G2 vs 6P

Illum

Flashaholic
Considering the batteries used and the lamp assembly's are the same, theretically they both should have the same runtime and output.

according to flashlightreviews
G2: output: 3534 at beam center [Textured reflector] $36
6P: output: 4000 at beam center [Stochastic reflector] $56

What makes the difference of 500????

I thought polymers are more expensive than aluminum...because of their manufacturing process, but I guess "Surefire-grade" aluminum are 420 more expensive than the "Surefire-grade" Polymer....

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "reflectors" in the G2 and 6P are the same as they use the same lamp assembly (P60), and the reflector is integral to the LA.

The only other difference is the G2 has a Lexan window versus the Pyrex window on the 6P. This should make no real difference in the output. Maybe 8 or 10% max.

The recorded differences you stated are either test error or variation in lamp assemblies.

Except for body material, the G2 and 6P are the same and their performance should be virtually identical.

Mark

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Bought my brother a 6p for his birthday last year, i have a g2. Recently after playing with both of them at his house (we put in new batteries out of the same box) they're was a slight difference in brightness. At anything less than 50 ft., you couldn't tell a difference.... but after that on long range throws you could tell the 6p had just a little more output... nothing huge but more. Given they botht have (65) the same lumen output, and the same bulb (p60) bulb, and the same set of batteries (surefires), i can say i think the difference is in the lens. I would have never guessed that's what it was until i joined this sight, but after some experience and knowing the differences in the lights.. all signs point to the difference as being the differenct lenses.

NAW

Enlightened
I think it was a bad lamp assemblie. Not all lamps are created equal.:)

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the difference is the lamp assemblies. I have some that just seem to be brighter than others.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you think there is variation from one LED to the next do you think there is variation from one bulb to the next?

Other than the performance attributes of Nitrolon compared to type II anodised aluminium alloy the only difference (advantage) the G2 has over the 6P is it's Lexan window - it won't break.

For all practical applications I would always choose a G2 over a 6P.

Al

Illum

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies!

ic, Given that lamp making process cannot be done in high tolerance rates and therefore cannot be identical from one bulb to another in output.

so its 65 lumens +/- what? 5%? 10%

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Now that the G2 has a LOTC I'll be looking at getting an OD Green or Desert one (for the collection ;) ), but before the G2 gained a LOTC the choice for me was between the 6p and the G2z.

Even now I'd get a G2z over the G2 or the 6p. The main reason I would choose the G2z over the G2 would be the pyrex lens, and I personally like the combat grip on the G2z.

I've also experienced inconsistencies across p60 and p61 lamps, partially because of variation between bulbs. Another source of difference could be because of varying amounts of charge left in the batteries (i.e. a light that had already been run for 20 minutes on a set of batteries would not be as bright as one with newer batteries).

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 65 lumen rating is not a maximum or peak output rating. It is a rating more of the typical output over the course of the runtime.

At a guess I would say that the 65 lumen rating is about 20-30% less than the peak output.
At a guess I would say that the output of a P60 lamp driven by two SF123A batteries varies 5-15%.
I've not seen any studies that validate my guess-work though.

Al

mdocod

Flashaholic
another possability- the 6P (maybe) uses it's entire body as a path for electrons... perhaps the G2 has higher resistance between the tailcap and the LA...(more guesswork)

NAW

Enlightened
Flash_Gordon said:
The only other difference is the G2 has a Lexan window versus the Pyrex window on the 6P. This should make no real difference in the output. Maybe 8 or 10% max.
Mark

Someone should test a regular 6p and a g2. Then remove the lens for both and test it again to see any difference in output.