help with power calculation

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a ohms law calculator.

I have two values 15volts at 2.5amp / portable TV-DVD player.

it comes with a car battery cord.

It takes 10xD batteries.

alkaline batterys are 1.5v x 10 = 15volts = 2.5 amp = 37.5 watts

ni-mh batterys are 1.2v x 10 = 12volts = ?

what i am looking for is the ability to slide the voltage up and down from 15-10 and see the changes in amps or watts.

any help would be appriciated.

thankyou

Last edited:

MoonRise

Enlightened
??

Ohm's Law is simple. E = I x R or Volts = Amps x Ohms (using the proper units in the equation).

For power, P = EI, or using a substitution from Ohm's Law, P = I2R

What is the complicating factor in your original question is using 'ideal' values in a real-world application.

An alkaline cell is nominally 1.5 Volts when brand new and when the load is small (the type and size and hence capacity of the cell determines to a large extent just how small 'small' must be).

But in the real world, there is voltage sag under load and dropping voltage as the cell is used. Read through the Electronics section of CPF, especially the stickies about cell testing and all those great plots and curves and tests that SilverFox did/does on a whole bunch of different cells.

Under a 2.5 Amp load, a D-cell alkaline is -NOT- going to be supplying 1.5 volts. Nope, no way. Most brand-new never-been-used D-cell alkalines would barely be supplying 1.1 to 1.2 volts after less than 5 minutes use at a 2.5 amp rate.

Next real-world complication is that many devices are not necessarily linear with regards to power requirements. In an idealized device/world, if the power needed was constant then as the voltage supplied to the device dropped then the current needed would increase in a linear manner (from P=EI, if P=constant then changing either voltage or current means a corresponding change in the other term to maintain the constant power). In the real world, as the voltage drops the current drawn by the device may increase, decrease, or stay the same.

If your question is really "I have a portable DVD player that uses 10xD alkalines. Can I use 10xD NiMH cells instead?" my answer would be "Probably yes".

BTW, I think this -probably- should have gone in the Electronics section of CPF.

wwglen

Enlightened
And even though the device says it needs 15VDC ant 2.5A it ACTUALLY will use a lot less.

They usually oversize the power supply by 50% - 100% and then base it on worst case values (sound max, brightness max, motor starting up etc.)

wwglen