3854-H: DOA

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
The bulb in my ROP LE burnt out so I opened a fresh 3854 blister package and dropped in a new 3845-H but it was DOA! No flash, no nothing.

I checked it with an ohm meter it measured open. I examined the filament with a magnifier and it appears to be intact. Anyone else have this problem with the 3854-H?

jwl

Enlightened
I had one die on me tonight. Not DOA, it ran for probably 10 minutes and died. The filament looks prefect, everything looks fine, but the bulb tests open. I don't have a magnifying glass but the everything looks fine. :sigh:

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking the problem may be hidden down in the PR base. I took a soldering iron and re-touched the solder blob on the bottom and the one on the side, still nothing. I think I'll dissect the base and see what's going on.

Addendum: I dissected the base and that wasn't the problem. I tested across the bare wires coming out of the glass bulb, still open. Then I chucked the bulb into a vise and slowly cranked down on it until the glass shattered leaving the filament intact. One end of the filament was loose from it's mounting. This is exactly where my last 3854-H failed after about 10 minutes of use.

Last edited:

Latest posts