Behemoth

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Not a Sure Fire companion to the Beast or Hellfire.

I'm shopping for a spotlight. I've narrowed my choices down to a Brinkmann or Koehler-Bright Star/LSI.

Then I find this. 7lbs.
shocked.gif
I'll start working out now.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:

Then I find this. 7lbs.
shocked.gif
I'll start working out now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting that they don't give halogen runtime(s).

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Interesting that they don't give halogen runtime(s).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brightnorm that's a good observation.
DavidW my recommendations for looking for a QUALITY spotlight is to look for burntime and not so much output and construction. WHy? becuase they all output pretty much the same visible light and they are all consdtructed from very tough, industrial grade plastics.

First off, with the experience i have had with my own Koehler-Bright Star/LSI 1 million CP spotlight, The damn thing is tough! I've dropped it a couple of times without cracking its lens or housing. THe ONLY problem i have had is its cheasy trigger switch - the protector broke off. (you know, like a gun has, that bridge it has connecting from the gun to the handle?)

Anyway, the reason i say to look for battery life is becuase it is THE most important part in a portable spotlight, IMHO. Think about it, how really useful is 15-25 minutes of 2-3 million CP? But how much more useful is 45minutes of 1 million CP? Especially when the differences between 1 million to 2 million CP isn't that great? Really it isn't.

If your go to Koehler-Bright Star/LSI website. And look at the runtimes of their various rechargeable spotlights, you will find the 1million CP spotlight, the one i have, THE MOST ECONIMICAL. A step above that is the 2 million CP spotlight and it only lasts 15-20mins - so does the 1.5million CP. AMzingly, if you step down to the 500,000 candlepower spotlight, IT only gets 20-25 minutes of light. THe one i have puts out light for a total of 40-50 minutes (true to my own observations), and very good bright light for 20-30 mins.

The other thing to look at is the options that are available. LSI has a whole slew of of options from covert filters, colored filters, external battery packs, and extra cords. If i were you I would stick to either LSI (or Brinkmann). Why? because they are the only seriously made lights that actually have a history. THe other lights are barnds i've never heard of. No real warrenty probably.

If you want a long lasting light go for the LSI. I've had mine now for over 2 years. It has seen A LOT of use, A LOT of abuse, and A LOT of charges. And i never had to replace the bulb OR battery yet. And the good thing is - if any of those two important things crap out - i know LSI is a real company and i can order spare parts from them directly. (i know i've asked them)

...i might add later but i'm tired. whew
grin.gif

P.S. when I hear you forum members talk amongst yourselves for the search of the most lumens (or candlepower) per hour/money, type of torch. I can't help but wonder why most of you won't invest in a spotlight. At it's intensity (55+ watts), i don't think beam patter really matters in my own experiences. And the size? Just attach a sholder strap and sling it on your back and it's out of your way. You know have a SERIOUSLY bright flashlight! Just ask my friends when we go camping!
grin.gif

Kenshiro

Enlightened
DavidW,
That light is the "Mega Sport Spot", manufactured by Vector. If you go to Target, you can get the same light for $44.95. I used to have one.
It uses two xenon-filled, 12V, 100W, "white" halogen H3 automotive bulbs. The light color is fairly white, compared to the yellowish "normal" halogens. There is also a "utility light" on the handle which is a 5W halogen (the type you find in map lights or other over-head console lights). you have 3 options when it comes to run time with the battery. The battery is actually two 6V, 6Ah batteries running in series. I haven't really done a test, but the manufactuer says 20 min with both bulbs on, 40 min with one bulb, or up to 15 hours with the utility light.
100W/12V = 8.33A,
So, 6Ah/8.33A = 0.72h, which is ~43.2min. I guess it's roughly right.
Of course you can also just plug it into your 12V car plug and have infinite(?) run time. You can also use the battery of the light to run other things at 12V. There's a 12V plug on the handle to do this. It's quite a useful light. The unit is heavy, but they also give you a shoulder strap.
The beam quality is nothing to special, but when you turn both lights on, it is very, very bright. The unit is "weather proof". I've also used the "Extreme White H3" bulb made by PIAA, And though these are only 55W, they are silghtly brighter and noticeable whiter than the bulbs that come with the Mega. And because they are 55W, you would get almost double the run time. The dowside? The PIAA bulbs are $27 a piece, where as the Vector bulbs are $13.99 from vector.
Anyway, feel free to ask me any questions you might have about it.
I have also tried their "Extreme Sport Spot" (2M CP), and their "Compact Sport Spot" (1/2M CP).

Hope this helped.

Squid

Newly Enlightened
kenshiro,

I did see that same light at Target the other day. Actually thought (still thinking) about picking one up "just for fun".

You mentioned that you "used to have one". Why did you get rid of it? Just wondering...

bkral

Newly Enlightened
Gee, I think that something like 15-20 lumens/watt is in the ballpark for a good halogen lamp. So 200 Watts should give 3-4000 lumens. For about 50 bucks.

And the Beast/Hellfire is gonna cost HOW much?????

I suppose that sometimes technology is not a realistic substitute for brute force.

By the way, if you can get by with less power, the Streamlight litebox seems to be much better made than most of the 55-100W halogen spotlights, and has significantly greater runtime.

-BCK

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Squid,
The reason is simple. It was too big.
I ended up getting the 2M CP (Extreme Sport Spot, not the Super Sport Spot) version instead. It's not as bright, but I think was overall "better rounded", if you will.
But after a while, I bought the "Compact Sport Spot (500,000CP)". I liked the much smaller form factor. It's a great little(?) light. but, as you know, we flashoholics are never satisfied, and we not only want the brightest, but also the smallest light as well.
(think SF 6P or E2e, etc. with variable light output of 10Lu ~ 2000Lu -- alas, this light is still many years away.....)
So I decided to modify my CSS. Using the PIAA bulb I mentioned above, I changed the battery from a 6V SLA to a 12V NiCad of the same form factor. There were some difficulties, but the mod was a success. And the output was close to the ESS (a tiny bit dimmer, but whiter!).
When I used the PIAA bulb in the ESS, it was even brighter (probably due to the larger battery capacity 1.8Ah vs 3Ah).
Anyway, I liked the mod so much, that i kept my modified CSS and gave the ESS away.
I sometimes miss it, though.
And I definitely sometimes miss the Mega Sport Spot, just because it was such a brute of a light.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these Vector Mega lights and wouldn't part with them. They go on sale periodically at Target (about $5 off regular price). I like the very white light it puts out, and because "versatility" is important to me, having the option of using one bulb with a longer run time is great (not to mention the area light).

The only (minor) downside of these lights, is the sheer size and weight.

P.S. to kenshiro: What are "Extreme White" PIAA bulbs, and where are they available?

Kenshiro

Enlightened
The PIAA bulbs are readily available at any PIAA dealer. They are one of the premier companies that make lights for cars. You have OSRAM and PHILIPS in Europe, PIAA is Japanese. However, some dealers "choose" their own inventory. I checked out two and only one of them had them.
The one that had them was a dealer who mainly stocked items for products for "street car upgrades". The dealer that did not have them mainly stocked performance parts for 4x4's.
Check out PIAA's web site, they have a dealer locator. http://www.piaa.com/

Remember, it's the "Extreme White" that you want. They have a model called the "Super Plasma", but that bulb actually gives out a "blue" light, rather than white.
Another alternative is to go to your local automotive store (Pep boys, etc.) and check out their "off road use only" lights. they are in a different section than the normal light bulbs. I don't know how good they are (they were made by a different manufactuer), but they do say the color is 4200K (which is close to the Extreme White). It was $19.95.

Spidey82

Enlightened
should be very bright.
but my sportlight with one SLA batt is a little heavy, this is going to break my neck/hand with this.
Linfeng

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Brocken,
The web site to Vector is http://www.vectormfg.com/
You don't know the trouble I went through to get the info. It's not even on their products!
Anyway, they don't sell any new products on their web site, but they do sell refurbished products.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Automotive H3 bulbs? So... theoretically I could get a starter, ballast and HID bulb kit and install it? And have a dual bulb HID spotlight?! How much would that weigh?

Velcro

Enlightened
David, don't rule out spotlights from Optronics. They have some neat features such as a 1-hour charger on all 12-volt models, 100 watt Xenon lamps in all 2 million CP models, dual power option (battery or 12V receptacle with light cord included), trigger lock and 3-year warranty. Click on the upper-left link to see more of the features. Also check out
this thread for more info on the Optronics 2 million CP model from BuddTX.

Greetings,
Velcro

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenshiro:

Thanks for the info on those PIAA bulbs. Checked out the website, and will definitely have to follow-up and pick up a couple of those "Xtreme White" bulbs.

flashfan

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Flashfan, you're quite welcome. You might also want to check out the "Silver Star" by Osram/Sylvania. The links are at the bottom.

DavidW, the "HID" is actually a misnomer. You know how a lot of people misuse the terms "HID" and "xenon", etc. One very common example is the inter-use of the terms "HID" and "xenon" as being the same thing. The fact is we can have a xenon bulb that is not HID at all. But the xenon bulbs still tend to be "whiter" than comparable kryptons or halogens. After all, we know that there are many types of HID (xenon short arc, metal halide, mercury short arc, etc.), but still.....

Anyway, the bulbs in the vector spot lights are NOT HID. The Ultra Sport Spot, Extreme Sport Spot and Mega Sport Spot, however, do use a "xenon" bulb that makes it "whiter" and thus makes it look like a HID. This is the bulb that vector sells for $13.99. They call it the "100W 12V HID ultra blue". But, you know.....
The normal 100W bulb that they sell is $9.99.

These bulbs are just like those products you see at automotive stores, such as the "Blue Vision" by Philips, "Super White" by PIAA or the "Cool Blue" by Osram/Sylvania. These are all products that are "xenon-filled" halogen upgrades for your auto headlights.

The PIAA "Extreme White", "Super Plasma", and the "Silver Star" by Osram/Sylvania offer even higher performance. They are currently the highest performance "halogen upgrades" you can get. All of them offer color temp. of 4200K or higher.

Check out their web sites for more info.
http://www.piaa.com/
http://www.sylvania.com/

Anyway, don't let the misnomers confuse you.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
The Ultra Sport Spot says it uses HID. Hmmm...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you read that part closely it actually says this:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>New technology high-intensity, ultra-white, H.I.D. Yype 100 Watt Halogen Bulb<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

notice the typo and how it says Yype? I'm sure it was suppose to say Type...but look at your keyboard and look where the Y is. Very close to T and ALSO close to H. So It's a possibility that they meant HYPE,
grin.gif
wink.gif

Anyway...the description is very confusing beacuse it says it uses HID technology but uses a 100w HALOGEN bulb! first of i don't thing you can fit a 100w HID bulb and ballast unit in that, and i don't think you can buy 100w HID bulb for even 30 dollars when a 10w HID bulb from UnderwaterKinetics costs 80 dollars alone.

Anyway...just expect uner 30 minutes of runtime from that 100w baby. I have a 55w LSI spotlight and i get 45-50 minutes of light on that.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the 2 million CP rechargeables, and one of the 500,000 models as well. I got them because they were cheap. The beam quality isn't bad, but the quality of the lights themselves is pretty bad. The back of the reflector on mine came slightly rusty, and the battery door broke when I dropped it from less than 1 foot. The smaller one (500K) I had to take apart to adjust the switch since it would sometimes not turn or stay on. When they say "HID type" (as listed in the manual), they really mean that the lamp has a blue tint to it, making it appear more like a HID lamp. They use sealed lead acid batteries, and are very large and heavy. The 2 million CP from LSI is a much better light, but is about 2X the price of the Vector 2 million CP. They are ok, if you want a very bright light, for a small amount of money and don't intend it for hard use (abuse?). And obviously don't believe the manual when it says that you have to use their bulbs. Just about any H-3 halogen will work. Those PIA lamps sound pretty good.
Actually I've been looking at one of those 3M CP lights myself, but my wife gave me that look when I reached for it in Target.