Photo Flash Bulbs?

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Just wondering if electronic photo flash bulbs can be powered continuously? Making them suitable for a homemade high output light. Would the bulb handle it?

From what I understand from reading about how they work, flash bulbs seem to be similar to Xenon Arc bulbs. I understand that flash bulbs usually have a trigger plate to ionize (I don't really know what it means) the gas, or to I guess to "ready" the gas (make it conductive). Then high voltage is passed through the bulb.

Is a trigger plate something that a Xenon Arc flash bulb use too (though I never heard this mentioned)? Or do these two bulbs work in very different ways? Would a trigger plate even be necessary if high enough voltage was applied and enough current flowed through?

Also are these bulbs more voltage dependent? (voltage matters more than current)

Are these bulbs also components with polarity? (requires DC current)

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
A true photo flashbulb is filled with magnesium or aluminum, and actually burns.

As for the Xenon filled tubes in an electronic flash, they have very limited heat dissipation capability. They will dump 30-40 joules in a millisecond, so you need to be able dissipate 30-40,000 watts in continuous operation. In otherwords the arc will vaporize the arc tube in short order.

RipplesOfLife said:
Hi there,

Just wondering if electronic photo flash bulbs can be powered continuously? Making them suitable for a homemade high output light. Would the bulb handle it?

From what I understand from reading about how they work, flash bulbs seem to be similar to Xenon Arc bulbs. I understand that flash bulbs usually have a trigger plate to ionize (I don't really know what it means) the gas, or to I guess to "ready" the gas (make it conductive). Then high voltage is passed through the bulb.

Is a trigger plate something that a Xenon Arc flash bulb use too (though I never heard this mentioned)? Or do these two bulbs work in very different ways? Would a trigger plate even be necessary if high enough voltage was applied and enough current flowed through?

Also are these bulbs more voltage dependent? (voltage matters more than current)

Are these bulbs also components with polarity? (requires DC current)

Simple answer:
No.

Latest posts