WHAT THE ....? Condensation under the lens of my L5.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, what now? I'm having terrible luck with all my flashlights this week. First I destroyed my KL1 head trying to mod it, gotta order another one. Then I swapped the stock emitter on my G&P 3W drop in with TXOH and there is just about NO difference in tint as well as the reflector is all smeared up and my attempts to clean it have wiped the silver finish right off. So I turned to my beautiful L5. At least I have one flashlight that doesn't have a problem, right? WRONG.
Theres' this huge spot of condensation on the underside of the lens! WTF? We just turned the AC on this week and I just noticed it today. Don't know how long its been there. I guess there was some humid air in the chamber that condensed on the glass when it hit the cold AC air. I thought these things were sealed? I guess heat would evaporate it, but it will come back won't it? Any way to get rid of it? I'm bummed.

NAW

Enlightened
I got a U2 and 6p and I have the AC on everyday. I never noticed any condensation like the one you say you got. I remember once leaving my U2 in a hot room and then placed it right in front of the AC. Maybe it will go away?

spoonrobot

Enlightened
That happened to my 2 sealed lights (Pentagonlight L3, L2) during the winter-time after heavy use in steam tunnels at work during the day(@100F + high humidity) and then exposure to winter temps in the high 20s. It went away a few weeks after I had finished working in the tunnels. It happens if my lights get submerged in hot water too. I dumped my L3 on the dishwasher last week after it was all greased up and after he washed it in 140F water the lens was clouded up again, this has also gone away.

Is the entire head sealed? With the Pentagonlights you can take the head off and let it air out because the actual head has no seal at the bottom when removed.

JanCPF

Enlightened
KDOG3,

The KL5 is not sealed (at least mine isn't) between the back side of the reflector and the front side of the reflector. Therefor humid air could easily traverse from the battery tube to the front glass. I know this because I can take of the bezel ring and front glass on mine, and blow right trough the KL5. The assembled L5 flashlight is waterproof of course, but not sealed between the frontglass and battery tube AFAIK. In winter time in cold weather I get a small spot of condesation on the glass, after about 40 min. runtime. It doesn't however affect the beam, but yeah it used to bug me a bit.

You could try placing your KL5 on the heater or in the sun to get rid of the water vapor.

Jan

roguesw

Enlightened
KDOG, did you anger the flashoholic gods? what did you do?
to try to fix this problem, try to take the bezel and place under the hot sun
or if there is too much humidity where you live, i suggest bake in the over
the lowest setting for a few minutes
hope this helps