Suggestions for Moon Beam Lights???

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple of Moon Beam lights today for a great price. What do you use blue beamed LED's for? Is there an everyday purpose?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue lights are often used by theatre techies back stage and in other technical spaces like sound and light booths.

Blue light is much easier to mask from the audience than white light and it is easier to work with than red light.

If the blue is as far down the visible spectrum as far as Royal Blue is (~455nm wavelength) it will be getting close enough to NUV that some things will floresce under it.

The utility of monochromatic lights is highly subjective with some swearing by them and others who swear at them. Some users just don't like them and never get used to them. I also believe that practice may make monochromatic lights more useful for many users, but that's true of white light, too.

I used blue lights for years (and years) in technical theatre and my skills with them improved a great deal in that time.

On the other hand -- they are not for everyone.

Last edited:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Ahha! I knew there was specific use for these lights. I'm trying to accustom myself to the beam and color, but it seems really bright and glarey (is that a word?).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue lights can be very bright for the size LED and the current used. Do you have a link for the light?

There is another thing that comes up with blue lights now and again. I'm not an optomitrist (and have never even played one on tv) but as I understand it, if you have normal vision there is something about the wavelengths of some of the blues that causes them to not be optimally in focus at the retina but either just in front of it or just behind it. I ran across this from time to time and never gave it any thought.

A while back there was a post by a guy who needs to use reading glasses and he noted that he could read with blue light without his glasses and he couldn't with white light. A few readers tried it and it also worked for them but not for everyone. (I can see print a little sharper with blue)

In a way it sort of makes sense that if blue doesn't work quite right for normal eyes, some who need glasses might see some improvement.

Who knew?

Last edited: