SureFire

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

It seems to me that for the past few days this dboard have been dominated by SureFire. Hmmmm.
grin.gif

p.s. Any info on Pelican M5 ?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to take pictures, by they were just finalizing the design, and didn't want anyone to be confused, or possibly "steal" their ideas just before they released theirs. What I saw, was very nice, and if the 6p didn't have all the accessories and options, I would buy the Pelikan because of style, and second, I would save $10/15 bucks to boot.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> What I saw, was very nice <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did you see???

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to give you an idea of how nice a light it was.... consider the following

Everything else that we saw was ordinary.. just OK, nothing really worth taking pictures of. From Size 15s point of view, if it wasn't Surefire, it was rubbbish... except for the M5, which he was actually impressed with, as was I.

How's this... the 6p is a classic, but the E2 has it beat hands down for styling (kinda like a porsche). The M5 is more BMWish and the beam on the prototype was right there with the M2 that Al had him. Best I can do with words....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of all the non-SureFire 2 cell 123A lights I saw at SHOT, the Pelican M5 was the one with most potential.

Smith&Wesson - don't go there. tailswitch was horrible.
TACMIII - Disappointing. I had hopes for this - was going to order one. Just as well I got to try it first!
ASP TacLite/Triad - Again, I respect the review and views of Mr K, but wasn't impressed. I think the ASP guy got suspisious when I took one apart, installed my own SF123As and compared it against the E2e, G2 and M2. Granted, none of my comparisons were in the low-light conditions but the beam just wasn't up to much in my opinion.
Scorpion - I'm too biased against StreamLight - buy I was not happy with the switch, the tacky grip or the beam. Focusable doesn't float my boat.
IT/SL M-3 - Pile of rubbish - the beam was pathetic.
Laser Devices TL-2 (2 cell) - Beam was okay, but the body and switching were dreadful - I mean dangerously.
LX - Too huge bezel for EDC. Switch is too difficult to click. Beam when focused was the best at the price - I mean out of all non-SureFires, to get a beam that good has to be given some credit.

The Pelican M5 had a pretty good beam - I think the switch was okay. The body felt okay. I have a couple of reservations - I stressed to the guy (Thanks for sharing Mr Pelican guy BTW) that he must make the beam fixed focus. Do the shock absorbing he was planning, and make it WATERPROOF!! I was alarmed that Pelican are moving away from universal waterproofing. The StealthLites are not waterproof anymore!! It was a sad day, but of all the stands, I had most hope.

I got to try that Aluminat'r - or whatever the nasty thing is called.

I also got to try the UKE 2L - I'm buying a couple. Where was UKE at SHOT? Anyways...

Laters!

Al
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15s. Thanks for the mini update. If you don't mind, some comments and questions.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Smith&Wesson - don't go there. tailswitch was horrible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Agreed. They need to stick to revolvers. Wonder who makes their light.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> TACMIII - Disappointing. I had hopes for this - was going to order
one. Just as well I got to try it first! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Very much agreed. The lamp assembly is made in Mexico same as SF and looks like a SF but smooth reflector and different diameter.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> M-3 - Pile of rubbish - the beam was pathetic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What M-3? Is this the IT/SL pistol light?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Laser Devices 2 cell <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks for the warning. Where might I look at one?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Of all the non-SureFire 2 cell 123A lights I saw at SHOT, the Pelican
M5 was the one with most potential. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Very high praise indeed. I have handled about five models of Pelican's and was very disappointed in the beam(s). I will watch for this one.
Thanks Al.
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Phred

All the Smith and Wesson stuff is made in China to their specifications...quality was so, so... they need to work quite a bit on the design however

Size15's

Flashaholic
If, the Pelican M5 will be just as tough as I've experienced the StealthLites to be, just as waterproof, prefocused, and just as cheap, it will have a beam quality to match the LX, but in a smaller, better styled package with a better switch.

The Pelican M5 could be a G2 without the SureFire accessories, interchangeability, options, and customer service.

I am frightened that the Pelican M5 may not be waterproof because Pelican appear to be running away from that since the latest StealthLites are not waterproof.

The M-3 is the IT/SL Weaponmountable Light.

It was unfortunate that I didn't get to try the TL-2 from Laser Devices Inc. with their new tailswitch because their 3-way toggle switch was dreadful - it felt like I could break it, and the sharp, abrasive guards made it very difficult to use - dangerous I felt.

Al