Computer Help Please

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could use some help on the order of loading in new programs.
I had my HD formatted and the OS reloaded using the Dell provided recovery disc, so I am starting from a clean slate. I added MS explorer and my ISP.
Now for the list to load.
Avast (free)
SpyBot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Firefox browser

I am running Windows XP SP1 Home. Should I load SP2? Any MS products I should look at? Any other programs that would be good?

Keep it simple, I 'm not real good with computers.

60 Gig HD
512 MB
2.7 Pentium

:thanks:

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would an online update of the operating system fully first, then update all the drivers, then install the software in your list. I don't think the order matter too much in that list.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF porkfreidricenacoke. Hang on to your wallet. You're in for a wild ride here. Lots of goddies to buy nowadays.

Thanks for the quick answers. Looks like load SP2, MS Defender, then the rest. Can I run AVG at the same time with Avast?

i wouldnt run to virus scaners at the same time .i didnt see ya had avast.all virus scaners are good i like free though.and i like em to not take a lot of cpu power to run i like em bloat free .

flashgreenie

Enlightened
do a system restore point after you done all the windows update and installed the anitvirus, anti spyware SW.
This would give you a good point to rollback to.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard a couple of times to disable system restore because :thinking: , I forgot :oops: . Something to do with a virus coming back because the system restored? :confused: . Help me out here :anyone:

shaman

Newly Enlightened
sunspot said:
I've heard a couple of times to disable system restore because :thinking: , I forgot :oops: . Something to do with a virus coming back because the system restored? :confused: . Help me out here :anyone:

Hi sunspot!

You are correct. If you were to have a virus (and not know about it), then at some point in the future find out is specifically when the problem with system restore happens. If your system restore point is before the virus, your ok. If after, then you've just restored the system with the virus. Due to the fact that viruses of today's time have quite different payloads (damages) then you could actually double the effects with system restore (or simply dodge the bullet all together).

Windows Update is a must for windows based systems, patching is your friend and can help mitigate the risks of OS specific vulnerabilities. Windows SP2 firewall is a must if you do not have another software firewall (zonealarm, mcaffee, symantec, etc) or a hardware based firewall (router/firewall, watchdog, checkpoint, etc). Arguably it is a must even if you have a hardware based firewall. Antivirus, Antispyware, and the like are also a must. Computer Associates etrust antivirus is a good low-overhead antivirus (I can't remember if it is free). AVG and ClamWin AV are free open source antivirus software.

Be very careful if you don't have the SP2 on your box yet, there are many examples of PC becoming compromised while downloading the patches required to make them secure (especially in new PCs). Not trying to scare you, just to inform you :)

Once you get your system, patched, AV installed, scanned for viruses (with latest virus signatures)... Make a backup or document the steps you took to get it this way. Save (if you can) all the downloaded patches and software to CD or DVD for safe keeping. This way if you need to trash and burn, you have the steps at hand and it will take you less time (the next time).

As far as other software.... I use the following on my home PCs (Does not touch my work environment). Mine is a bit different, because I have a double and a triple boot PCs (Windows XP and Linux). I try to use the same software on both :).

My Windows side has:

Browser: Firefox
Mail: Thunderbird
Productivity: OpenOffice
Antivirus: ClamWinAV
Firewall: SP2 w/ tweaked IPSEC policy.
Compression: 7-Zip.
Spyware: Spybot S&D
Password Management: Keepass and PasswordSafe
Website Design: NVU

I have quite a few others but this will be a good start (be forewarned, if downloading these... they can be quite big and thus take a severe amount of time to download if on dialup). As always, this is just my choice of software. There are many, many more that are competitive tangents of the above... I just choose the best for my needs.

PS. Believe it or not, if you get good and numb to formating and rebuilding your PC then you'll be stronger in the times to come, because you know what you have to do.

I hope this helps. Good luck in the rebuild.

Sincerely,

Shaman

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was going to say something about a firewall, but I guess a lot of people go online without one.

I personally wouldn't put my XP online before I have SP2 installed, or have a third party firewall. Well actually I guess if you disable "Messenger Service" that would be okay. I've put Win2k online a few times that way and I never got the worm. The first thing I do after installing an OS is disable Messenger service, but now SP2 does it for me.

That's one of the reasons I download the "network" version of the service pack. I can install it as many times as needed, without going online. Now that I think about it, I have it slipstreamed, and that's even handier. The autostreamer program makes it easy to do.

Still wondering what MS explorer is. Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer get installed with the OS, but MS explorer doesn't ring any bells.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
eluminator said:
Still wondering what MS explorer is.

