA sized light with me at all times in a neck sheath made by trivergate, other than occasionally hearing it I don't feel it and with the runtime of this particular light (5 - 7 hours on low) it's a no brainer to have around.

I've also got a TnC N cell proto and it's even smaller.....love it

Doug
    A light on a shelf collects dust, A light in your hand collects the darkness.

NO.......

I gave my team at work some MXDL 3W's for Christmas last year, I also gave them some White keychain lights from Dae (Quality China Goods)

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ult...4ea6aaf19b4be4

Guess which ones get the most use ?

The keychains, we carry them alongside our security passes and they are great for looking in equipment bays or getting out of rooms if the lights go out.

I was pleased that I had clipped one to my trouser belt loop when I was working in India, cos it sure is dark there when the power goes off.

Buy a batch of them form Dae and hand them out to workmates, It may just save someone someday.

Martin

My Raw Ns is my smallest and most prized light.

0.7 cubic inches - lumens per cubic inch about 70. I don't think anyone can touch that. 2-stage is still operable by one hand.
    Last edited by lightrod; 06-16-2006 at 01:09 PM.

I dont think lights are too small. With all the gadgets today, cell phones, digital cameras etc. pocket space is at a premium. The smaller something is the more likely you are to carry it with you. The more you carry something the more you will use it and more importantly have it when you NEED it. The only problem with small flashlights are that you have comprimises. Mostly on brightness and runtime but there getting better. If I could get the comparable performance(brightness, runtime, features) in a smaller package I would got for it everytime.

Lights can't be too small, too bright, too cheap, or run too long. I'd take all four any day of the week.

If they made a light the size of a postage stamp that put out a thousand lumens for 300 hours, I'd buy one and stick it to the top of my head. Then I could walk around at night with both hands free and the whole room would be lit up from the light reflected off the ceiling.

I have to agree. No light can be too small. If you are in a situation where no light exists, then anything is better than nothing!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower
    Lights can't be too small, too bright, too cheap, or run too long. I'd take all four any day of the week.
    I'd say there are plenty of lights out there that are too cheap. Especially those aforementioned photon2 knockoffs that burn out the LED and the switch either turns itself on, or doesn't work at all.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by wasBlinded
    If you are carrying a light that you really don't expect to use, it almost can't be too small. The smaller it is, the more likely you are to carry it.

If you expect to be using the light a fair amount, then ergonomics and runtime come into play, and here a really small light can be much less desireable.
    I agree. A lot of people have complained that the HDS is a bit too big for EDC. I don't carry mine in the pocket, the Peak Matterhorn or an Arc AAA is much better for that. However, when I expect to use my light a lot, I almost always grab my HDS with a 2xCR123 body. It's the perfect length for my hands, and I feel much more comfortable with it than with the 1xCR123 body.

Hans

Only downside to small lights is that they're so damn easy to misplace.
    I have a couple M.I.A. Dorcy 1xAAA's that will attribute to that fact. haha

Thank God they were cheap.

If they made a light the size of a postage stamp that put out a thousand lumens for 300 hours, I'd buy one and stick it to the top of my head. Then I could walk around at night with both hands free and the whole room would be lit up from the light reflected off the ceiling.

I'm STILL laughing about this- that was great- I'd probably do the same if it existed.

my arc AAA-P ain't too small at all. I find its size is great for EDC cause it will go on your keychain. for all other uses, the A2 is enough for me.
    It isn't the life that matters, it's the courage you put into it.

Flashaholic

If they made a light the size of a postage stamp that put out a thousand lumens for 300 hours, I'd buy one and stick it to the top of my head.
    I guess you must be bald

My favorite flashlight went from a 5C Maglite to a Garrity 4AA to a River Rock 2AA (Jupiter). So I'm definitely trending towards smaller lights but I'm not yet a fan of the 'beensy' class.

I haven't had use of an EDC light so I don't carry any of the keychain lights.

I also hate bulky keychains and have gone to great lengths to only carry the minimum amount of junk on my split ring ... only my car's electronic fob and the keys I use frequently.

I just haven't found myself needing a modest light source in an emergency in at least 10 years. When I use a flashlight, I know about it ahead of time and I carry something bigger (see above).
    --- Bror Jace

Flashaholic*

can HDS PLEASE GET MORE 2x123 bodies out!!!
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

I don't like carrying too much in my pockets, so for me a small light it good. I currently EDC my Exolion. I find CR2 lights perfect size. They are small, and yet can be bright when you need brightness. Smaller than a CR2 would probably be too small though I guess becuase the runtime would be horrible if you wanted it to be bright.
    My small collection: Surefire 8ax, Orb Raw, Costco 10 million and 15 million, Streamlight Ultrastinger, and the Exolion

Flashaholic*

No. For EDC, I want the smallest package possible. An EDC is an emergency light, something designed to be on you all the time. It doesn't have to be blindingly bright but it has to be there when you need it. I don't care if it can scorch your cornea from 100 yards away, if I can't put it in my pocket along with my key FOB for my car as well as other keys on my keychain, and not give me the "is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" syndrome, then it's staying home. So in essence, some lights are NOT too small.

Small can be really nice. While some have mentioned carrying an ARC AAA around their neck -- I'm one who can't stand something even that big on a neck chain, but I don't even notice a Photon.

Its not like you MUST carry a light with your whole meaty fist...

My l0P, for example , is a bit small in the hand.
    But when lying under some equipment and needing both hands to work, it fits perfectly between my teeth

I'm giving one of those AdvancedMart 1xAA twistys a try.