What you think about Streamlight TL-3 LED?

edtpm

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I just received my Streamlight TL-3 LED, TLR-1 and SureFire U2 this week. From my opinion, the SureFire U2 and Streamlight TLR-1 are really great, but I am very disappointed about Streamlight TL-3 LED. From the specification, it should output 90 lumens, but I feel its brightness is lower than TLR-1 which is only 80 lumens. If I compare with SF U2, TL-3 LED's output is around the 3rd level of U2 (6 level output from 2 ~ 100 lumes).

I just wonder what's your opinion.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was interested in buying a TL-3 LED a few years ago also until i started reading CPF. Then i realized there were much better lights out there & many were priced even less.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try new battery cause my TL 3 is bright like the U2 level 5 but no hot spot, so the brightness is the same like the U2.

Paladin

Enlightened
These lights never fail to disappoint as far as throw is concerned, but if a "floody" output is desired they are more acceptable. At 25 yards my whole back yard is lit fairly well, and I like the "wall of light" for some uses. Considering how mild the current drive level is (around 420 to 540 mA IIRC) the lower output is to be expected. Even when just 6 volts is applied 65 or 75 mA is drawn, and useable light output was present.

For the same $ today there are better alternatives available that were not around when I bought mine. But the simplicity of a resistor driven LED and twisty tailcap has little that can go wrong, and the batteries don't get run very hard. I would never feel inadequately prepared for after dark activities carrying a TL-3 LED, and it CAN handle what needs lit up most of the time.

One of mine survived several long range sessions hanging off my varmint rifle and never missed a beat from overheating. I like the TL-3 form factor a lot, and the LED version runs a LOT longer than the Xenon which is overkill for almost all my lighting needs anyway. Older ones had an adjustable bezel allowing a bit better beam quality, BTW.

Paladin

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that the light failing to meet your expectation is rooted in the fact that the TL-3 uses a Luxeon V module which is primarily a flood rather than a Luxeon III which would exhibit more throw?

edtpm said:
I had tried new battery and the result is same. :(

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the TL3 beam a lot like an L4s beam? I have always wondered about this.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags said:
Is the TL3 beam a lot like an L4s beam? I have always wondered about this.

Yes but the L4 beam provides even more flood over a wider area.