HELP needed with Surefire problem

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe I´m a little too paranoid - but here it goes

As I posted I got that nice E2HA around christmas and fall in love with it right away - having read here about those bulb problems (premature failures) which surfaced lately and that IF it fails it would do so typically with the first set of 123s I had to give it a try - and voila - really had one of those lemons - failed halfway through the first 123 set.

So I thought I drop a nice email to SF to ask for help and also mentioned that if they would be so kind to send a replacement bulb if they also could include a tiny bit of whatever lube they use as it seems the unit also wansn´t turning as smooth as other happy E2 owners are reporting (checked the O-Rings - they are just pretty dry - possibly no lube on them to begin with) - also asked for a broshure/catalogue as I couldn´t attend SHOT - and thx for the reports from there from the guy with the big shoes and others
grin.gif
-

So what happened - its not really overdue but as I got no reply on my email so far I thought what the heck I give them a call on the 800 number (yes - there are ways to call US-800 numbers from overseas) - to only get that nasty "This toll-free number is disconnected" - and this on the 800 number listed on the SF web page
frown.gif

As I wouldn´t expect SF to be bancrupt (would have read here anyway ´bout it
wink.gif
) I think this just adds to the not-as-perfect Internet setup SF has IMO - one email-address listed there was faulty lately ([email protected] - I wrote to Ken about it - don´t knwo if its fixed now) - still unable to login on the SFDB (and I´m not stupid regarding the net and my PC) - server problems galore lately - and now an outdated 800 number listed there too.

Now my answer to the ones in-the-know:

Any email adress besides [email protected] to ask for help ?

Any working 800 number to call ?

TIA

Klaus

And no - this isn´t meant to bash SF - this flashlight is just the greatest one I ever had and possibly will have - besides one of the new SFs - oh my - virus still activ.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes it takes them 3-4 days to reply. Sit tight. That number works for me, maybe the transatlantic connection problem?

The number on the bottom of SC2 is 800-828-8809

The DB goes down very often, just like their website.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex,

thanks for replying - try that number - thats the one I tried to use and got that "disconnected" message - it won´t work - all other 800-numbers I used and use are doing fine - just tried one other in between two calls on the SF 800 - the only one NOT working is the one from SF - so why shouldn´t SF number work when all others do ?

And the problem with the DB is that I have a working member name and password (even 2 of them to make it work but still) - it seems I can login at least I get no "Wrong Password" or something - I can look at the main page of the DB - trying to access a forum I´m bounced back to the login screen. Reply from SF is more or less "You are the only one with this problem so it is not ours but yours" - so as it is only the SFDB where I have problems and no other of the boards I surf by I just leave the SFDB alone - while sometimes it bugs me when people on threads here on CPF just say - go read on SFDB about this or that - when I just can´t - so maybe David should have a "don´t link to but copy from" policy installed - just kidding.

Klaus

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Klaus. You struck a nerve for me. I to have had concerns about SF lately. They seem to be getting very sloppy in many areas of their company. Lamps that fail or actualy explode. Hard to turn threads. Poor upkeep on the web site. Even the catalog that you asked for. It's very limited in scope. Maybe 5% of what was in the catalog 5 years ago. But it is in color. Sounds like Mag. "Give the people color". As soon as one of our (CPF) prefered dealer's get the E2e I will buy one than it's bye-bye SF for me untill the time of improvement comes along.
As to your remark, "(and I´m not stupid
regarding the net and my PC)", NEVER would I think that about you. End of rant.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Klause, did you try putting in a fresh set of CR123 batteries first? THe E2 that i got in October was the first Surefire OR CR123 battery operated torch. So i had NO idea that 75 minutes of light would go by so quicky with the first set of batteries
grin.gif

ANywhoo, along the way with the first set, i monitored the voltage from each battery, and the light worked fine down to 2.6 volts. Then when 2.5 volts hit, the light became a little dimmer. then when 2.48 volts hit, it died.

