Cheap host for stock Exolion FluPIC?

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Well, it seems a whole bunch of us nerds couldn't be happy with the elegant and totally practical user interface and T bin. We had to go and throw another $50+ at a bran spankin' new, nothin wrong with it, $250 keychain light.

Now I am tapped out, but need another host so that the stock engine doesn't go to waste. Besides, I need a back-up light for when that protected RCR2 in the suped-up Exolion suddenly craps-out in need of a recharge. Does anyone have any ideas for a (preferrably cheap) host and parts to make good use of the stock FluPIC?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but you guys are on your own regarding a cheap host... :grin2:

However, I do have one question... How much brighter is the UxxJ/K really, when compared with the TXOH that originally came with it? Anyone with a light meter do a bounce test? :) Lux measurements at 1m would probably be an inaccurate indication since the TXOH is a Joker LED and the current UxxJ/K are not..

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Exolion light engine will fit a Jil host (either DD or 1.3W), but you'll need the spacer ring ($5 from goldserve). Turn your DD or 1.3W into a Semi-Intelli. :laughing:

As for why I was not content with the stock Exolion LE, well, I was. I would have been perfectly happy with it. But goldserve had to come along and offer us U bins. Dirty trick. I suffer from the man disease that makes me have to have the best version available. Besides, such a fine Ti body really does deserve a U bin.:cool:

The U bin boards should be substantially brighter, as they are driven at 1000mA rather than 800mA. I don't have a light meter, but I'll be sure to take some comparison beamshot photos (real world ones, not just white walls). I expect the non-joker LED in a non-joker reflector will make quite a bit of difference as well. I kinda like the bright sidespill the mismatched stock LED gives, but the doughnut hole at close ranges kinda bugs me. If I want a flood, I'll buy a LDF lens (that reminds me...).

As for the interface, I would have been fine with the stock one too, but with the option available to me to customize my own, I couldn't resist that either. I like the simplicity of the Exolion; if the FLuPIC has a flaw, it's that there's almost too much customization--so much that sometimes I'd accidentally be reprogramming my Jil when trying to use it normally. Considering the complexity of programming, I don't fault gregw at all for wanting to keep things simple. I originally thought of locking in the levels at low/high/burst, but since I don't know how the U bin will perform at any given levels, I kept some programmability. It'll still be low/high/burst, but with strobe added, as well as 1-20 adjustments for low/high.

With the Burst on the U bin board running at 1000mA, I expect I'll stick almost exclusively with the 2 lower levels, but will always have the Burst for S&Gs.

AW

Newly Enlightened
If brightness is what you are after, a Lux I SXOH will beat hands down the Lux III UXOJ in all drive levels with the Exolion LE. Please see the following test results from DFlorentino in another thread :

LuxIvsLuxIII.jpg

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened
jefft:
Nerds? Well, me for one, except I have nice hinge-less Ti temples on my frameless glasses--no masking tape. I do want a pocket protector and I will discuss this in another thread at another time. I think they get a bad rap.

Planterz:
I guess a Jil would do. I think was hoping for something cheaper than a Jil. It's been a awhile since I looked them over--and I was only looking at the Intelli--maybe the non-Intelli models are a lot cheaper? (I'll check on my own.) Come to think of it, I was close to purchasing an Intelli when Greg posted the concept drawings for the Exolion and I stopped drooling over the Jil. Hmmm, so I buy an Exolion instead of a Jil Intelli, buy an Intelli-type interface for the Exolion, maybe buy a Jil of some kind to use the Exolion engine.... Must resist. I bought an Exolion instead of an Intelli and somehow I might end up with a Semi-Intelli anyway? This is nuts.

gregw:
I really like the Exolion. I feel guilty, in a way, even thinking of swapping out the LE. We call it flashaholism--gotta have a more complicated interface, a strobe of no practical use, a marginally brighter U-bin, and cook our fingers at 1000mA. Doesn't make much sense. Like you, I am curious as to the actual difference that the new LE will make, particularly the effect of the non-joker on the beam. My guess is that it will look crisper, "cooler", but actually be less practical for the close-up and indoor use that is most important to me.

Anyone:
Anymore ideas for a cheap host?
BTW, I just noticed that I have reached Enlightened status! Guess I'll go check-out the Passarounds and see if I qualify....

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobweb Hunter said:
gregw:
I really like the Exolion. I feel guilty, in a way, even thinking of swapping out the LE. We call it flashaholism--gotta have a more complicated interface, a strobe of no practical use, a marginally brighter U-bin, and cook our fingers at 1000mA. Doesn't make much sense. Like you, I am curious as to the actual difference that the new LE will make, particularly the effect of the non-joker on the beam. My guess is that it will look crisper, "cooler", but actually be less practical for the close-up and indoor use that is most important to me.

Absolutely no need for any guilty feelings whatsoever... As flashaholics, we are always looking for the brightest available solution, even if it turns out to be not that practical.. :grin2: