(Almost) had to save the world today! - In praise of EDC.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I was in an elevator today, middday, bright sunny day outside, and hwen it reached our floor, the doors didn't open, then the lights went out, only for a couple of seconds, but that was long enough for me to be grateful that I had 3 flashlights about my person!

Surefire M2, Surefire 6P in opposite jacket pockets, and Arc AAA-P on a neck cord.

The only people in the elevator were myself, my wife, and our 18 month old twins, but it just shows, you can find yourself in need of light anywhere, at anytime.

I wouldn't have felt the need to climb out of the roof hatch, like they do on the movies, and we were on the ground floor, so no danger of plummeting anywhere, but I could have provided comfort and reassurance to others until help arrived, which is important on some levels, I guess....

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dreaded elevator scenario is exactly why I carry an Arc AAA (lithium) on my keys. It'll give a good 4-5 hours of runtime, and a lot more if used sparingly. My regular EDC (whatever that happens to be) probably wouldn't come close in the runtime dept.

cheers

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a light for that reason or being in the bathroom when it fails.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having kids changes your whole perspective.
You have to consider them too as they can't fend for themselves.
Mine is half the reason I EDC a light.
Hence why I laways have an Arc, like you, on my keychain, and something else in the pocket.
If nothing else, discuss the incident off handledly with the wife, then at the end, "could you imagine being stuck like that in the dark with the twins?"
But you'll be able to get her to start carrying something, for their sake, i the purse (assuming she doesn't already as you made no mention of it).

Hans

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
The dreaded elevator scenario is exactly why I carry an Arc AAA (lithium) on my keys. It'll give a good 4-5 hours of runtime, and a lot more if used sparingly. My regular EDC (whatever that happens to be) probably wouldn't come close in the runtime dept.

Several years ago I spent an hour on a tube train after an accident on the line with no light and several increasingly panicky passengers. It wasn't really a nice situation. That's when I started EDCing a light at all times, a MiniMag with a set of spare batteries. Today I carry two lights, a Peak Matterhorn and a HDS with a spare battery. The HDS runs *a long time* on the primary level, so it should cover most situations nicely.

Hans

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Good work there, RAF Groundcrew.

Over 25 years ago, I got stuck all alone in an elevator in the tallest hi-rise office building in downtown Los Angeles. A small earthquake had caused some power disruptions, so everything stopped... and went black.

I groped my way to the cab's emergency phone and, after some delay, got connected to a very sweet lady at the building's security desk in the lobby. She had no idea what had happened, and in the confusion, failed to notice that several other elevators had also been disabled.

Then, SHE ASKED ME WHAT I THOUGHT SHE SHOULD DO! (Comforting, huh?)

I calmly urged her to call the fire dept. ASAP. (Now that's original!)

As the minutes ticked away in that dark elevator -- 40 stories up -- I eventually heard the sirens approaching in the distance. After more tense minutes, a fireman came on the line and told me that the building's emergency generators had failed, but not to worry (Right). Eventually, they got things sorted out and my elevator adventure came to an end.

The next day, I went to some local "survival nut" (*cough*) store and bought some books on "self-reliance" -- along with a bunch of gear -- and a Mag-type flashlight that got promptly installed in my briefcase.

Over the years, many Sheeple have chided me for my "paranoia" (which has since bailed me and many others outta some jams). These days, I just resist an urge to pee on their sandals -- then I laugh, emit a quick Sheeple-bleat, and walk away -- along with Mr. SF E2L and Mr. Peak Matterhorn a-clankin'.

amanichen

Enlightened
The next day, I went to some local "survival nut" (*cough*) store and bought some books on "self-reliance" -- along with a bunch of gear -- and a Mag-type flashlight that got promptly installed in my briefcase.
Over the years, many Sheeple have chided me for my "paranoia"
It does seem like an over-reaction to the situation. The line between between keeping a handy light on a keychain (or in a briefcase), and going Guns-Ammo-and-Camo :xyxgun: in response to being stuck in an elevator for a few hours, is pretty wide.

It's interesting to see how people react when technology fails, or gets replaced. Some people deal with it, and move on, and others appear as if their whole world view has been shaken.

My 2[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]¢[/font]

wmirag

Enlightened
I was on a commuter train into NYC last week when I noticed a very well dressed buiness fella across from me putting his Wall Street Journal into his lawyerly brief case. As he fumbled around in there, a good lookin' yellow flashlight came into view. We're not alone.

W.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
webley445 said:
If nothing else, discuss the incident off handledly with the wife, then at the end, "could you imagine being stuck like that in the dark with the twins?"
But you'll be able to get her to start carrying something, for their sake, i the purse (assuming she doesn't already as you made no mention of it).
I got my wife a Surefire G2 a while back, and she keeps it in her jacket pocket, along with 4 replacement lithium cells.
I'm thinking of gettng a secong SF L1, for EDC, as they run for a long time (90 hours I think) on low, on 1 CR123 lithium. I already have one as my 'creeping around the house at night light', but I think it would make a good EDC, instead of my 6P (I'm still keeping the M2 with P61 in my jacket, just in case).

robk

Enlightened
I EDC a L0P and a L1P, two nights ago after lighting my gas grill with the aid of my L1P at about 9:30PM, I heard a car crash about 2 houses away from me. I ran over there and pulled the driver out of the car (it was smoking) with the help of a neighbor who had a pitiful $2 plastic 2-D flashlight. The L1P was much brighter, we could see what we were doing, actually had all the light we needed from the little 1AA light! Then the cops came with big Mags, sickly yellow beams. The guy was OK, a little cut up, a little dazed, but the EMTs said he was just bruised. First time I ever used a light in an emergency - no time to run inside my house to get a bigger brighter light - but the L1P did the job!