I never knew how CR123 battery operted lights worked so i thought the torch would drain the batteries down to about 1.2 volts like regular alkaline operated light do. So i complained on this board how shitty my E2 was for a while and i went back to the store i bought it from and told them they sold me a lemon. Lo and behold they took it apart, put fresh batteries in, and the damn thing worked! hehehe...and i had to pay them 13 bucks for a new set of batteries. sheesh.
mad.gif
grin.gif

So...did you try a new set of batteries?
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:
Hey Klause, did you try putting in a fresh set of CR123 batteries first?...

...and i had to pay them 13 bucks for a new set of batteries.

So...did you try a new set of batteries?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LEDagent,

I've found that the brand and date of the 123A's make a significant difference.

I used to use Sanyos because they were so cheap. I soon realized why they were so cheap.

I've found that Surefires are at least the equal of Duracell Ultras and are cheaper. They have a particularly useful feature: they are dated bi-monthly, or even monthly. As far as I know, this is unique.

If they are really fresh they should register between 3.26 - 3.28v. You want to start with the highest possible voltage and I think you'll be pleased by the small but significant increase in runtime.

I got them at Arizona Gun Runners for about $30.00 ($2.50 per battery.) I don't know how much they are now after SF's unconscionable 30% price gouge.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 10-12 Sanyo's in use right now & have had no problem. I won't claim they're as good as SF, but for $1.62 VS $3.33, I can live with them. TX

Lonewolf

Enlightened
Klaus: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> (checked the O-Rings - they are just pretty dry - possibly no lube on them to begin with) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My E1 HA that I got last week had no lube I mean zero. At least I had my trusty tube of free Super-Lube. Did find it a little irritating to pay so much and have QC lacking.

phred:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Lamps that fail or actualy explode. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine exploded in my 8AX.

phred:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As soon as one of our (CPF) prefered dealer's get the E2e I will buy one ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one and you won't be dissapointed great light.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Klaus

For what it's worth I called and gave customer service at Sure Fire your email and explained you were having problems getting through over the phone. They advised they would contact you.

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it seems like SF quality has taken a sharp turn for the worse recently. Or maybe more like taken a nose-dive. My first few were works of art, but now the recent ones make me think about going back to Maglite.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for all good advice and help

@phred - Possibly just growing pains for them - I hope they work it out

@LEDagent - its not the batteries

@Scouter - hmmh - really makes me wonder - will try again today - maybe the phone system behaves like the server - nervous breakdowns ?

@William/TTS - thanks a lot for your kind support

@5BY5 - sounds similar to my experience

@Aaron - but they not even introduced colored switch-covers this show
grin.gif

Lets see how this will work out - given that everyone with a bad experience praises SF afterward about having sorted out everything to perfection - actually I think having some minor problem and having it solved right makes often for an even happier customer than no problem at all IMO.

Klaus

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Lets see how this will work out - given that everyone with a bad
experience praises SF afterward about having sorted out everything
to perfection - actually I think having some minor problem and
having it solved right makes often for an even happier customer
than no problem at all IMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Klaus. I agree that a company that quickly tries to make a customer whom has issues a happy camper is a great thing but the QC issues that are cropping up bodes ill for SF. With the very high prices and reputation that SF has, problems such as has been happening should never have gone out the door. I should hate to think that a military or LEO unit was ever in a tactical situation and have the lamp go "pop". I do hope that the QC dept at SF has a major house cleaning.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> My first few were
works of art, but now the recent ones make me think about going
back to Maglite. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aaron. Lets not go overboard.
grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@phred - agree with your point - in a tactical situation it wouldn´t be great to have a failure - especially if you bought your equipment for that purpose and choose things accordingly.

I just got off the phone with SF after calling in on the standard number (800 still didn´t worked for me though) and had a nice conversation with two persons - both very friendly and helpful - so I hope to have my parts coming in later. On a sidenote - when chit-chating a bit with one guy there we also talked "flashlight" a bit - and besides the E2e he also carries a ARC AAA - great.

Klaus