And you think you got a lemon?

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Sounds about par for the course. I will never buy another modern mercedes again, had nothing but problems with newer mercs and so has everyone else i know who has a post-daimlerchrysler designed car, and the dealers are arrogant arseholes. My 2001 45000 mile mercedes is much less reliable and dependable than my mothers 1987 E class with 250000 miles under its belt. Defineatly going back to Audi next time.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
L.A. TV did a story on the owner and the car.

He says that M-B has flown out from Germany twice and still cannot fix the oil pressure problem.

He wanted to re-sell it for $3-$4 Million but that dream has burst. He'll probably win his case for a lot less.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's more a PR nightmare for MB, surprised they let it come that far that the world's most expensive lemon is a mercedes. The damage done so far with a CNN story exceeds the value of the car.
Give it a couple more days and they will settle to have this off the media... and yes their quality has been less than stellar, the dealers are arrogant (personal experience). If you buy a lexus instead and you get better quality, or a BMW if you need something upscale European.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that the news article is only providing one side of the story. Perhaps the guy kept driving the car after the oil light came on? In that case there probably isn't a warranty adjuster alive that wouldn't honor a warranty regardless if the car is a $7,500 Geo or a $2.5M exotic. (And you can bet a $2.5M exotic has extensive datalogging and a tech that downloads the data can tell exactly how far and how hard the car was driven with the oil warning light on.)

Cars like that aren't really meant to be driven on the street anyway; the McLaren F1 (does that have a Mercedes engine?) needs to be doing fairly high speeds in order for enough air to flow through the radiator to keep engine temps under control.

I guess there are valid reasons why Dodge won't sell a Viper Competition Coupe to anyone except a credentialed race team.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
If the owner hadn't been such a tight wad and gotten the $1,000,000/1 year extended warranty, he wouldn't be in this situation.

I bet he skimped on the $50,000 undercoating also. Some people will never learn.

:crackup::crackup::crackup: