Just got an E1L-short review

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I just got my E1L the other day direct from Surefire. Pretty cool, won the May true stories on the Surefire site. Anyways, I've been looking at getting one of these for a while. I've got several other LED's but haven't had a Surefire LED yet. I have a SF G2 and M3 that I really do like. I thought I would post my impressions about this neat little light. I've done some reading on here about the E1L and it seems that some people like them while others don't, as is the case with many things. I really like the size (smallest light so far) and of course, I really like the HA III finish surefire uses. I did get the F04 beam diffuser and would recommend that to anyone with the E1L. The E1L uses the TIR (total internal reflection) for throw with not alot of sidespill, enough to be a little usefull though. I read on flashlightreivews that it uses a 3w luxeon but is driven at 1.5 watts. I guess that is to extend the run time since it uses only 1X123 battery. The color of the light is the whitest of all my LED's. In terms of throw, my Streamlight 4AA PP Lux blows away the E1L , even with the beam diffuser off the E1L. I didn't want the E1L for throw, I have several other lights for that. I needed something for close up work, especially around the house at night since I start getting ready for work at 11:00pm and don't want to wake anyone. The floody beam with the F04 diffuser is great and lights up a hallway or small rooms easily. According to flashlightreviews, it should have a runtime of around an hour and 30 minutes to 50%. I think I've only got 20 minutes runtime since I got it. This isn't the brightest or smallest of the single 123 lights out their but I think it will be a good little light for what it is. It is alot brighter than my Dorcy Super 1 watt 1X123 which I thought was pretty bright for the size. One last thing, I think it could probably do without the pocket clip, doesn't seem like it would work very well. Easier to just put it in your pocket. Or, do like I did and get the V82 holster. I think this will be my new EDC along with my G2 and M3.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Aaron1100us said:
One last thing, I think it could probably do without the pocket clip, doesn't seem like it would work very well. Easier to just put it in your pocket.

Aaron1.1ms, thanks for the mini-review. The pocket clip can be removed, if you want. Take the head off and pull (hard) UP on the pocket clip, and it can slide out of its slot.

mccavazos

Enlightened
I also just got an E1L (yesterday). I really like it as well. I like the beam of the TIR optic, especially outdoors. Indoors, I haven't had a problem with it so far, but I've only used it for one night. I am using an R123 in it and the output does appear to be brighter than with the CR123. I removed the clip as instructed, but I would like to add that you should remove the o-ring first to avoid damage. Also not that there is a plastic spacer between the clip and the body (Don't lose it!). Anyway I thing that this is another nice offering from surefire. I recommend it! And if you don't like the beam, get it modded with an McR-20!

Chris

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Thanks, I forgot about that O-ring.

mccavazos said:
I like the beam of the TIR optic, especially outdoors.

I agree; "Outdoorsman" is the right name. It's funny--I didn't care at all for the Inova TIR beam, for some reason, but this one I like just fine <boggle>.

Also, a McE2S is a nice addition -- mine wears the smallest Mc-tailcap, I think it's called the "flattop", in order to maintain good pocketability (also provides candle-mode!!). I'll have to look into that V82 holster, too...

If you like the original tailcap, then you might consider ye ole' tailcap mod, to enhance the feel of the switch and prevent it from getting "stuck:" Insert a washer, which can be found at the negative end of a CR123a battery, between the two sections of the switch assembly inside the tailcap. It really does improve things.

mccavazos

Enlightened
Galiphrey said:
It's funny--I didn't care at all for the Inova TIR beam, for some reason, but this one I like just fine <boggle>.

I also didn't care much for the Inova TIR. I have a McE2s on the way, with a 22-ohm resistor (I hope its not too much). I also ordered a standard HA-NAT tailcap, which still appears to be significantly smaller .945 inch vs the 1 and 3/8? inch of the z57 that comes with it. Now if I could just find a suitable holster!

Chris

BBL

Enlightened
Galiphrey said:
Thanks, I forgot about that O-ring.
If you like the original tailcap, then you might consider ye ole' tailcap mod, to enhance the feel of the switch and prevent it from getting "stuck:" Insert a washer, which can be found at the negative end of a CR123a battery, between the two sections of the switch assembly inside the tailcap. It really does improve things.
What exactly does that mod do?

i say it doesnt help in any way. all it does is:
- it moves the contacts further apart
- it slightly reduces spring tension
- it moves the rubber boot away from the switch housing, reducing water resistance.

the click-mechanism itself isnt affected - it works not better or worse.
the switch travel stays the same, the engagement point is the same.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
mccavazos said:
I also didn't care much for the Inova TIR. I have a McE2s on the way, with a 22-ohm resistor (I hope its not too much). I also ordered a standard HA-NAT tailcap, which still appears to be significantly smaller .945 inch vs the 1 and 3/8? inch of the z57 that comes with it. Now if I could just find a suitable holster!

Chris

Hi Chris, here's a quick pic of the two (the standard version is a little wider than z57):

tailcaps2om.jpg

BBL, on the washer-mod, I don't know why it works, but it does. It avoids the lock-up problem that many have complained about this switch and gives it a better feel. I tried it; it works. I searched and found the original thread where I read about it, from LitFuse; you can find better information about it here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/30255&page=1

mccavazos

Enlightened
Thanks for the pic. I am glad that it is a bit wider (the stock E1L looks a bit top heavy) It defiantly looks shorter, another plus. I read about the washer mod but didn't really consider doing it until now, thanks. :)