Polymer ring on SF U2

pilou

Enlightened
OK, there is no doubt that the SF U2 is an incredible light. But for that kind of money, there should be nothing to nitpick about if you want to buy it. So does that polymer ring to change light levels feel funny to the touch, weird, or just out of place on a metal body? I know, I know, I am being mega-anal :grin2:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't want a metal ring instead. A metal ring on the metal body would either require constant maintenance (lubrication) or would end up grinding. The polymer ring has a good feel, both in the ring itself and in its twisting motion.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The polymer ring is lighter and tougher than an equivalent in aluminum. The U2 doesn't need to be any heavier, and I think an aluminum selector ring would collect a lot of impact nicks.

frankbyerswat

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
A metal ring on the metal body would either require constant maintenance (lubrication) or would end up grinding.
I am absolutely agree of that.
A metal ring not reliable.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't bother me a bit. Today's polymers can be quite tough. They certainly aren't yesterday's plastic.

I havent' question the use at all, primarily due to having gotten past the whole "plastic is cheap and will break" mindset when I bought my first Glock. If today's polymers can handle repeated shock from a .46ACP, I doubt anything I can dish out will hurt the U2's ring. Course, they aren't the same polymer, but you can see what I mean...

pilou

Enlightened
Durability wan't even on my mind when I asked the question. I just wanted to know if it just felt odd, both in a tactile and esthetic sense. Apparently it's not a problem at all. Thanks for all the replies :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou said:
Durability wan't even on my mind when I asked the question. I just wanted to know if it just felt odd, both in a tactile and esthetic sense. Apparently it's not a problem at all. Thanks for all the replies :)

Oh! My bad. Thanks to some nerve damage in my fingers, I may be wrong, but, the ring is pretty hard, so I doubt I'd notice a difference even if I didn't have a bit of lost feeling. To be honest, had someone else's thread not pointed out that the ring is not metal, I probably would have never noticed.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought the very same thing about the SF U2... I was scarred that it would feel cheap and crapy with the plastic rotation ring...

but it is very high quality... its not a 'cheap' option or something like that... the material was chosen for a reason.... its not toy like or rattlely/loose, like the gladius tailcap or something...