Rob

Curious_George

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me of a time couple of years ago ... we were at a restaurant and the power had gone out. Their restroom is in the basement with steep stairs, not good since I was 7 pregnant. Good thing I had my E2E with me :)

Now, I am looking for smaller EDC ... and the search begins...

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
amanichen said:
It does seem like an over-reaction to the situation. The line between between keeping a handy light on a keychain (or in a briefcase), and going Guns-Ammo-and-Camo :xyxgun: in response to being stuck in an elevator for a few hours, is pretty wide.

It's interesting to see how people react when technology fails, or gets replaced. Some people deal with it, and move on, and others appear as if their whole world view has been shaken.

My 2[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]¢[/font]

Amanichen, would you mind expanding, or clarifying, your post?

I'm particularly confused by your "going Guns-Ammo-Cammo" reference in this thread's context of EDC practical flashlight use.

amanichen

Enlightened
TonkinWarrior said:
Amanichen, would you mind expanding, or clarifying, your post?

I'm particularly confused by your "going Guns-Ammo-Cammo" reference in this thread's context of EDC practical flashlight use.
Simple:

Over the years, many Sheeple have chided me for my "paranoia"
Maybe you didn't pick up on it, but it doesn't seem like the "sheeple" are bugging him just for carrying a flashlight.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Doesn't seem like an over reaction to me at all, but rather a realization.

It took a mildly desperate situation for him to realize that it's possible to be put in a very desperate situation. Most people go through their days believing that nothing can/will happen to them. Then when something does happen they are completely dumbfounded and unprepared. These people usually want to blame and/or depend on someone else when this happens.

(ETA: I am such a moron I need to remember not to post in threads when I am using the search feature.)

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
RAF Groundcrew are you in the military ? Royal Air Force ?
This kind of situation is exactly the reason why I started to carry a flashlight.
A few years ago, when I was a student, I worked in the french National Library. It is a huge huge library with 4 glass towers alongside from the river Seine in Paris. You can find pictures of this place by google-ing "Bibliothèque Nationale de France". Do it you'll understand better.
You can EASILY lost yourself in it.
When I was an employee (I do not lie or kidding) 2000-2002 :
DEATH :
-An employee died of a cardiac arrest in the Water-Closet/Rest-rooms friday. His body was discovered 4 DAYS LATER. He was hard as a piece of wood. The firemen from the rescue team had to use a saw to cut the legs.
-A worker felt down from a tower : it was Campbell Tomato soup on the ground.
-Two co-workers died : one commited suicide at home, the other died from a heart attack at 37. He was alcohol-addict. Both had a nervous breakdown and deep depression due to workplace.
HAZARDS :
-Fire : A power line cable malfunction started a fire. Fortunately it took place on sunday, the firemen took car of it and no one was hurt. Work was interrupted during one month in order to fix it safely. A lot of fire security devices are not functionnals.
-Flood : parts of the building were emloyees work are under the level of the river Seine. It is very often to notice water infiltration.
-Elevators : got problems very often.
-Terrorism : make a nice target to crash an airplane, very easy to spot and aim and very symbolical (burning occidental books and culture).

Then I started to carry a Mini-M@g with the normal crappy bulb. I do not lie or joke, and most of the time I worked in "blind places" with no windows and sunlights.
Now I carry Arc AAA-P and FEnix L0P-E + photon-clone freebie.
I look forward for something serious...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You never know when your going to need a light and for how long. With todays tech it is almost unconscionable not to carry one. Good job everybody. Funny that I read and respond to this thread today as I just redeployed my emergancy lights. My truck's glovebox is now home to a G2 w/BOG 3W module and a spare set of cells and locked up in my work cubicle is an original ARC-P with 2 spare lithuim cells and a E2O with a full spares carrier. Don't get me wrong, my truck and work area always had lights just not cool ones.

I always carry a Arc AAA-P on me, and a E2D and Tikka in my backpack which is always with me. I refuse to carry a man-purse.

When it comes to carrying lights most people are "sheeple." This weekend I went to dinner at an inlaws house. We went for a walk after dinner. They live in a very rural area and if the street lights fail your screwed. Did anyone have a light but me? No. My wife didn't need one as she knows I always have 2 on me. So we walk to a service road on a private golf course. It is really dark so I whip out a 9P. My wifes cousin comments wow, that is a very powerful light. My wife rolls her eyes and says "Ask him how much he paid for it." When I reply $70 my wife's cousin's husband lets out the "snort of disbelief." Sheeple, they just don't get it.