Vital Stream?...Stream Gear?...Vital Light?...what should I call it?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I like Vital Stream! Here's my Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1 Type-FH. What is it?...it's a Streamlight Scorpion LED head on a Vital Gear FB1 body. The "FH" is for "Fat Head" as you can see in the pics, the head is quite large relative to the teeny, tiny FB1 body.

Why?...Well, while I like the SF E1L, it don't like the spot beam as I prefer to have a tight spot that has good throw while having spill light to see what's around me for close to medium distance work/navigation. I recently saw the modifications people have been doing to the E1L and E1e heads replacing the optic with a McR20, but I figure, I already have a Scorpion LED and love the beam of it. The end result is a freakish looking big Fat Head on a small FB1 body. According to FLR, the Scorpion LED outthrows the KL1 43.21 vs. 36.74. The TL-2 Gen2 LED which uses the same LED, driver, and reflector measured 44.72 in throw! So, now I've got a small, single cell light that outthrows a KL1 while providing very useful spill light! I love this little, fat-headed bugger! The black HA3 (I wanted HA Nat, but I know it wouldn't match) of the FB1 matches very well with the black TypeII ano of the Scorpion head. BTW, SL's TypeII ano seems very durable.

I have plans to make a new LED module that will uses a brighter LED with a 1A buck/boost driver so I can run it off a primary if I want to and have an even brighter and farther throwing light. I'm currently looking around for someone to machine me a canister to hold the Lux and driver. I'm looking to use dat2zip's Wiz2 1A driver, but I need more info on it (not much on his site). Either that, or I'll make my own if I can figure out how to layout a board with Eagle (I suck at it!).
I'm also working on a Turbo Head design that will use a Mag 2" reflector, but that one's a bit tougher and I'd still need someone to machine it for me.

REQUEST - for those who have SF, SL, Pentagon, and Pelican (any combo of), can you please check what tubes, tailcaps, and heads fit what? Seeing as SL and SF E-series are compatible, maybe there are others!

Some notes on fitment:

1. The threads match up perfectly. Unfortunately, the FB1 body is slightly short and the spring is slightly short to both make contact for GND and to bring the battery up far enough to make contact for PWR.

2. If the O-ring is removed, the FB1 body can be screwed in far enough to make contact for GND. However, the battery will still not reach the positive contact on the driver.

3. I wanted to leave the O-ring in place so keep the water-proofness. So, I added a small ring made of 22ga or 24ga (don't remember) wire to the bottom of the LED module where the GND connection is made, so now it makes perfect contact with the O-ring in place.

4. I added 1x small magnet (about 8mm x 1mm I think) to the bottom of my Li-Ion R123A to bring up the cell to make PWR contact. The magnet is at the bottom, so no worries about shorting out the cell or the magnetic field interfering with the driver electronics.

Ok, pics...

Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1 Type-FH
img07865ht.jpg

Size comparo with Q3 and Gerber IU
img07873qr.jpg

With flash to show pretty colors
img07891qr.jpg

Solid tailstand capability, nice!
img07907vd.jpg

Yes, it's a big, Fat Head
img07912wt.jpg

Tail shot
img07920dq.jpg

Beam shot - nice tight hotspot for throw. Can't see spill much, but trust me, it's very usable.
img07944ii.jpg

-2 on my camera...I have no idea what the units are...
img07955pj.jpg

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta love flashlight lego. Kinda neat looking. Nice thinking.

PS: You really need to dust that night stand and clock/radio ;)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
George - did you get my PM about the custom canister and head?

DUQ - haha, yeah, my place is quite dusty. You should see the spiderwebs on my ceiling!

BTW, a fellow CPFer helped me test the thread compatibility and fitment with his Scorpion xenon and FB1 body...I lost the PM tho and forgot his screenname, but if he sees this, thanks! and please post.

Last edited: