explain Li-ion rcr123a behaviour to me

luminata

Enlightened
I have a set of rcr123a batteries. charged em put them in flashlight everything is fine. then suddenly they start acting wierd. when I activate the light it flashes on full brightness for a split second and then goes out. tried 2 different lights same thing. thought my flashlights were having problems and then dropped regular cr123s' in them and they both work fine. when rcr123a Li-ions are drained do they do this? both lights are regulated but I always thought things would start to fade or flicker when the batteried got drained like reguklar cr123s' do the light starts to fight to maintain output. do the rechargeables spurt once and then just die in a flash when they are drained? or do I need to return these batteries?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - You might want to post this in the battery section, and perhaps read some of the info in that section on Li Ions. There is a lot in the stickied area as well.

There is also a cpf wiki which is quite useful.

Welcome to CPF.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a protected cell complaining about too much current.. or.. are you saying.. when the batteries are near depletion they act like this.. also will happen.

example.. if the resting voltage is 3.2V.. and you have a boost ckt.. you will get basically full brightness when you turn on the light.. but very quickly the Vbat will drop to 2.5V and shut off.

You're lucky you have protected R123s if that is what is going on.. else you just destroyed your batteries.

-awr

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, when they are drain they do this as they are protected ones...

the protection thingy will kick in to prevent the li ion cells from overdischarging, which can lead to explosion of the cells.