Is anyone affected by the hot, humid weather?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone affected by the hot, humid weather? my body temp risen considerablely in the shade. my lips are swollen that I have to take cold showers and drink copious amount of cold water to reduce swelling.

morituri

Newly Enlightened
Where I am, it's hot and humid all year around. Sometimes it's more hot, sometimes it's more humid. You're already taking the right steps (drink plenty of water, etc).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, when I went back home (Hawaii) for a visit, after stepping off the plane I noticed that my collar tightened up a bit. Or was it my neck "fattened" up some? :huh:

I prefer the weather here where I call home for the past 20 years in San Jose. Nice balance year round with no eXtremes.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, heat kills me. And it's not what most people would call heat, either. So bad I recently got a prescription for air conditioning. Won't change what I do in the slightest, but it allows me to write my ac off on my taxes. :rock:

Cheers. :buddies:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sucks for me is when we have weather like we have this year when all of a sudden you go from a lot of rainy weather with temps in 50s and 60s to all of a sudden hot and humid with temps in the 90s like today. I'm not at all acclimated to it so I'll stay inside.

Illum

Flashaholic
tell me about it, I've lived in Florida for 10 years, and it gets hotter every year...

It strikes me as unusual that I can't find a stinkin dehumidifier around here, the AC has one built in but its not doing too well, My room is a library on four walls, and it feels like someone just took a hot shower in here...

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Our hottest temperature I've recorded so far this year here in Iraq is 118.9 degrees...in the shade. I'm still waiting for summer to kick in though. When it gets that hot, you just try to stay inside somewhere with A/C. If you have to be outside, keep your sleeves down, wear a hat and keep hydrated. I think the general guideline is no more than three liters of water consumption a day. Anymore than that and I think it screws up your electrolytes. I've ridden around in a uparmored humvee here with no A/C and drank two 1.5 liter bottles of water and didn't have to pee at the end. I literally sweat it all out. How the locals can deal with it all the time is beyond me. Of course, they aren't wearing body armor, a helmet and carrying around a bunch of gear either.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I hate hot and humid weather also, but if you are swelling that much Picard, you might want to talk to your doctor about it and make sure there isn't some other cause that is just being aggravated by the heat. Swelling generally means you are retaining fluids. If you are sweating a lot that shouldn't be the case unless there are other factors. Do you eat a lot of salty foods? How much water do you drink, when you say copious?

dragoman

Enlightened
I just spent two weeks in Quezon Province in the Phillipines......talk about hot! It rains every day, but that just makes it more humid after the rain stops.

I'm still peeling.......(going home tonight though!)

Seriously, drink lots of water if you are sweating (Gatorade or something similar to replace electrolytes) and try to stay in the shade as much as possible. Don't exercise or do heavy activity in the heat if you can help it.

Stay cool....

dragoman

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Hot, humid weather has taken and continues to take a daily toll on me. It's also expensive running AC 9 months out of the year.

Hot, humid weather has also caused accelerated nail and hair growth (speeds up the aging process) but I can't get any sort of research grant to prove this. Just remember, the theory came from me.

Illum

Flashaholic
RadarGreg said:
Our hottest temperature I've recorded so far this year here in Iraq is 118.9 degrees...in the shade. I'm still waiting for summer to kick in though. When it gets that hot, you just try to stay inside somewhere with A/C. If you have to be outside, keep your sleeves down, wear a hat and keep hydrated. I think the general guideline is no more than three liters of water consumption a day. Anymore than that and I think it screws up your electrolytes. I've ridden around in a uparmored humvee here with no A/C and drank two 1.5 liter bottles of water and didn't have to pee at the end. I literally sweat it all out. How the locals can deal with it all the time is beyond me. Of course, they aren't wearing body armor, a helmet and carrying around a bunch of gear either.

Iraq's sorta desert like, its more of a dry heat than the sticky humid heat

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have very highly advanced heart disease and have to be pretty careful about the heat. One of the things we do to minimize heat problems is to only run our AC just low enough to keep the temp around 81-84DF. By using fans and keeping the temp as high as we do it greatly minimizes the shock we feel when we step outside. That's a big deal. That blast you feel when you walk outside may be dangerous physically but it also has the psychological effect of making you feel much hotter and miserable, too.

While I don't mean to imply anything like 'hot weather is all in your head,' there is definately a mental component. Where I really see it is with many who have lived here (New Orleans) all of their lives. They are often very irrational about the heat; they run their AC at the coldest levels possible and they just freak out when they have to go outside or when their AC environment is altered in any way. It is curious -- I'm in my mid 50s and have heart disease and I know natives much younger and in better health than I who don't do as well in the heat.

Mrs Umbra grew up in the desert and she does really well in the heat.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a hard time with hot weather. Minus 10's fine with me, at least you can budle up. But when it gets warm and humid I just lose engery. I don't like AC either--just makes it harder going from one room to another, or going outside.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the book "Key Aspects of Comfort" they talk alot about not so much heat or cold causing pain and discomfort, as temperature changes causing increased perception of pain.. discomfort would increase with just a change of a few degrees in either direction. Perception of discomfort was greatest as the change approached 10 degrees or more..

I experienced this myself yesterday with my broken (10 days ago) foot; in the evening when I expected the 80 degree day to cool off a bit, the temperature rose to 90 (Santa Ana condition) and whamo the ankle just throbbed with, ahhem, "discomfort"

(I feel the less you acknowledge pain, the less of a hold it can get on you..unfortunately this also causes the doctor to poke the tender spots harder to get a reaction from you...)

Arkayne

Enlightened
How house has marble floors so when temps climb, I lay a thin blanket on the floor so I can eat, watch tv, and use my laptop on the cool surface. All the hot air just goes to the 2nd floor.

Is it me or has the weather been getting progressively wacky over the past 10 years? It wasn't like this when I was a youngin'.... or I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Ah, I'm loving it at work though. My office houses our servers so I've a legit reason to have the thermostat as low as it can go. It's set in the 50's right now but the actual temp hovers in the 60's.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to get really sleepy and tired in hot humid weather but lately I've taken up cycling and running and have started eating more healthily. I have found that my improvement in fitness has also increased my tolerance to hot humid weather.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My jeans get up to 5 pounds heavier with sweat by 9am. Humidity SUCKS!

The key that lets me get through it is Lycra Bike shorts in place of standard underwear. I can feel every bit of the moisture. But when I get my jeans off I'm actually dry! No chafing either!

You might want to try it! What have you got to lose?

The other key is a cooler with Gatorade in the truck! That stuff gives me energy enough to go all day.