I need to find a LARGE

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to find a LARGE diameter hex nut mabey 10" in diameter, it is for a gift/gag/paperweight, i am going to have it chrome plated, does anybody know where i could buy 1 of such an item, i know they exist, also many years ago when i was in the statue of liberty, the had these massive rods coming from the body to the base and thus secured with many large hex nuts, even some thing like that would be cool, they had to be 5 pounds each in weight.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried mcmaster.com?

Link doesn't work, but they have a 6" one for $125...Expensive though...

Wonder if there are any oilfield surplus places you could pick one up cheaply...

JM-99

Last edited:

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
100 years ago in the oil field we used ones about 4" and they had to weigh 5 pounds or more.

How about a company that uses "red-iron" for commercial buildings. Maybe look under commercial construction in the phone book.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Your Public Utility District may have some old ones from their big metal power poles that they will give you from their scrap yard. You'd probably have to have it sand blasted before plating, though.

Bill

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like Jumpmaster said regarding McMaster-Carr or maybe even Grainger. There's also BoltDepot and JamestownDistributors.

Enjoy!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
nearest place to me that has those is 'Cummins Cal Pacific' -- they repair engines and generators, some for the Navy; those Navy engines have some BIG nuts on 'em. The hardware store in town even has 6 and 8 foot long "hand" wrenches (!) to turn them with -- but it take a few people to hold one! isn't that odd? you'd tink they'd have a machine to take those giant nuts off and on..

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedTheLed said:
The hardware store in town even has 6 and 8 foot long "hand" wrenches (!) to turn them with -- but it take a few people to hold one! isn't that odd? you'd tink they'd have a machine to take those giant nuts off and on..

There is, it is called a torque multiplier. They come in manual, hydraulic, and pneumatic, they are rather pricey though.

handtorqe.gif