Fun, Dual Purpose LED Conversion

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, so that`sthe Big Lots light I keep hearing about. I have one of those, but in a silver body and sold under the Johnlite brand.

Main beam is bright and medium-narrow, pretty poor shape, the bulb holder needs some fiddling with so it`ll sit more straight- then it`ll be fine. The low beam is horrendous. Just a thin circle of light, hardly any useful peripheral glow and a big black hole in the centre! Crying out for something to be done to it-John, looks like you have the answer! Nice work, sir.

grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet that 6 LED blub is made out of those little 3mm white 2000s that john listed for sale a week or so ago..... Might be fun to play with one or two of those. What kind of voltage do they need?

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the main beam is one of those "light up a hillside at 1/2 mile types" don't try to use it for anything at close range. That's part of why I did the LED mod to the small light.

Actually the 6 LED is made with the CREE chip 5,600s that I got directly from China. They don't keep up with the 6,400 Nichia's that I have, but the price was right. They also offer a more defined pattern with no blue halo. Really fairly nice LEDs...after I color match them.

I can make all of the 6 LED bulbs you want, but they don't fit through the reflector hole. I built this one with the reflector "in the middle". I may take it apart and put in 14 or so LEDs eventually. That 6 volt Gel Cell will run them forever!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
John:

If I sent you a 3-piece PT40 reflector assembly (including reflector, spring and reflector receiver) how many Nichia 6400's could you build into it and what would you charge?

I would want the same tuning for 40 mA at 4.5 V and 48 mA at 4.8 V as for the three 4-LED assemblies you've built for me thus far.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux I like the way you think! I was just trying to think what mine needed, and 8-10 leds would do the trick!!!!

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
I know we're all excited about the LS3, But if I want a light with the same power requirements as my EV Warrior electric bike, at least it shouldn't cost as much!

Here is an inexpensive, Dual Purpose light...I bought the 2,000,000 candlepower rechargeable from Big Lots (Formerly Pic N Sav) for $16. Then I put in a quick 6 LED array in place of the stock Argon, filament bulb. Not waterproof, but always cool enough to hang onto. And if the Halogen blows, the 6 LED will still work!

The Gel Cell is 6 volt, so a Luxeon would be another good candidate for the little light. I didn't want to "waste" one, so it just got 6 LEDs.

The handle folds up and the little light is "aimable". All in All, a very useful light.

2Mhalo.jpg

2Mhalo3.jpg

2Mhalo2.jpg