Ultrastinger 5w LS conversion?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

After reading about Wayne Yamaguchi's "Terra Destroyer" (a 5w ls in an M2 body) I got to thinking... and what I was thinking was the word "WOW!" over and over again. After I got over the shock, I got an idea! But alas, I am about as technically savvy as a drunken neanderthal.
frown.gif

So I pose this question to you gentlemen; can a 5 watt (preferably white) Luxeon be stripped of it's optics, and reflector, and (in combination with a step-down regulator thingie) be succesfully transplanted into a Streamlight Ultrastinger? I love this flashlight dearly, but the life of the bulb is downright disturbing (10 hours? bah!). The addition of a 5 watt LS bare emitter would solve this problem, but I wonder what would happen to beam quality/shape/throw. I'm pretty sure runtime would approximately double, especially with some 3000mah Sub C's in there. It would be exciting to find out!!

So chime in, mod warriors! Help this bumbling troglodyte out!! Please...

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we need here is a good current mode down converter or an efficient Sepic converter.

I've got one in the plans but it will probably not be for a flashlight application.

The good news is there are many good ICs (switchers) that step down and provide constant current. They are targeted for battery charging application but are ideal for making an LED driver.

How many batteries are in this streamlight Ultrastinger?

WayneY

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It uses a stick of 5 Sub-Cs. I also took a good look at it last night, and the head of the light looks like it has room to accomodate the converter and the bare emitter, but heat could be an issue... is this thing really going to put out that much more heat than a 10 watt halogen bulb?

Amazing job on that Centurion, BTW
smile.gif

Latest posts