Do you always use your "best"?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own some of the "best" lights on the market, including the U2, FF3, HDS and the Stenlight S7. But, I find that those aren't usually my "go to" lights for some reason or another.

Currently I usually use the BD Spot when I need a (non-caving) headlamp. I also use the Fenix L1P a lot too.

Maybe I need to thin the heard a little. :ironic:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
..Maybe I need to thin the heard a little. :ironic:

I think you do. I looked at my light holdings about a year ago anything that hasn't been used in the prior six months, got sold. Do I miss them now? Heck no! I still go through periodic hoarding and thinning though. I guess that's what being a flashaholic is all about :shrug:

ianb

Enlightened
Yeah, its always good some new blood into your collection, I usually sell one and buy one, keeping a steady 7 or so lights.
If there are one or two you like but really aren't 'keepers' definately sell them on to get good use with someone else and have the $ to get a new one :D
Ian

WDR65

Enlightened
What I use varies a lot, but lately I've used my SL Propoly lux lights a lot more than anything else. I grab these lights a lot of times even if I have my EDC on me, just because I like their beams and runtimes. They have replaced my 4D Mags as my primary grab and go lights.

That said, any light I buy is going to be used and abused. My L1 and E2o have quite a bit of character at the moment and my new L2 is sure to end up looking the same way. I'm looking hard at the U2 and the Kroma and see one of those in the near future though I have a feeling I'll be a bit more careful with one of those........at least at first.

So in answer to the question Cave Dave posed, I don't necessarily use my best lights but I usually have them with me........just in case.

cy

Flashaholic
yep, my normal mode is to EDC my best lights.

Li14430/CR2 is always on my neck lanyard, then I rotate my pocket EDC. which is currently Blue ARC LSH-P Lumileds special.

lately Surefire M6/M6R has been riding in my backpack everyday.

Last two nights we had power failure due to storms in Tulsa. Blue ARC LS came out and did lighting duties like a champ!

Stenlight came out for headlamp duties, lighting up the night as I rolled out 5,700 watt Honda Genset.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do. I have a very modest but cool collection. I will even loan them out. I just tell the borrowers don't scratch the lens.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one shelf queen, the U60 xrgt is in my pocket every day, the A2 is on the bed table, and the others always go camping with me. :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
planning on selling longbow micra, because i dont use it very much. Maybe pm6 incand.

-David

pyro

Enlightened
Every light i own is the best for its own task,
and if its only on sitting a shelf, where some lights
do what they are intended for:
Looking good and impress with flawless fit and finish.

So yes, i use all of them,
but in different ways.

nc987

Enlightened
Well if you look at my collection, the only ones I use on a regular basis is the E2L, the 6P, and the KL3. The rest get occasional use but by no means are used regularly. I just keep them for times when im taking a group out at night or something for some reason. I have never thought of selling them

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think each light is different enough that it fills its own little nich. (and I don't mean in the display cabinet). For instance the FF3 is very small and bright, but the HDS is easier to use, better regulated, and works better on primaries. I prefer the HDS unless size really matters that particular day. In some cases I might prefer the U2 over the HDS or FF3, but it is quite a bit bigger and heavier, plus I don't have a rechargable solution for that one.

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
The L1 is always in the backpack/laptop bag as a backup, my other light is always in my right front pocket ready to be used.

I work on the basis of having only two single cell lights and sell off or give to family the ones I don't plan on keeping. I plan on keeping the L1 as a backup and will probably sell the Fenix if I order the McLuxIII PD as it will become my EDC.

No room for shelf-queens here. :)

Macaw

Enlightened
My most expensive is my Mclux III PD. I carry it every day. I love it!

roguesw

Enlightened
yes, and yes, and yes,
they all get rotated and used, however, i am careful on how i used it to avoid scracthes etc on lights that still looks pristine,
but once its dinged, then its used and abused
the first ding is teh hardest, thats why i try to be the one to ding it rather than it be an accident (e.g dropped)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's how the disease replicates itself. You buy a bunch, thin the herd, then the buyers of your lights start their own collection and after awhile do the same to somebody else.

It's a regular plague. :laughing:

mdocod

Flashaholic
i try to rotate my usage... for spotting addresses i usually have 3-5 lights in the car that I swap between depending on the situation, (long range, short range, trying to to blind a pedestrian, etc).. I don't get much real use out of my big spotlights- they are just toys for the most part- but the big smile they put on my face when I light them up is enough reason to keep them... I rotate many of my multi-led china lights around as bedside duty(the small ones).. Weird novelty items (like my 100LED china special) are just around for fun and tinkering- it's worth keeping because of the look on peoples faces when they see that thing...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't have anything REALLY high end except maybe my SNII.

My most used light by a long shot is my EDC Minim*g with a Lambda LUXIII pill.

MANY of my lights might only be used when the power goes out. Many of them will NEVER be loaned out. At this time NONE of them are going anywhere, except for MAYBE the afore mentioned SNII....