Need flashlight recommendation URGENTLY

rvaccha

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am currently in Las Vegas and leaving USA via one day in Philadelphia on Sunday.

I need a great flashlight immediately (I guess it has to be something that I can buy in a store such as best buy, fry's, walmart, i.e. a retail store in vegas).

I am looking for two flashlights, one that is good to use around the house, as I live in a country where we have frequent blackouts.

The other flashlight, which is really the main one I am looking for, is to use while trekking and around the yard etc. in the night.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

RK

Skyclad01

Enlightened
For around the house you can get the River Rock 2AA light from Target for appx.$10. And for backyard use theres either the Dorcy 3AA Metal Gear ($18), or the Dorcy CR123A Super 1 Watt from Target ($20), as well as the Brinkman Maxfire LX ($16).

Im sure others will chime in with more suggestions for you.

I also should mention the Innova Radiant 2AA from target as your around the house light (appx.$20), or the River Rock 1.5 Watt lantern is an excellent choice as well if they have them in stock ($20)

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello rvaccha:)

Welcome at cpf:grin2:

Because you are in the USA, you should have to buy a few Maglites:).

Preferably the Led ones.

Best regards

_____
Tom

rvaccha

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply.

Are these the regular yellow light or the white light? Which tends to be brighter?

Thanks,
RJ

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
rvaccha said:
Thanks for your reply.

Are these the regular yellow light or the white light? Which tends to be brighter?

Thanks,
RJ

The new MagLEDs are white light. The beam battern is much better and smoother than the old incandescent bulbs. Not sure about brightness, but generally white LED light renders colors a little poorer than the 'yellow' light, so even though the white light might be brighter, you might see better with the yellow.

Also, LED lights are poor fog cutters. If you know you are headed for misty/foggy territory, stick to an incandescent. If I'm not wrong, the MagLEDs come with a spare incandescent bulb in the tailcap as per normal maglite, and you can swap it around for flexibility.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
FYI, the Brinkmann Legenx LX is incan, not LED. But all the other ones I named in my above post are LED's

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target and Fry's would be your best bets as they offer higher quality and better performing lights. As mentioned, the River Rock 0.5W lights are good for low-light level stuff around the house. The Brinkman Maxfire is a very low-priced xenon light that's very bright. Both are available at Target, who also carries a few Inova lights. The X1 is like the RR 0.5W lights, low light, but long battery life. The X5 is bright and floody.
Fry's has a larger selection of higher end lights including higher end Inovas and Pelicans. You can pick up a Pelican M6 xenon there. I haven't been to a Fry's in a while, but they have a very nice selection of lights.

BombTec

Newly Enlightened
Look around town a bit, I bet you'll find a local surefire dealer.....

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
By using a somewhat random Las Vegas zip code, on the Surefire dealer locator, I found the following few dealers...

BILLS BUY & SELL2.20 Miles1104 FREMONT ST.
LAS VEGAS, NV 89101
Phone: (702) 382-1133

ABSOLUTE EQUIPMENT2.86 Miles3853 E. CRAIG ROAD, SUITE #1
NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV 89030
Phone: (702) 651-6693

AMERICAN SHOOTERS SUPPLY2.88 Miles3440 ARVILLE STREET
LAS VEGAS, NV 89102
Phone: 702-362-1223

BOND'S HOUSE OF CUTLERY2.88 Miles3540 W. SAHARA AVENUE, E-7
LAS VEGAS, NV 89102
Phone: 702-870-2347

JUNGLE TOY2.88 Miles43 SPRING MOUNTAIN ROAD #120
LAS VEGAS, NV 89102
Phone: (702) 227-0685

There are probably more, I would try to find a Police supply store, for more choices.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
rvaccha said:
as I live in a country where we have frequent blackouts.
You did not consider the really important point:

[b:]How is the battery/current supply situation?[/b]
(are You able to recharge when current is there? can You get batteries easy? all kind of batts? ...)
f.e.: Sure Fire lights are of the most powerful AND smallest possible, but they eat expensive CR123 batteries like crazy...
then, when You are not from the field, LED are great now. Any good 2AA LED light kills similar sized normal lights now.

so:
STREAMLIGHT Propolymer 4 AA or Underwater Kinetics 4AA Zoom eLED (2 stage output) for a power light,
a Maglite Minimag 2AA with one of the LED-inserts (Terralux f.e.) for the "use all times"-light (or a comparable 2 AA light)

rvaccha

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I can either go to Fry's and get the flashlight from there, or get a surefire, e.g E1L.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RJ

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't think of anything more useful than a headlamp in a blackout. Forget Walmart and Target (unless you want to bring Maglights as gifts, they are horrible expensive overseas). Go to REI or another outdoor retailer and get a Princetone Tec headlamp. They have them on display so you can try them out. I recomend the Apex but you are sure to find something in your budget. I can't imagine he wants to deal with CR123s oversea's but who knows. He didn't give us much info to go on.

There is an REI in Henderson:
http://tinyurl.com/m394r

Since you are new here check out this great review sight, you can sort the tables by battery type or Ratings etc.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html
Many of these lights will not be available locally.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

If there's a security supply store near, try checking out the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon (not to be confused with the 7 SS LED).

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

C4LED

Enlightened
Here are some suggestions:

- UK 4AA eLED (as already mentioned) 11 hr runtime
- Mini Mag w/Nite Ize drop in 6-8 (hr?) runtime
- Inova X1 (from target) 1 AA (6-8 hr runtime if I recall corectly)
- Princton Tech (PT) Attitude 4AAA (Long runtime - don't know exact amount)
very water proof/resistant.
- CMG or (Gerber if you can't get a CMG) Ultra - 1AA 11 hr runtime

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
If I'm not wrong, the MagLEDs come with a spare incandescent bulb in the tailcap as per normal maglite, and you can swap it around for flexibility.

You are correct.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I pack around in my back pocket at work.
41-4265.jpg

Takes 2xAA and gets good runtime. The LED is a bit on the bluish side but still very useable. It'll illuminate a 20-30 ft path in front of me.
I'm gonna keep it in service til I see what Mag offers up in the 2XAA's.
Then I'll probably just use it as a spare car light.

rvaccha

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I went to Fry's today. They had the following models in stock:

1) Coast brand flashlights
2) Streamlight Twintask
3) Streamlight 3C
4) Streamlight 2D
5) Streamlight 3AA
6) Streamlight rechargable
7) Inova X03
8) Inova X1
9) Inova X5
10) Inova superbright LED flashlight
11) Pelican M3

Or I could get a surefire from the surefire dealer, although it is much more expensive :) and I do not plan to use my flashlight much. I really need it for an upcoming vacation for about 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
the places selling surefires might also be selling night ops GLADIUS that light will cover both your needs and is a very high quality light , since your here in the states ya might as well get a light that is very hard to get at home due to price

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
rvaccha said:
and I do not plan to use my flashlight much.

mmmhmmm That's what they all say...

I say go for the gusto and break the bank with a surefire beast. :rock:
You'll be the envy of your native country and probably be able to illuminate half of it with it. :lolsign: