Cost of parts & manufacturing for $150+ lights

pilou

Enlightened
I wonder what the profit margins are on these lights. How complicated are the circuitries? Would a decent EE undergrad be able to design one in a day? How expensive is it to cut and anodize the bodies? You still seem to get the Luxeon lottery for many of these expensive lights, so I guess there isn't that much hand-selecting going on. I guess the reflectors need to be machined precisely.

So how much does it cost to fabricate a SF U2, a Gladius, ? Anyone knows? Anyone cares to guess? I know, one needs to know other factors such as production volume and design overhead to come up with reasonably accurate numbers, but let the guessing begin.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are taking into account the cost of research and development of these things, right? I think much of the cost is in R&D and I doubt at least SF has undergrad EE's straight out of college doing it...

JM-99

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Profit margin, COGs, and BOM are three different numbers that are related but the figures would all be different.

The Cost of Goods to manufacture a $150 flashlight should be about $15 or less. Total Bill of Materials shouldn't be more than $30, including labor. While this may give you illusions of wealth, bear in mind that there will be additional costs as well as various distribution channels that must be dealt with.

pilou said:
I wonder what the profit margins are on these lights. How complicated are the circuitries?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prototyping costs bucks. The price of the lights depends largely (mainly?) on the quantity being built. If you were only going to build one, chances are that it would cost more than they are normally sold for (which, in turn, means a negative profit!).

Last edited:

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Profit margin, COGs, and BOM are three different numbers that are related but the figures would all be different.

The Cost of Goods to manufacture a $150 flashlight should be about $15 or less. Total Bill of Materials shouldn't be more than $30, including labor. While this may give you illusions of wealth, bear in mind that there will be additional costs as well as various distribution channels that must be dealt with.

Just for clarification.

1) BOM + yield loss + labor + machine cost + quality control cost = Cost of Manufacturing
2) Cost of Manufacturing + selling expenses + shipping = Cost of Goods Sold
3) Cost of Goods Sold + R&D cost + provision for repair/return liability + Administration cost + factory overhead + inventory carrying cost + all misc cost + "hidden" mismanagement cost = estimate cost
4) estimate cost + profit margin + distributor's profit + distributor admin cost + distributor inventory carrying cost + retailer profit (mostly highest among all parties) + retailer admin cost + inventory carrying cost + many other expenses = retail price

After all these, SF doesn't make too much of money except from high volume contract from military.

Then, why Chinese made product cost that less? Aside from lower labor cost, lower investment on land cost, "minimum" quality control cost and smaller profit margin and unestimated hidden cost, Chinese manufacture everything in HUGE volume. The volume will have great material cost benefit (a tiny chinese factory might produce much more volume than SF and get luxeon in much cheaper price from luxeon).

Alan

*Retired*
One might be surprised to find out that some of these LumiLEDs Luxeon flashlights are actually sold from the factory of manufacture for 10-20 dollars.

For specialized small run lights (~1,000 units), a one man operation can be very profitable, since you don't have to pay for the typical company infrastructure. It can be a pain to assemble all the lights yourself, but thats what a pizza party is for... One cpf'er even started a very healthy retirement plan with his proceeds.

But the quick profit is in many of the HID lights, where profit margins are often incredible, especially for the distributor and reseller. You don't have to sell very many of them to realize a sizeable chunk of change. This especially applies to the Chinese produced HIDs. Amazingly, they somehow manage to get U.S. made type prices for them, even though they are only a small fraction of the real cost of a U.S. produced HID light.

pilou said:
I wonder what the profit margins are on these lights. How complicated are the circuitries? Would a decent EE undergrad be able to design one in a day? How expensive is it to cut and anodize the bodies? You still seem to get the Luxeon lottery for many of these expensive lights, so I guess there isn't that much hand-selecting going on. I guess the reflectors need to be machined precisely.

So how much does it cost to fabricate a SF U2, a Gladius, ? Anyone knows? Anyone cares to guess? I know, one needs to know other factors such as production volume and design overhead to come up with reasonably accurate numbers, but let the guessing begin.

Doubtful a EE undergrad could design the circuit in a day and have it work properly, plus he would also need to lay out the PCB, and with the higher currents present in typical Luxeon converters, the layout could easily get the typical EE undergrad into trouble.

Fortunately, there are now comming on the market, constant current boost and buck chips, which have everything integrated, so with a little skill in layout of power supplies, one could get something together. It takes a little more skill to achieve the design of one of these that is actually regulated and is also efficient.

I think you'd also need a ME to design a produceable body, and a produceable item that can take into account all the system tolerances isn't in the skill set of even your typical undergrad students.

You'd need both of them to work together in many areas, to achieve a good design, so they'd need that skill also. One also needs to design for manufacturability, which is usually out of the grasp of a typical undergrad just out of school. There have been a number of flashlights here on cpf where manufacturability is an issue...

Usually alot of money is blown on the first flashlight model, under the terms of R&D, where in reality, many costly mistakes are made getting a concept to the first working prototype and then again trying to manufacture it in small volumes. If one is actually deeply and personally involved with the whole process, it is much easier and much less is spent on R&D the second go around.

Sometimes the mistake is made to hire consultants who actually do all the work for you, where you learn very little. As such, each time, R&D costs can be huge. It is better to use them to help spin you up, like a tutor, and being personally and intricately involved-doing the work yourself with their guidance, so in the future you can do the task yourself.

Then there is the long term reliability, understanding how the threads will wear over time/cross-threading, battery contact issues, battery tolerances, designing the electronics to survive drops, switches that don't wear out, using materials and techniques that handle thermal stresses, essentially a design that can handle typical use, user mistakes, and atypical abuse.

These sorts of things, imho, really separate the 30 dollar lights from the 150 dollar lights.

Last edited:

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
$30 is a fairly good estimate for cost to produce just about anything that retails for $150.

Retailer, wholesaler, and is needed, importer all add their markups on top of the manufacturers profits.

A $200 iPod nano costs apple around $85, and the manufacturer has already made some profit at that price.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is one other item that should be mentioned - the cost of the scrap items, For every 100 of something made there will be a percentage that will not work. also - the cost of items made that did not sell, overproduction.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they used to say about Large Scale Integrated Chips that the first one off the assembly line costs $10 million, and every one after that costs $2; so how much do you want to sell the chip for? Decision about flashlights (high or low end) is perhaps a milder version of that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Most of the cost of almost every manufactured good isn't in the manufacturing as others have mentioned. It's in amortizing the development overhead and other company "burden," and the supply chain.

Nothing costs like making something in small volumes that's only economical to make in big volumes. A part that costs $5 to machine at volume can cost $5000 when done as a one-off. A $0.15 injection-molded part typically requires a mold costing thousands of dollars, and you will typically want to make those thousands at a time ... perhaps having them made once a month or once a quarter; even after the mold has been covered, it will still cost an astronomical sum to have a one-off made due to machine setup, just like the machined part.

NewBie is right about using consultants to design anything ... it's quite common for design houses to charge you a fortune to design something, yet the design house retains ownership of the design and you often must buy the product through them. If you specify outright ownership of the design, expect to pay more than double their going rate.

Radio - the cost of materials and labor to assemble the light might be right around $20, but the company overhead, R&D burden, etc will put the "cost" a bit closer to retail price. As much as the manufacturing cost is what people focus on, the costs of retailing and distribution are not insignifigant. There's a reason why the price is doubled and quadrupled after going through distribution then retail.

mdocod

Flashaholic
materials+construction+R&D+all other overheads: $35-70
knowing that people will pay $270: priceless

the china lights I buy for $4-30 probably cost $0.20-$2 to make, lol...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio said:
So if I believe this, and I have no reason not to, than my $100 B42XRGT only costs $20 to make? I just find that hard to believe, maybe I need a better analogy.

The MSRP of the B42XRGT was $150 I believe. You bought it at a blowout price remember. Also Henry doesn't use a distributer. He does however use a few select merchants, but I suspect their margin isn't as high as most comercial products. I would say that is true for most of the CPF merchants. Low margins, but also low overheads as they are basement family operations with internet sales and no employees.

Latest posts