Comments on Gerber TX 3.0 and Fenix L2T

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Not knowing too much about LED lights, I found a Gerber TX 3.0 on sale for $32, looking for a bright, tough LED that I could use on Coast Guard boardings, that would serve as both a semi-tactical type light and an all around. I did a quick internet check and found a favorable review on FR and purchased the light. It worked well, but I found it was too bright for paperwork at night-- it will blind you. Plus, it is too long and heavy to use comfortably in conjunction with a pistol and after further "education" I see that non-regulated means a light level you can't really predict without changing batteries a lot. And, it can't take lithiums.

So, after extensive research I got a Fenix L2T. It is smaller, almost as bright as the Gerber on high, can take AA lithiums, and best of all is the reduced setting. It is still pretty bright but doesn't blind me when reading documents at night and the batteries will last a long time. I love the beam color and shape on this light. It has been tough and while the reverse clicky is not "tacticool," it does the job ok and holds well with a weapon. Now I can keep this one for home and order one through work.

I still like the Gerber, but the Fenix lights can meet multiple needs in a tiny package while I'm not really sure what to use the Gerber for. It starts as a bright light, but then just fades into a reading light so there's no real niche for it.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Really enjoying these high performance LED lights. Appreciate CPF and FR, great resources. I don't think I'll ever buy another incandescent, even my dive lights are LED now.

Take care.

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on the gerber as i have no experience but i have the L2T and find it very good appart from the tint on mine was slightly green but i changed the LED for a UXOJ and now i cannot fault the light in anyway.

I have owned incandescent but i don't use them as i find LED lights superior in all aspects except for shear throwing power. LED's all the way for me but incandescent still has a place for some people.

Dutchman

Newly Enlightened
LEELEEFOCUS,

How did you get the LED from the head. I found indeed the two notches on the inside, but to afraid to put much pressure on them. When you loosen the notches can you then change the throw or spill from the L2T.

THX

Kees

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
mbirds,

Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Glad to hear of your experience with the two lights, and I might suggest you do the famous tailcap mod to your Fenix L2T. A 1/4 watt, 15 ohm (or 10 ohm-or whatever value you prefer) bridged across the switch will give you three distinct levels of brightness.

For the convenience of having a three stage light, you lose the convenience of the on/off switch. Your light will now become a "twisty". This means to turn it on/off, you will have to loosen or tighten the tailcap 1/4-1/2 turn.

Tighten the tailcap, and you get level one (determined by the value of the resistor you chose), push the switch and you go to level two (approximately one watt). Twist the bezel in the normal way to the high position, and you get level three (approximately 3 watts). Keep in mind, with the switch in the low position, the high/low function of the bezel does not work.

There has been much discussion on this board about how to perform the transformation on the L1P & L2P switches, so do a search and you'll find illustrated how to's. If you're not a DIYer, then purchase a modified tailcap/switch assembly from 4Sevens here:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_27&products_id=69

Good luck with your new hobby, and prepare to become addicted! Once again, welcome to CPF!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightningbug said:
Glad to hear of your experience with the two lights, and I might suggest you do the famous tailcap mod to your Fenix L2T. A 1/4 watt, 15 ohm (or 10 ohm-or whatever value you prefer) bridged across the switch will give you three distinct levels of brightness.

Have you actually tried this? I thought somebody tried it and it didn't work.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
mbirds said:
Not knowing too much about LED lights, I found a Gerber TX 3.0 on sale for $32, looking for a bright, tough LED that I could use on Coast Guard boardings, that would serve as both a semi-tactical type light and an all around.

I have a neighbor that is in the US Coast Guard. We have talked about Flashlights many times.

I am no expert, but I THINK you need to use a flashlight that has safety ratings.

Streamlight just introduced a new version of the ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon flashlight that has:
- safety rating UL Listed Class I Div 1 Groups C & D, Class II, Div 1 Groups F & G

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
You are correct that for some purposes due to explosive hazards an intrinsically safe light is required, but that is not always the case.

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. It looks like the Gerber may be ideal for NIMH, with a more flat discharge making up for the lack of regulation. Just have to remember to charge em every couple of months if they're sitting.

PS, Lightningbug thanks for the welcome... the addiction has begun. First the UK C8 eLed, then the Gerber, then the L2T, and lastly a Q40 eLED Plus for a backup dive light/home utility. Wish I used lights on a daily basis enough to make it less bizarre... maybe we'll get a typhoon and the power will be out for 2 months like a couple of years ago... :eek:oo:

Last edited:

Latest posts