Could possibly be the IE7 that was recently released.

Would have said MSN Explorer, but IIRC that gets installed by default. Granted you can remove it with group policies, scripts, reg hacks, local policies, and other OS hardening techniques... but it sure could be a lot easier :). Hopefully, sunspot has the SP2 on a seperate disc or it was installed by default... otherwise it will be a long download (250 meg IIRC as well).

Sincerely,

Shaman

flashgreenie

Enlightened
shaman is more eloquent than I am... :)
My point is that you should do a system restore point immediately after you install all the necessary windows update(SP2 is a must if you want the latest security updates) and antivirus.
This for me is a good point to roll back to if you get infected...
Also for the web explorer, I always set it to delete all cookies and temp info when I close the web explorer application. This way , you can get rid of quite a lot of poop you have acumalated in your cookie 'jar' when you are surfing around.
Regarding the SP2 firewall, should keep it on. Don't play around with the rules unless you know what you are doing.
Shaman, I don't quite understand you comments below about IPsec. IPsec is a way to encrypted/separate data traffic and it requires both party to use IPsec(i.e you and the other computer you are communicating to). It is normally not used unless you are are connecting to a VPN(i.e a company's internal network from outside).
Most important of all things, do backups of your own stuff(i.e photos, emails,...). OS and programs you can reinstall if needed but your own data is gone...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still wondering what MS explorer is. Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer get installed with the OS, but MS explorer doesn't ring any bells. :thumbsup:
You are correct. I should of said the browser that came with the OS.

db

Newly Enlightened
You can order the SP2 CD HERE

It might be worth considering imaging the clean OS install. I use Drive Image, but have read that the imaging program by the BootIT NG folks is good, and reasonably priced. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

The benefit of imaging is that is saves a snapshot of that partition, making it very easy to restore to a working install.
I have an image of the clean OS install with drivers, etc.
I also occasionally create an image so that I have a recent working image (all apps, etc. installed) to revert to if needed. I've had to revert to my working image on a couple of occasions.
VERY nice to be be able to do that, and not mess with having to perform a clean install.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
flashgreenie said:
shaman is more eloquent than I am... :)

Not in a million years have I and the word 'eloquent' ever been used in the same sentence :). Thanks (if only it were true)!

flashgreenie said:
Shaman, I don't quite understand you comments below about IPsec. IPsec is a way to encrypted/separate data traffic and it requires both party to use IPsec(i.e you and the other computer you are communicating to). It is normally not used unless you are are connecting to a VPN(i.e a company's internal network from outside).

You are correct, that is exactly what IPSEC is for. Prior to SP2 one could utilize the features of IPSEC policies (deny functionality) within XP and use it as a makeshift firewall. I provided a link below. I had another link but I can't seem to recall it at the moment. Anyways, it is a tweak if you will. Just another layer of security for those who practice defense in depth, or another way to lock the box down. Be careful though for those who wish to venture into the IPSEC policies, one wrong choice and the PC won't communicate... period.

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm

Sincerely,

Shaman

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Sunspot don't forget that Windows doesn't necessarily have all the drivers you need, and the Dell-provided CD with the drivers usually has incredibly out-of-date junk, so add to your list of installs...

- Go to Dell's support site, look at the 3rd column over,
- enter your service tag number (the one that's like 7 alphanumerics long, not the number-only phone-compatible-equivalent named the "express service code"),
- leave the other drop-down as "Drivers & Downloads",
- Click Go

You'll be taken to the page with all video drivers, modem drivers, etc.
The problem with their support pages is their too generic and provide too many drivers that don't apply to your machine. You need to know what hardware you have so you can select the right thing in each category.

There's still a little more to it than this because often the MS-provided drivers are more recent than these, whereas things like the sound-card or CD/DVD drivers might be better to use the Dell's. You kinda sorta gotta use your instinct a bit here, y'know? :)

flashgreenie

Enlightened
thanks for the page, shaman. Interesting...
I personally never use the windows firewall and security crap. Don't trust microsoft and it interferes with my BF2 game speed... :whistle: . I have a separate box running a linux firewall after my broadband router for my security needs.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The built-in driver for optical drives is generally better than any others you are likely to encounter. Laptops are strange beasts though, so yours might be an exception.

In general I find the less drivers I install, the better my machine runs. If there is a built-in MS driver that makes it work, I go with it.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a firewall provided by my ISP (Bellsouth.net) but I don't trust them worth a hoot. I'll most likely load Zonealarm (free version).
Thanks for the tip on the Dell drivers. I didn't pull any drivers from the recovery disk. :sold: