Custom light(s) in my Subaru

voodoochylde

Newly Enlightened
OK, this weekend I started installing a power inverter in my '90 Subaru Legacy. To make a long story short, I blew the inverter and now have two holes in my center console where I had the 110VAC sockets mounted.

Now I'd like to install some flexible reading/map lights that can retract into the holes when not in use. Problem is, I cannot find a suitable pre-built solution (suggestions here would be appreciated) and I'm also having a bit of trouble finding corrugated/flexible tubing or conduit. I'd like to find something capable of telescoping but I'm not crossing my fingers.

Also, any suggestions on the light itself (if I build it on my own)? Incandescant or LED? I can wire up just about anything I need to but I would like to hear some ideas from the members of this awesome board :D

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good question. First head to a hardware store. For an easy to find retractable cord, how about picking up a sprayer for a sink? You would have to put a sleeve in the dash for it to retract into. You'd replace the sprayer with your light and run wires through the middle. There is a difficulty that they are naturally floppy, not stiff. You might counter this by putting a piece of 12 gauge copper wire in the middle, when you bend the hose the wire would (hopefully) form to your desired shape. You would need to test all this to see if it would work.

You can also find in plumbing lengths of braided silver hose that are made to go between the toilet tank and the water supply. They already have a screw fitting on either end. You'll need to stiffen them.

You could also pick up a short length of household armored electrical wiring, perhaps keep the interior wiring for your conducters. This material bends but I don't know if it bends far enough for your use. There are also dozens of cheap, strong fittings readily available for this material.

A modified retractable metal car antenna would telescope in and out neatly. You'd mount the light at right angles and rotate it to aim the light.

>Also, any suggestions on the light itself (if I build it on my own)? >Incandescant or LED?

My personal preference is LED, even though it would need a voltage regulator to keep it fully happy. If you find a good source for real goosneck material, please post it here.

Luck!

voodoochylde

Newly Enlightened
Ken_MCE, thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I finally got to the hardware store today before work and found the same things you suggested. They (Ace Hardware) have a flexible-yet-stiff piece of tubing meant for plumbing of some sort which would be about the length/width I'm looking for.

Thank you for the ideas regarding that. I'll do a search shortly to figure out where people around the forums are getting their LED's and I agree that Light-emitting Diodes would probably be the best solution to my illumination needs.

I'll update this and maybe do a walkthrough when/if I actually get it done.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Fixed lighting projects page at the Sandwich Shoppe here. If you want variable brightness, check out the nFlex circuit from taskled.com here.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, when i read the title, i was like thinking "oooo he made some lights himself and place them inside the car ?"

that is "custom lights inside the car right?"

voodoochylde

Newly Enlightened
OMG you read my mind! Exactly what I'm looking for! THANK YOU!!!

gregw said:
Check the Fixed lighting projects page at the Sandwich Shoppe here. If you want variable brightness, check out the nFlex circuit from taskled.com here.

Latest posts