New Version of Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy has 2 versions of the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon listed, the current version, available now, and a new version:

"ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON, Yellow Body, safety rated Class I Div 1 - available July, 2006"

It looks like the only visible difference is the safety ratings.

Anyone have any more info? Brighter is always better? Maybe longer run time?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new one has a K2 emitter in it

Misc. Lights: SF L2, TW4, SF E(1/2)(E/L), ETC.

just kidding :nana:

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
the new one has a K2 emitter in it

Misc. Lights: SF L2, TW4, SF E(1/2)(E/L), ETC.

just kidding :nana:

That's not funny!!!:)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like that on Streamlight's site as well. They indicate that there are two versions, both of which are currently shipping. I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than changes in the construction to qualify it for Class 1 Div 1.

BuddTX said:
Brightguy has 2 versions of the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon listed, the current version, available now, and a new version:

"ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON, Yellow Body, safety rated Class I Div 1 - available July, 2006"

It looks like the only visible difference is the safety ratings.

Anyone have any more info? Brighter is always better? Maybe longer run time?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Class I Equipment
Equipment for use in Class I hazardous locations, as defined in the NEC (National
Electrical Code), is tested with respect to acceptability of operation in the presence of
flammable and explosive mixtures of specific vapors and gases with air. For purposes of
area classification for Divisions 1 and 2, such mixtures have been grouped on the basis of
their characteristics, as follows:
Class I, Group A — Atmospheres containing acetylene.
Class I, Group B — Atmospheres containing acrolein, butadiene, ethylene oxide,
propylene oxide, hydrogen, or fuel and combustible process gases containing more than
30 percent hydrogen by volume.
Class I, Group C — Atmospheres containing ethyl ether, ethylene, or gases or vapors of
equivalent hazard.
Class I, Group D — Atmospheres containing acetone, ammonia, benzene, butane,
cyclopropane, ethanol, gasoline, hexane, methane, methanol, naphtha, propane, or gases
or vapors of equivalent hazard.
Class I Temperature Considerations
The marked operating temperature of the equipment is based on either the maximum
external temperature or internal temperature of the equipment, depending on the
protection method used.
For Class I, Division 1 equipment, in general, the operating temperature is the maximum
temperature of external surfaces of the equipment. For Class I, Division 2 equipment, in
general, the operating temperature is the maximum temperature of all parts of the
equipment, including internal parts, that may be exposed to the flammable material.
Equipment is required to be marked with the operating temperature or operating
temperature code if the maximum operating temperature is more than 100°C (212°F).
This temperature marking shall not exceed the ignition temperature of the specific gas or
vapor to be encountered.
Class I Equipment in Class II Locations
Equipment Listed or Classified for use in Class I locations is not necessarily acceptable
for Class II locations as it may not be dusttight or operate at a safe temperature when
blanketed with dust.
Class II Equipment
Dust-ignition-proof equipment for use in Class II hazardous locations, as defined in the
NEC, is tested with respect to acceptability of operation in the presence of combustible
dusts in air. For purposes of area classification, the NEC groups combustible dust-air
mixtures as follows:
Class II, Group E — Atmospheres containing combustible metal dusts, including
aluminum, magnesium, and their commercial alloys, or other combustible dusts whose
particle size, abrasiveness, and conductivity present an equivalent hazard.
Class II, Group F — Atmospheres containing carbon black, charcoal, coal or coke dusts
which have more than 8 percent total volatile material (carbon black per ASTM D1620,
charcoal, coal and coke dusts per ASTM D271) or atmospheres containing these dusts
sensitized by other materials so that they present an explosion hazard.
Class II, Group G — Atmospheres containing combustible dusts not included in Group
E or F, including flour, grain, wood, plastic and chemicals.
Division 1: Location where a flammability or combustible atmosphere is present
under normal operating conditions.
Division 2: Location where a flammability or combustible atmosphere is present only
under abnormal conditions.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm REALLY hoping they texture the reflector (though the currect ones have a pretty nice beam as it is) and put the 4 batts all side by side for a shorter body....

CLHC

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
I'm REALLY hoping that they texture the reflector. . .
One can do simply do that themselves. Just make sure not to "mess up" that Lambertian(?) dome.

That's all.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
One can do simply do that themselves. Just make sure not to "mess up" that Lambertian(?) dome.

That's all.

But lets' face it, it will look better if done professionally. By "look better" I mean the beam will be nicer.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I agree with you. No arguments there. I've done some "sputtering" to my "stock" reflectors and did achieve them SureFire-like beam quality. VERY NICE!

Enjoy!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
No kidding, especially since it's a metal reflector and part of a lamp assembly module.

... Come to think of it, I'm not in favor of texturing it, the light doesn't put out enough light to sacrifice a chunk to texturing right now, maybe when they come out with a K2 version?

KDOG3 said:
But lets' face it, it will look better if done professionally. By "look better" I mean the beam will be nicer.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
... Come to think of it, I'm not in favor of texturing it, the light doesn't put out enough light to sacrifice a chunk to texturing right now, maybe when they come out with a K2 version?

my thoughts exactly. the appeal of the propolymer luxeon is its throw that is uncharacteriatic for the output it gives. Texturing it may make it lose some of its appeal in its niche market.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:

I agree. I like the beam the way it is, at this point.

x2x3x2

Banned
Anyone knows if the 4AA and 3C lamp assemblies are the same? ie, can i run the 3C module on 4AA? I'm thinking of making a custom body to have 4AA placed in parallel in a really short body. Probably just slightly thicker than the 3C body.

x2x3x2 said:
Anyone knows if the 4AA and 3C lamp assemblies are the same? ie, can i run the 3C module on 4AA? I'm thinking of making a custom body to have 4AA placed in parallel in a really short body. Probably just slightly thicker than the 3C body.

Negative. Different circuits.

x2x3x2

Banned
I see, thanks, btw from the streamlight site the specs of the new/old version of the 3C lux have different runtimes too.

DIVISION 1: 4 hours continuous at full intensity. Up to 15 hours to 50% output intensity. Up to 24 hours to 25% output intensity.

DIVISION 2: 5.5 hours continuous at full intensity. 2 additional hours of declining output.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
I see, thanks, btw from the streamlight site the specs of the new/old version of the 3C lux have different runtimes too.

DIVISION 1: 4 hours continuous at full intensity. Up to 15 hours to 50% output intensity. Up to 24 hours to 25% output intensity.

DIVISION 2: 5.5 hours continuous at full intensity. 2 additional hours of declining output.

Improved regulation perhaps?

I was under the impression that the PP Lux was Division 1 rated already? (Of course i have been known to be wrong a time or two...just ask my wife :grin2: )

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:

Thanks for the info on the 3C Div 1. I did not know it had 3 different output levels.
drool.gif

Oops, now I see it is time to X % output, not 3 different levels. I guess I will wait till www.flashlightreviews.com does a review on the new DIV 1 3C model.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new version is now listed up on Fox-Intl.com and sells for $30.95. The regular version still sells for 24.95. Are the only differences in these two lights the safety rating? Are the output and runtime still the same?